IDEal - New BB IDE - New version

Community Forums/Showcase/IDEal - New BB IDE - New version

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#1]
If you are new to IDEal, here is a short description, or better visit the first thread and read more about it here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=66160

IDEal is an advanced IDE for B2D/B+/B3D ... SOME of the most advanced features of IDEal are:

REAL-TIME STRICT emulation - IDEal will highlight ( default in RED color ) all undeclared/misspelled variables immediately as you type ! Missed/ unmatched braces are also highlighted as bad. Many syntax errors will be immediately visible also !
IDEal is very fast... It'll load, parse and highlight a file with 15000 code lines in just 1 second.
Powerful highlighting and parsing engine, additionally to keywords, numbers , separators... will recognize and separately highlight inbuilt functions, globals, locals, labels etc.
Totally customizable.. you can fully customize menus, toolbars, layout, but most importantly, you can customize context menu and all the shortcuts.
Advanced smart project wide intellisense for types/fields
Advanced smart customizable autocomplete system
Advanced AutoIndent system will fully autoindent code as you type
Powerful auto correct of variable/function casing - When you chdange variable casing in it's declaration, IDEal will change casing of all occurrences in whole project, not only the newly created ones
Code Browser - Multiple levels Code browser will allow you to go to the Previous/Next position and works globally, i.e. positions can be in different files
HotCodes - short abbreviations for long code/variables/functions ...
IDEal can remember all bookmarks and folding states of the files when you close them, so the next time files will be opened in exact same state
Layouts ( aka perspectives ) - save and restore different layouts with just a key press
Workspaces - Workspace is all your opened files/projects ... you can save workspace and restore later, you can load last active workspace ( aka 'load last opened files' ) etc.

Global bookmark system , Scope completion , Unlimited number of compilers , Instant( realtime ) function help with parameter highlighting , Snippets manager, File Explorer with Favorites, Code Folding , Indent highlighting , Line wrapping, 6 different user interface styles, Split window functionality etc...

Latest version is 0.8.62 :

You can download it here ( 2.9MB ): www.rapidshare.com/files/11886513/IDEalSetup_0.8.62.exe

Or wait for a better server - Boiled Sweets will update the version on www.Boiledsweets.com/IDEal soon

Changes in this version: (0.8.62)

[Added] Scope tips - IDEal will show the first line of Scope/Loop in the status bar when the cursor is over the keyword that ends that scope/loop !
[Added] 'Includes' in the CodeExplorer with right-click menu to open them in IDEal
[Added] Ability to Highlight as 'Bad' functions that return value, if braces are missing after the function call.
[Added] Option to select the default page for the 'new window' command in the browser
[Added] Option 'open browser at stat-up'
[Added] Ability to open html files from the file explorer in the internal browser
[Added] 'Save All FIles' command
[Added] Option - Home key jumps to the first position in the line
[Changed] Case correction will not apply in declaration lines
[Fixed] Closing project before saving would not save the changes
[Fixed] Loading empty ( no files ) project would crash IDEal
[Fixed] When adding files to a project, IDEal would ask for every file if multiple files were selected
[Fixed] Removing file from a project and manually closing it may crash the editor
[Fixed] Autocomplete would not start when writing parameters for arrays and also text would be written in red
[Fixed] Parser bug that would throw an exception in some cases where local variables are declared after the last function in the file, or if 'one-line' function was declared inside other function

Some of the new features are shown on this screenshot:

And this is "Scope Tip" ^^^

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#2]
Some explanations for the new features:

"Scope tips" - this is very nice new feature.. especially if you a looking at a large loops or IF/THEN statements... how many times you are looking at a bunch of 'END IF' commands and you are wondering which one is which... now position the cursor on the 'END IF' and you will se the IF statement in the status bar. Same for all loops, functions etc. I hope that you'll like this.
Note: This will function correctly only if your code is correctly indented

"Ability to Highlight as 'Bad' functions that return value, if braces are missing after the function call" - asked by Boiled Sweets, this feature can save you additional hours in
debugging your code, because compiler won't complain if you forget to add braces on some functions that require braces to function properly.
Example : MouseX() - If you forget the braces, compiler will just return zero. Now, IDEal can warn you about this kind of error.
Note: IDEal will highlight functions that are specified to return values and don't have any obligatory parameters. Functions that require parameters aren't checked for this rule, because there are functions ( like AddVertex) that can be used with or without braces, i.e. when you don't need the returning value. And compiler will anyway warn you if you omit parameters on these.
The only command that requires no parameters and can be used in both ways is "WaitKey" command, so you'll have to add braces even if you don't use the returning value.
Also note that this option is OFF by default, because it can confuse some users.

Includes - Just to note that to open them , you need to right click and choose "Open" from the menu.

Option - Home key jumps to the first position in the line - by default Home key positions the cursor to the first character in the line.

Ability to open html files from the file explorer in the internal browser
This is optional -there is an option in Preferences->Browser ... Now you can open Html files from file explorer or from favorites files in the file explorer in the internal browser.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#3]
Some tips and little explanations for those that are first time using IDEal :

1. IDEal by default emulates Strict command and will highlight in Red color all of the code that is not properly declared in the project /file. So, either turn off this option by selecting other color for "bad text" in the color scheme, or better start declaring your Local variables and put a proper userlib ( .decls ) file for libraries that are not in the project, because this option will save you numerous hours when hunting bugs in your code.

2. You can customize all of the Menus, Toolbars and even the Context menu, together with the shortcuts for all of the commands. Just right click on empty toolbar space and choose "Customize".. New "POPUP" menu will show up in the main menu line, which is your context menu in the editor. Go to "keyboard" to customize shortcuts, or arrange your menus with drag-dropping of the commands, right clicking on the commands to rename/delete them form the menu etc.

3. Custom foldable blocks of code are created using ' ;[Block] ' and ';[End]' commands. You can also create them with 'Block from selection' command

4. If you associate .bb files with IDEal, there are ten different icons to choose from for the .bb files - look into the ICONS folder...

5. When you are opening files or adding files to a project, you can select multiple files in the Open Dialog Box , so you don't need to invoke Open command for each file. Same applies when opening files from the Windows Explorer or dropping files from Windows Explorer to the editor

6. Scope completion - means Auto completion of lines with scope keywords and positioning of the cursor on the "right place". You have total control when to apply this command by using shortcut.
Better see it in action through example: type For i=1 to 10 and press CTRL+ENTER ( default shortcut for 'Complete scope' command )

7. CTRL + Left Click on the marker margin ( the one between line numbers and folding margin ) toggles breakpoint. Shift + Left Click on the same margin toggles bookmark

8. "Important comment " is made by placing ! immediately after ; in the comment itself.
; This is normal comment
;! This is important comment ( 'Comment2' color and style in the Color scheme )

9. Advanced autoindenting: Autoindent will work properly in these situations:
If a=b then c=d
---------------
If a=b then
c=d
end if
---------------
If a=b
c=d
end if
---------------
But will not indent correctly in this particular case:
If a=b c=d
So, if you're using this style, then go to the editor settings and switch to simple autoindenting , but I strongly recommend to use other 'types' of IF..THEN statements, because advanced autoindenting is so powerful once you are used to it.

ervin(Posted 2007) [#4]
This is absolutely sensational!
Thanks Trixx!

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks Ervin...

By the way, this is my not-sorted ToDo list for IDEal... all of this is planned to be implemented, but some feature goes first, some later, and some maybe never. So, feel free to vote for features that you need or to add other features to this list. Any bug fixes will have greatest priority of course :) Other depends on the time they need to be implemented, number of people that needs them etc...

External tools - this will allow you to define and start external tools ( like UPX, Cod2Doc, preprocessors ) with some parameters - like UPX 'Last Created EXE' or Cod2Doc This file/project

Refactoring step 2- Renaming Functions / Variables across the file/project

Command to list all Functions / Variables that are not used in the file/project. And maybe a similar command to show where they are used

Automatic Code Formatter- will format every added/edited line following some simple criteria that you specify. Something that will Add or Remove spaces in the line, i.e. around operators/ braces , after commas, or remove multiple spaces, add missing spaces in the line... This one will auto-beautify code for you and will reduce the need to add/delete spaces and tabs manually.

Ability to not load all files from the project - I'm still not sure about this one, it needs some clarifications first... unlike some other IDEs, IDEal is parsing and collecting information about code structures from all files in the project, and probably it's better to leave some libraries outside from the project and include only files that will be actually edited. Why ? Because I'm sure that you don't want to see types/variables from a 3rd party library in the Intellisense and Autocomplete lists, in the CodeExplorer etc.. Variables that you don't need to know anything about them and you surely won't use them. So isn't it better to just put an "include" for that library and if you ever want to load that library, you can open it from includes. And if you want to edit/add features in that library, then it should be included in the project.
Don't take me wrong on this, this is easily doable, but I just need an opinion - Should IDEal parse files that are not loaded, or you just need for them to be visible in the project Explorer. Should "Find in Project" search them too or not ? Should "Goto Declaration" open ( then they should be parsed ) them or not ...

Option to not copy project's files in the project's folder when creating project... This one is also problematic - currently projects are based on relative paths, so you can easily take you project folder and copy it anywhere, start on another PC, use it form an USB drive etc ... If I change to relative paths, all this will be lost, i.e. you'll have to recreate the project everytime you move your project. USB drives for example, take different drive letter on a different PC. And I don't like the idea for this to be optional, so let's think again about this one.

Listing of Media files ( images, sounds, objects ) in the Code Explorer

option - Apply "autoindent this function" automatically when commenting/uncommenting block of lines

Option to not sort in the code explorer and option to 'Show All Together' in the code Explorer

Print/ Print Preview

Export to HTML

Find & Replace: Exclude comments from searching / Find only in comments ...

Option to mark all lines that were edited after the file was loaded

AutoBackup /Incremental Backup implementation

ToDo /History implementation

Ability to include .txt, html and media files in the project

Expression Evaluator - this one would support all standard math and all blitz math functions.

Icon hacker - to change the icon in the created executable.. maybe I'll leave this job to the external tool, i.e. to start " ResHacker LastCreatedExe "

Userlib creator - to create .decls file for your project / library

Spell check for strings in the files

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
I love "Scope Tip", really ^^ I once thought it would be nice to have a "jump to corresponding Endif/Wend/Until" etc., but this is just as powerful as it.

My code format source in the archives had the same problem with If a=b c=d, btw. It's bad style anyway ;)

Great piece of work, thanks a lot!

hockings(Posted 2007) [#7]
My 2c worth Trixx,
As far as moving project files goes - I don't want to have my files moved for my projects, I'd like the IDE to keep track of where all the files are and leave them as is. Particularly when reusing code, it's good to keep one copy of a file, and have several programs reference it.

Loading all files from a project - my opinions...

Should IDEal parse files that are not loaded? Yes, just to grab function names etc. Have the ability to turn off searching of non-opened files incase you have a library with too many things that will now show up.

Should "Find in Project" search them too or not ? Yup

Where you have changed the "home" key so it can go to either the start of the line or first word through an option, how about instead having it go firstly to the first word, then the start of a line if you press the key again?

I'd also like to see an icon changer as part of the program.

Good work mate!

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#8]
Trixx, once again... many thanks! :)

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#9]
Impressive list of to do!
Of course, my vote goes for the use of Cod2Doc with IDEal!!! ;-)

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#10]
With the goto declaration, the cursor must be at the beginning of the function, it does not work if the function name is highlited or if the cursor is in the middle of the function name. I think it should let you do that.

Thanks again for the update!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#11]
Is this windows only?

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#12]
Thanks guys,

@jfk - Back then, I used your code for indenting my code :)

@hockings
As far as moving project files goes - I don't want to have my files moved for my projects, I'd like the IDE to keep track of where all the files are and leave them as is. Particularly when reusing code, it's good to keep one copy of a file, and have several programs reference it

Ok.. this will be optional

Should IDEal parse files that are not loaded? Yes, just to grab function names etc

Hmm, if it's only for the function names, than you can add userlib file for that library, so if they are parsed, they should be parsed completely.

Where you have changed the "home" key so it can go to either the start of the line or first word through an option, how about instead having it go firstly to the first word, then the start of a line if you press the key again

This option is in Editor settings -> General , but defaults to off, and by default it should behave just as you described , i.e. pressing it once brings you to the first word, pressing it once again brings you to the start of the line. This option was requested in the previous thread.

@RepeatUntil: Cod2Doc support is certainly coming in the next release :)

@mindstorms
With the goto declaration, the cursor must be at the beginning of the function, it does not work if the function name is highlited or if the cursor is in the middle of the function name. I think it should let you do that.

I just tried it here and goto declaration works if the cursor is anywhere on the function name. Please check this. I'll make it so it can work when the keyword is selected too.

@AngelDaniel : IDEal is only for B3D/B+, so it is Windows only :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#13]
Had a play with this last night (still excellent stuff!), but in a previous version there was a setting to have a particular HTML page displayed upon startup by default (I used to have the command reference come up), but this version it seems to display that page, but close it right away (leaving it displaying no page).

I'll check some more on different machines, but has something changed? I've scoured the prefs but everything seems to indicate it should be working as before...

That being said, are you *sure* you wouldn't take a donation if it was thrust at you? :o)

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#14]
@LineOf7s: There is separate tab "Browser" in the preferences now, where you can set up the default page and some other new options...
But I just noticed that if you choose "Set to def.compiler commands index" that it will set up the proper path but with a .html extension, and it should be .htm
So, just delete that "l" on the end and it will work for you. I'll correct this for the next release. Thanks for noticing this :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#15]
Excuse me, probably I missed it, is there a way to set the autoindent char, eg: indent using one tab, or one space, or two spaces?

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#16]
Trixx: Yes, I noticed that "Browser" tab, and I also noticed there was an extra 'l' on the end, so I addressed both of those, and yet it comes up with the command reference (as it should) only for a split second (10ms?) before closing again.

I'll look more into it - perhaps I've... done something.

[edit] Tested it here at work and it worked fine. Dammit. :o) Although, your default Blitz directory still comes up with this mythical "Blitz3D194" folder (is it yours?) for where Blitz3D is installed. My Blitz3D folder has always been called "Blitz3D" by default. It's a teensy lil thing, but I thought I'd mention it (again, since someone else did at some stage, I'm sure). [/edit]

[edit2] I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I set it up as normal, and exited. Fired it up again, and it worked! Clicked on the 'Settings' menu, and it crashed! :o( Left me with the following message:

<BEGIN REPORT - PLEASE DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS LINE>

**********>> Created: 17/01/2007, 6:54:36 PM<<***********
IDEal version :0.8.62
App. Path :D:\Program Files\IDEal
File Name :frmOptions
Method Name :PopulateCompilers
Error Description :Element not found
Error Number :35601
Error Line :0
Error Source :ListItems
OS Info :Windows XP Version:5.1 Build:2600
Files opened :1

<END REPORT>

I fired it up again, but now it was back to functioning like it was before: Command Reference would flash up for a split second upon opening, and then close. I hope the error report helps. [/edit]

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#17]
Thanks for the update.

I want a couple things to work like the native IDE:
Can the function list sort by the order they are in the file instead of alphabetical?
Can it be so that you only have to single click on a function for it to jump to its line of code?

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#18]
@jfk:

Settings -> Editor Settings -> Tab Value (1 - 30)

Sets how many characters things indent by.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#19]
0.8.62 can also be grabbed from the usual mirror...

http://www.boiledsweets.com/ideal/

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#20]

Can the function list sort by the order they are in the file instead of alphabetical?

I have already requested this. Come on Trixx :-)

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#21]
@Boiled

I had to download it *twice* in one day from that accursed Rapidshare - you're slipping! :o)

(aka thanks for hosting)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#22]
@lineof7,

sorry was in Scotland, somwhere I'm usally not so missed the release. Won't happen again ;-)

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#23]
@Jfk:
Excuse me, probably I missed it, is there a way to set the autoindent char, eg: indent using one tab, or one space, or two spaces

As LineOf7s said, there is an option in Editor Settings->General for Tab value, and if you want to replace TABs with spaces there is also an option "Insert spaces for TABs "

@LineOf7s: LOL, I should replace that B3D194 with a standard one , I have 6 separate versions of B3D installed here, and it was mean to be some kind of "tip" for users to tell them that they can have many B3D versions installed at the same time. You know, if you want to test your code with some older version of B3D without reinstalling it.

I'll look more into this browser problem, thanks for the error report.. just tell me if clicking on the "commands reference" command in the browser works ok ? When the "command reference" page close immediately after starting, does it leave a "blank" tab in the browser, or no tabs at all ?

@Curtastic and Boiled: I think that "unsorted functions" feature will probably come with the next release.

Can it be so that you only have to single click on a function for it to jump to its line of code?

No problem, I'll add this as an option for the next release

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#24]
thanks for this trixx,
is there any way to get the original blitzide colors?

and is there a way to disable the superstrict mode, with red varibles?

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#25]
@Trixx
The "commands reference' button in the browser works fine - no problem. I'm not on my Windows machine at the moment, but when I start IDEal it flashes up the command reference, closes it, and leaves it in a state the same as what the previous version did. I don't know if that's a blank tab, or no tab (I think it's the latter), but it's certainly the same as the previous version's default was.

@Slunkar
You can 'disable' the superstrict mode by changing the colour of the 'bad' code from red, to the same colour of the 'good' code.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#26]
@Slunkar: Did you try the "Simple Blitz" color scheme ? See Settings->Color Styles . I think that is most similar to the original BB IDE . You may need just to change the color for "Bad text" to white to disable the strict mode.

@LineOf7s Weird, it's almost the same command, just executed at start. I'll look into this ...

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#27]
@Trixx

Okay, I'm back from my day at the beach, and I can now verify that startup results in no tab at all, not a blank tab.

[edit] Further information: I currently have it set so it starts without a project/file loaded. If I start IDEal by double-clicking on an associated .bb file (ie start with a file rather than without), the command reference tab in the Help screen stays as it should. [/edit]

[edit2] More testing shows it only fails to display when it's set to Restore Last Workspace (doesn't matter if I had a file open before or not). If I set it to start with a blank file, or no file, it works perfectly. [/edit2]

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#28]
@Lineof7s: Thank you for the detailed explanation... It really helped me

Now I can reproduce it here, there is definately a conflict between opening of the default help page and loading of the last workspace, so this is a bug that will be fixed for the next release. Thanks again.

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#29]
thanks,

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#30]
Reproduceable bug! w00t!

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#31]
I have encountered a weird error, I tried to install another version of IDEal, and now none of the versions load...There is no error at all, the loading screen does not come up, and windows task manager only sees the ideal.exe process for about 2 seconds...This is happening through multiple uninstalls and reinstalls of all of the past versions, with the exact same problem...I do not know what happened, but it is not working any more :(

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#32]
@mindstorms: I found one bug with installing/uninstalling just as you describe... I was hoping that nobody will experience this until the next release where it 'll be fixed. Please try this version and tell me if it works for you ..
[edit] Link removed [/edit]

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#33]
Works great trixx!

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#34]
I'm glad that it's ok... use this version until a new release is out.... which should be in several days...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#35]
Trixx,

you rock man!

Been using IDEal heavily for my BIG project (qoob), 5 years in development and almost finished.

Anyhow using IDEal with this project has confirmed what I thought and that is IDEal is the VERY VERY best IDE out there for Blitz3D bar NONE and I have tried them all.

MANY thanks, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

Oh and if you would like a free full version of any of my projects please let me know and I would be more than happy to give you it....

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#36]
Hey, nice to hear that :)

Oh and if you would like a free full version of any of my projects please let me know and I would be more than happy to give you it....

Hmm, let me think about it... Retrosphere maybe ? I liked Trailblazer on my CPC... I even started to develop a similar game few years ago, but it was abandoned...
Just joking... thanks , but I must finish the IDE first, I promised myself ...no games until it's finished :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#37]
Trixx,

just get the unsorted functions working in IDEal then it's finished :-)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#38]
Trixx, just wanted to say that this is without doubt the best IDE for Blitz that I have used (just discovered it, a little late I know ;) and I say that as an owner of both Visual Blitz, Protean and countless others.

You have done an excellent job an have produced an editor that is not only easy to use but also one that looks fab. Well done. I see you have some great new features planned too, do you have an estimate as to how long these will take you to add in?

One last thing that I would like to see other than the ability to change the exe`s icon is a button in the help browser to take you straight to the scancodes keyboard picker. That would be most handy. And maybe a place to download other peoples colour themes and so on. That would be cool too.

Keep up the great work, oh by the way do you plan on adding a help guide of all the features at some point?

Jason.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#39]
Trixx, one other small thing.

When searching you really have to highlight the search a little better...

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#40]
@QuickSilva: Thanks, it's nice to see one more satisfied user :)

You have done an excellent job an have produced an editor that is not only easy to use but also one that looks fab. Well done. I see you have some great new features planned too, do you have an estimate as to how long these will take you to add in?

I don't know, some that were requested will be in the next release, but also several of them will probably be dropped because it seems that no one needs them :)

One last thing that I would like to see other than the ability to change the exe`s icon is a button in the help browser to take you straight to the scancodes keyboard picker. That would be most handy. And maybe a place to download other peoples colour themes and so on. That would be cool too.

About the scancodes picker, it's one click away from the "commands reference", I wasn't sure if it's worth one button more... but it's very easy to add this, so expect this soon.
About the proper Help guide... that is the most boring part of development :) But it's planned when I'm done with all of the features...

@BoiledSweets: What are you proposing for this to be better highlighted ? You mean the word that is found to be better highlighted or the line or... ?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#41]
Anything you add will make worthy additions. It will be nice to actually use a finished IDE for a change instead of one that never gets completed.

Great job your doing and it`s nice to see your open to other peoples views.

Jason.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#42]
Yes Trixx,

also what files do I need to copy across to move my current settings to another machine?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#43]
Sorry if you have already mentioned this but will it be possible to open .txt files in the IDE in the future?

Jason.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#44]
@Boiled: You can change the color for "inactive selection" - that color is used for highlighting during search process. Is this sufficient or not ?

For transferring of your settings on another PC, you need to copy "conf" and "layout" folders, and also the "layout.mp" file in the main folder. You may also want to copy some customized color styles from the "styles" directory.
This way all your layout settings ( customizations, shortcuts etc... ) will be copied to the new installation. Compilers, Hotcodes and some other settings are in the "conf" folder.
But you can't easily transfer "options" settings because they are stored in the registry. If you are good with the registry editing, you may transfer them also, but it's much easier to open "Editor settings" and configure these settings on the new machine because they need no more than 1 minute to set up.

Sorry if you have already mentioned this but will it be possible to open .txt files in the IDE in the future?

You will be able to add txt and media files in the project tree very soon, but you probably mean to open them in the file tab ? If so, are you expecting some new commands/functions that goes with simple text editor ( formatting for example ), or just plain text editing ?

Réno(Posted 2007) [#45]
You are making a great job !

I've just put the "Blitz" font of BB2D in my font directory, because I like the same letter size in the IDE.

Just a little thing, we have now to declare local variables ( if not, they are in red ), but don't mind about this ;)

If you want a free copy of my games,let me know ;)

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#46]
Thanks Réno,

Just a little thing, we have now to declare local variables ( if not, they are in red ), but don't mind about this ;)

It's better for you to declare local variables, but you can "turn off" this feature if you assign white color for the "bad text" in your color scheme.

And thanks for your offer, you have very nice games there. I'll probably pick something once IDEal is finished :)

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#47]
Just thought I would mention that when using the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen, Yu can click and drag, but the scrollbar will return to its original position if you move the mouse past about one-third of the screen. I would think that it should work every where, you only have to click on the scroll bar first.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#48]
"You will be able to add txt and media files in the project tree very soon, but you probably mean to open them in the file tab ? If so, are you expecting some new commands/functions that goes with simple text editor ( formatting for example ), or just plain text editing ?"

I was really after just simple text editing. I find it useful to have a simple text file open to add things todo etc...

I guess you may add a fully functional todo list feature though in the future?

Jason.

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#49]
Hi, can I get rid of the breakpoint margin on the left to make more room?

What about a feature where if you type "variable++" it converts to "variable=variable+1"? Just an idea.

Is there a way to do a Replace over all open files?

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#50]
What about a feature where if you type "variable++" it converts to "variable=variable+1"? Just an idea.

This would be wonderful...

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#51]
Just thought I would mention that when using the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen, Yu can click and drag, but the scrollbar will return to its original position if you move the mouse past about one-third of the screen. I would think that it should work every where, you only have to click on the scroll bar first.

It's a standard windows scrollbar, I can't change this behavior... I think it's the same for most editors and all windows controls that use scrollbar. If you try this with any listbox, textbox, it's same there too.

I was really after just simple text editing. I find it useful to have a simple text file open to add things todo etc...

Ok, thanks for the explanation... and there will be a ToDo list soon.

Hi, can I get rid of the breakpoint margin on the left to make more room?

No, but I can add this option, probably for the next release.

Is there a way to do a Replace over all open files?

Yes, just choose Search-In : All Files in the Find/Replace dialog box.

IDEal has custom built powerful parser/highlighting engine and things like this are easy to implement now. Let's just define this feature a little better...

Do you want this to be controllable with shortcut or editor should automatically make the conversion as you type ( or when you hit ENTER on that line ) ?

Let's make this more useful, so it can serve also for var=var-1 , var=var+2, and maybe var=var*5 ...
What if you have a shortcut which when pressed will add "= wordbeforecursor" so if you have typed "variable" pressing shortcut will convert it to "variable=variable" and here you can
add anything, like "+1" , "-1", " +5 " etc. ? So, it's the same number of characters typed and more functionality ?

The point is, let's make this more usable, not only for "+1" ...
Note that I think that it's better this to be implemented with shortcut, because of the wider functionality and because there may be certain situations when you may not want automatic conversion...

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#52]
Trixx, I believe BMax does something similar. May be worth checking that out to see how Mark implements it. I haven`t got the manual or the program handy so maybe someone with a little more knowledge could fill you in. I do remember though that it was a helpful feature so it could be worth adding.

Jason.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#53]
Another thing I`d like to see is a way to add documentation for commands that I have created. For example, if you look at Sprite Control (link...)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/config/spritecontrol/spritecontrol.htm

the author did a great job of adding online docs that could be called up just like Blitz`s. Would it be possible to allow the user to add his\her own docs to the user guide in a similar way? This would be a cool new feature that no other Blitz IDE has.

Jason.

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#54]

IDEal has custom built powerful parser/highlighting engine and things like this are easy to implement now. Let's just define this feature a little better...

Do you want this to be controllable with shortcut or editor should automatically make the conversion as you type ( or when you hit ENTER on that line ) ?

Hey, thanks for the interest in this idea. I'm really interested in this IDE.

How I want it to work is: All you have to do is type "var++" then press space or move the cursor anywhere, it changes to "var=var+1"

It's just so easy to use this way that I'd like the "var++" shortcut to be separate from the general "var=var[operator][value]"

"var++" isn't valid syntax so it should be okay to always automatically convert.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#55]
Another thing I`d like to see is a way to add documentation for commands that I have created

If you have a userlib file for your functions, you can simply put your html help pages ( named same as the functions ) in the BB Help/Commands Subfolder, together with all the Blitz help pages and it should work in IDEal. Please check this. Is this sufficient or you want separate folder for your help files ?

@Curtastic: Ok, I'll add this... Do you want IDEal to check if the word is a valid variable, or no matter what the word is to perform this conversion ?

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#56]
@Curtastic: Ok, I'll add this... Do you want IDEal to check if the word is a valid variable, or no matter what the word is to perform this conversion ?

Thanks. Well it should work on anything that could be a variable.
It shouldn't convert something like "hello"++ or While++. Those should be red.
But it does need to be able to recognise the entire variable such as converting:
players(p)\target\life++
to
players(p)\target\life=players(p)\target\life+1

which is an example of why it would be so useful if IDEal could do that. I hope its not a big deal to implement.

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#57]
What if you have a shortcut which when pressed will add "= wordbeforecursor" so if you have typed "variable" pressing shortcut will convert it to "variable=variable" and here you can
add anything, like "+1" , "-1", " +5 " etc. ? So, it's the same number of characters typed and more functionality ?

That's a good idea. I've been thinking about it. Instead of pressing "=" you can press "Ctrl=" and it adds the equals sign and also copies the preceding variable. That's simple enough to use. But of course I'd like ++ and -- to work also :P

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#58]
But of course I'd like ++ and -- to work also :P

Same here, and for the simple reason that coming from something like Actionscript, adding on the ++ or -- is just all you do. Being able to move from Flash programming to Blitz without having to think about it would be great. In fact, it'd also be great to have += (and -=) after a variable so you could also have 'var = var + num' appear quickly. That'd make IDEal the golden toilet of IDEs so... I'm not going to expect that :)

Thanks again Trixx.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#59]
bmax already has :+ which works the same as +=

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#60]
"If you have a userlib file for your functions, you can simply put your html help pages ( named same as the functions ) in the BB Help/Commands Subfolder, together with all the Blitz help pages and it should work in IDEal. Please check this. Is this sufficient or you want separate folder for your help files ?"

Yes, I see what you mean. That works fine. One thing that would be helpful though is the ability to load html files directly into the editor. For example in Protean I could load Sprite Candy`s manual into another tab for easy reference. Hopefully this feature will be added.

How is progress going anyway? Your doing a great job adding new features. Do you have an update todo list of things that will definately make it in?

Jason.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#61]
Ok, I think I'll implement ++ and -- first, and then will see about other variations...

@QuickSilva: You can load HTML files in the built-in browser.. you can do that by entering the path in the address combo manually or starting the HTML file from the file explorer ( be sure to check "open HTML files in the internal browser" option first. )

New version was planned for this weekend, but I decided to finally built a simple Web site, which I'm working on in this moment, and that means that the new version will be delayed by several days. Sorry.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#62]
Thats OK, your doing a great job. Keep up the good work :)
And thanks for the info.

Jason.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#63]
I'm loving this IDE. All it needs now is support for text, python and java files (and their compilers) and I will be happy. :)
[EDIT: oh and Bmax]

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#64]
Trixx,

please add incremental backups some time soon.

Ta.

mrbombermillzy(Posted 2007) [#65]
Ok everyone, lets get a grip eh? Lets just let the poor guy iron out any bugs rather than asking for automatic ass wiping functions, and the like.
The main reason why alot of people like this software, is because of its high speed startup/general navigation, and its good, not too overspecified feature set.
If it gets bogged down with all sorts of bells and whistles, then it will just end up as bloatware that will take a while to learn to use, and most people wont use most of the 'special features', (just like MS Office).
Lets keep it simple (and good).
This is the reason I program in Blitz rather than C#/ C++. I havent got time and dont particularly want to have to learn complicated IDE's as well as getting to grips with the language, and Im sure others would agree with this approach.
I mean, asking for python compilation support!!
Poor sod wont ever finish it at this rate.
You just do what you think trixx. Thats my 10p worth though..

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#66]
You're probably right. It is quite complex/sophisticated already.

Réno(Posted 2007) [#67]
100% agree ;)

Want a multi-language IDE ? Great and why not free ? So try "ConTEXT" !
http://www.context.cx/

hockings(Posted 2007) [#68]
Me too - keep it as simple as possible. If anything, allow the user to define their own macros and stuff, and let the ide be just an ide.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#69]
Well, I'm absolutely satisfied with the version of today and could actually stay like this without updating it. It's of course appreiciated that he does the great work but it's not necessary from my side as I have all I need in this version!

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#70]
I agree that all the extra added options should stay user defined as not everyone will want to use them and the choice to choose is always nice.

Jason.

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#71]
I just quickly tried this - first impression is it's fantastic. Best IDE I've tried - I think I'll be scrapping my crappy Brain editor for this.

Well done!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#72]
I must say that adding things like "index++" is asking for trouble. You should stay within the confines of the syntax of the language and not rely on the IDE to do some weird C conversion. Else what next? Code in COBOL and let the IDE convert to Blitz3D? No, no and no! Don't add this feature!!!

It's asking for trouble!

What happens when you load you mangled code into a different IDE? Syntax errors!

Trixx, PLEASE do not add this type of functionality, it makes NO sense.

Where will this end? Not good!!!!!

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#73]
I agree, I think features like these will ruin an otherwise outstanding IDE.

Jason.

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#74]
Sorry guys, but I disagree. If the IDE is designed to help make people's coding tasks quicker and easier, then I fail to see how an option for this will hurt the IDE.

You should stay within the confines of the syntax of the language and not rely on the IDE to do some weird C conversion.

I might be new to programming, but even I know that Blitz is simply lame in how you have to type things like var = var + 1. It's not like anyone is asking for stupid things here. It's a basic time saver, and that's it. And, it's fairly simple creating an option for the IDE to 'fill in the blanks', such as what it already does for the hotcodes.

Where will this end? Not good!!!!!

Sheesh man, relax a little. It's Trixx's IDE first and foremost, and he can add what he wants. If he thinks it's a dumb idea, I'm sure he'll turn it down. But, this whole, "Keep it really simple because simple is liek teh best." is just silly. If you want the IDE to just be an IDE, use the original Blitz3D editor.

I for one like IDEal because it Trixx has gone and made some great options which are helpful timesavers.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#75]
The ++ and -- thing is better to be be done in compiler layer... use it in IDEal is not bad but make it even more weird.

mrbombermillzy(Posted 2007) [#76]
Fair enough Reactor, but theres the other side of the coin to pretty much all you are saying. e.g.:

1st point:
What defines making peoples coding tasks quicker? For many its quick loading/compiling/running of programs.At this time there are no other Blitz IDE's that are anywhere as quick as this one, however, if its bloat you want instead, there are plenty..

2nd point:
Most people are used to having to type things in.I know its a bind,and 'lame', but thats programming im afraid.(!) If you want abstract mind reading, then maybe try the 30th generation of Rhapsody/Rational/IBM software.Hopefully when its available in 20 years time you wont have to type a thing, just think it up.For now, Im sure people wont mind writing an incremental variable line once or twice(I use cut and paste, so no real issues here) for the sake of compilation/loadup speed, as mentioned in point 1.

Point 3:

Yep, it is up to trixx at the end of the day, but the point I was trying to stress, is that there were plenty of other Blitz IDE's that could do many things for many people, but not ANY that are this quick to use.I would think that speed is of higher priority to the majority to little resource sapping 'extras'.

I dunno..perhaps we should have IDEal 'lite' for those of us who want fast results with compiling/loading up, and a 'Pro' version for those who want line renumbering,'to do' lists, and code conversion to PPC and ZX81 assembly language or whatever. ;P

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#77]
Don't worry people, IDEal will be simple ( as much as possible ) and it'll never be bloatware, because those, together with the speed and customization, were amongst the basic principles in development from the beginning.
Any new features added will be optional and I'll make sure that they don't make any impact on the speed.

For example, the "variable++" thing, it'll be immediately converted as you type ( optional of course ), so no worries about this one, because there is enough free resources in the routine that will check for this.

But I already learned the lesson that advanced features can easily be a problem for many users, so I'll be more careful in the future.
I'm wondering how many people are working with the AutoIndent mode set to "Simple" or "none" ? How many disabled "Strict emulation" .... just because they were not used to those features... and the truth is that those features were the most hard to develop and without them IDEal would be even faster !

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#78]
I use none indentation, I tend to indent things after comments and the auto wouldn't let me do that.

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#79]
At this time there are no other Blitz IDE's that are anywhere as quick as this one, however, if its bloat you want instead, there are plenty..

Protean being one example... but I don't think the features were the things slowing it down. I think it was just .Net. Seriously though, do you really need that much speed? All a superfast IDE is going to do is make you wish you could compile faster ;)

For now, Im sure people wont mind writing an incremental variable line once or twice(I use cut and paste, so no real issues here) for the sake of compilation/loadup speed, as mentioned in point 1.

Hey, fair enough if you're used to dealing with it, but I do a fair amount of work in Flash and it feels just slow to me, when both Flash and Javascript (and Python too, I think) use the ++ So, it might not slow you down much, but it does me.

I dunno..perhaps we should have IDEal 'lite' for those of us who want fast results with compiling/loading up

Why would it impact compiling time? And, how many times do you need to open it up a day? As I said, is speed *really* that important? I like the Opera browser (despite all the crashing, etc) because it's fast, but that's because I'm opening and closing it and its windows all day long. I'm not IDEal. Don't get me wrong, I like how light on its feet IDEal is, but it's not do-or-die for me... I can live with it being a bit slower if my coding is going to be that much faster.

I respect what you're saying though... and I'm with you- I hate bloatware. But, as Trixx has said, IDEal's a long way from bloatware ;)

How many disabled "Strict emulation"

I leave everything just as it is :)

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#80]
I agree that features shouldn't be added unless they can be disabled and also not cause the IDE to slow down.

I also agree that IDEal should not compile any code that cannot be compiled in the default editor.

For example, the "variable++" thing, it'll be immediately converted as you type ( optional of course ), so no worries about this one, because there is enough free resources in the routine that will check for this.

Thanks Trixx! Well you can make it so for this to work you have to delibrately turn this option on. So that it doesn't bug anyone.

mrbombermillzy(Posted 2007) [#81]
Great! Looks like we are all in agreement then!
I guess the reason I like streamlined programs is because I come from the 'old skool' line of thought...
Id rather optimize code, rather than up the system requirements on it.
If I can run the IDE on my ancient laptop, then thats far more use than having extra bits that I probably will never use.Its ok if you were used to something being there then you will miss it, but if youve coded 'manually' for years, which would be the case for many, then alot of these things wont really be required.Two sides to it I suppose.
And thats fair comment that its not bloatware, but I was just worried at the rate everyone was requesting features, that it wouldnt take long to turn into just that.And the poor guy probably could do with some sort of completion on his IDE after this long developing.
It sounds like trixx has the situation under control though, so Im sure everything will be hunky dory.
Well, Ive said all I have to say, so I'll just lie back down again........ :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#82]
Nice one Trixx, you rock!

Now just need incremental backups and the unsorted function list then I#m a happy bunny.

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#83]
When you click compile, the compiling box shows up...when a program has already been compiled, the compiling box simply remains blank. Perhaps it should show an error message, or compile it anywars? Also, when clicking the close button on the compile box, the same thing happens even though no program is running. Restarting fixes.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#84]
I found that the IDEal window would not remember its screen location upon restarting the program. This only happens when you do not use it in maximised mode. Maybe this small bug can be fixed.

Also the program crashed on me yesterday for the first time. I cannot reproduce it however :(

Has anyone else had any crashes? Apart from this one time I have found the program to be very stable so you`ve done a great job so far Trixx. Lets hope that there are no major problems as stability is the most important thing in the end.

Jason.

Zolyx(Posted 2007) [#85]
It's been said before but this IDE just looks drop-dead gorgeous. I would like to add my name to the "I'll definitely use this if / when it has BMax support" list :)

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#86]
@Boiledsweets: unsorted function list will be in the following release, but incremental backups will wait for one more release :(

@mindstorms:
When you click compile, the compiling box shows up...when a program has already been compiled, the compiling box simply remains blank
Can you tell me which compile option you used at that moment ( "Compile an Run", "Debug compile" or "Create exe" ) ?
Can you reproduce this ?

@QuickSilva:
I found that the IDEal window would not remember its screen location upon restarting the program. This only happens when you do not use it in maximised mode

Thanks for reporting this, I'll make it to reposition properly. Regarding the crash that you mentioned, did it crashed to desktop or it threw an exception ? Can you e-mail me or post here the last record in your error.log file ( located in the IDEal's directory ) ? There are also few small bugs fixed for the next release, so maybe that bug is already fixed...
And of course, stability has the highest priority...

@prospero: Thanks, point taken :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#87]
And the burning question is when is the next release?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#88]
Trixx, just had a quick look for that log file but I cannot see it. I have tried unhiding hidden files. Please could you point me in the right direction?

It crashed to the desktop BTW when I tried to compile my code with compile and run. (I think...)

Looking forward to the next release.

Jason.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#89]
Something that would possibly be quite cool for a non-OO language like Blitz3D, is this:

You have a bunch of functions like these:
CreateAlien()
MoveAlien()
KillAlien()
CreatePlayer()
MovePlayer()
UpdatePlayer()
..etc.

..and in the function window it (optionally) displays a tree view, something like this:
Alien>
..Create
..Move
..Kill

Player>
..Create
..Move
..Update

So you gain a faint whiff of OO. Would be nice.

It could either respond to capital letters in function names, as above, or underscores (eg. create_player).

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#90]
Even cleverer if it picks up plurals (UpdateAliens).

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#91]
I am using the compile(debug) button. When another compiled(debug) program is running, the button just brings up a window that does nothing...have to exit the box then try again after closing the other program.

For the more nasty one: Compile in release mode, then click exit before it finishes compiling. There is no way anymore to compile anything...have to restart ideal.

DeCato(Posted 2007) [#92]
I just downloaded IDEal and it looks and feels great.

But ... it seems I have a problem (unless this is supposed to happen) : when the autocomplete pops up - automatically or by ALT SPACE - it always disappears after about half a second, so I cannot make a selection.

The same goes for the command help that pops up to show the parameters. It is only there for a very short time (and yes, I do not touch the mouse or the keyboard)

Is this normal and/or can I change the time the popup stays active?

EDIT: I don't know what happened but after playing with the layouts for a while it seems to work now.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#93]
I have that problem occasionally as well. I also have a problem from time to time where it says "Cannot create 3D scene" when I compile.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#94]
And the burning question is when is the next release
This week, I promise :)

Trixx, just had a quick look for that log file but I cannot see it. I have tried unhiding hidden files. Please could you point me in the right direction

That file is created only when IDEal throws an exception, so obviously you don't have that file... I'll look into this more to see if anything can go wrong while compiling.

@Beaker: Huh, I've no idea at this moment how to implement that "grouping" of functions. It's possible, but it may need a lot of work... Will think about that...

@mindstorms:
I am using the compile(debug) button. When another compiled(debug) program is running, the button just brings up a window that does nothing...have to exit the box then try again after closing the other program

If you want to start two instances of the compiler, you must use original console... See "Use original console" option in the compilers settings tab. But I'll see to make it work without original console option.

Compile in release mode, then click exit before it finishes compiling
By Exit, you mean closing the small "compile" window while compiling ?

@DeCato:
Thanks... The autocomplete behavior you described is supposed to happen only in the first line of the file... It is intentional because the first line is treated differently just to prevent some other bug to happen. Please check this.

@Beaker:
I also have a problem from time to time where it says "Cannot create 3D scene" when I compile

Please check if you are using the latest version ( 0.8.62 ) ?. This bug was reported in the previous version, but I'm sure it was solved for this release ?

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#95]
Yes, I'm using 0.8.62. Like I say it's only occasional, so it doesn't bother me to much.

Something I don't like is that you have to hit F9 to compile with debug on. My natural reaction is to hit F5, like you do in the Blitz IDE, and have a debug toggle.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#96]
I think that I would like to see a debug toggle added too. Any chance of adding one?

Jason.

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#97]
Yes, it is the "x" button on the compile window.
Thanks!

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#98]
@Beaker & QuickSilva: I was always finding it tedious to constantly switch between release and debug mode in other IDEs, so I thought that having two different commands would be better, because you don't need to remember which mode you are currently using. It's a little late to change it now because someone else can complain. I'm sure that you'll get used to it very soon :)

@mindstorms: Ok, thanks for the explanation

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#99]
I like the F5 and F9 thing. But I think F5 should be debug mode because I rarely use release mode.

How about the option switches them?!? That way F5 can do the current mode (like the default IDE) and F9 do the opposite.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#100]
I see your point Trixx, just need to get used to a new way of doing things. I agree though that F5 should be for debug mode. Maybe a simple option could be added so the user could switch the two keys as Curtastic suggests?

Jason.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#101]
@Curtastic & QuickSilva: I think that you know that you can simply customize the shortcuts associated for these commands, i.e. to change them, so F5 can be for debug and F9 (or CTRL+F5 for example ) for release mode ?
Please don't tell me that you didn't know this :)
I'm still not convinced that toggle for debug/release would be better solution... and switch again would need toggling for "current mode"... ?

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#102]
You can have both:
F5 does what the toggle says.
F9 runs debug.
F10 runs release.

I don't think the toggle is "better" it's just a way to add an improvement yet keep the original functionality of the default IDE. Some people just want to never press anything except F5. Therefore a toggle is needed to make F5 do two different things.

Customizing the keys seems so easy now but it was one of the hardest things to figure out how to do. I only know because I asked. There should be a menu item added somewhere maybe like settings->keyboard.

Whichever way, as long as F5 defaults to debug compile ;)
And thanks for hearing everyone out :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#103]
Sorry Trixx, I didn`t know that you could change the shortcuts for those commands.

Thanks for pointing it out, it solves my problem completely. I`m just so use to pressing F5 for debug mode that I keep compiling in release mode by mistake which is a tad annoying. It`s my fault though not yours so nothing needs to be changed in the IDE.

Jason.

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2007) [#104]
Small bug I've noticed with IDEal and the only one I might add (great editor, btw) is with certain advanced data types. When you have types within types and create an array of the container type, the IDE doesn't recognise members of the subtype.

To put things into a better perspective, here's an example of a data type which IDEal would not recognise.
The "\mnu$" following the second type is always listed in red and autocomplete won't recognise it as a variable. If, however, you don't use an array for the container (in my example, mnu_main) it will recognise it without fail. Odd problem, but a minor issue since it compiles perfectly fine.

Great editor, and thanks for sharing!

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#105]
I don't think the toggle is "better" it's just a way to add an improvement yet keep the original functionality of the default IDE. Some people just want to never press anything except F5. Therefore a toggle is needed to make F5 do two different things

Ok, I agree, but I'm sure that two commands are actually better solution once you get used to it. And I don't want to clutter the interface with additional toggle if it's not necessary.
I'll add a menu item for "customize" and "keyboard". I know that IDEal lacks a proper help file, I promise there will detailed help file in the final release.

I'm glad that we solved this "issue"... by the way, If you didn't noticed already, you can customize all shortcuts, menus, including the editor's context menu. Context menu is added to the main menu as "POPUP" during customization.

@Neo Genesis: Nice find ! I was trying very complex combinations of arrays/types during developing, but obviously missed that one . And thanks for the example provided.

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#106]
I found a small bug with the function describer thingy...

When you type in a function, a popup comes up with the parameters that you can pass to it as well as showing at the bottom of the screen. When the function has many parameters, or parameters with long names, the boxes do not scroll to show what the variable you are currently typing in is:

Function hi(a_long_variable_name=600,another_long_variable_name=800,yet_another_long_variable_name=1000,one_more_to_be_certain=30,you_cant_see_me)
	Print "hi"
End Function

hi(6,4,1,2,3)     ;when put the cursor on the "3", the boxes do not show anything highlighted red, or even the variable name.

This is a drastic example, but I first encountered it in the function for JFK's sunbeam code (the createsunbeams function):

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#107]
Trixx, is the next release coming soon?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#108]
I`m waiting eagerly too...

Jason.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#109]
@mindstorms: Hmm, I can see them all here, probably because I'm working on 1280x1024, but obviously there is a problem with displaying tips for functions with many long parameters... I think I can make the status bar tips to scroll, but I'm not sure for the popup window... Anyway, will do something about it. Thanks for reporting it.

@Boiled Sweets & QuickSilva:

I know I promised that the new version will be out by the end of this week, i.e. today, but I'll be late for 1-2 days, so the new version will be out tomorrow , or more probably Tuesday. Sorry for the delay, I lost the last several days in some "real life obligations", and I need a little more time to include a fix for 2 visual glitches that were reported.

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#110]
Thanks Trixx, I am using the 1024x768, and tailored the short example to fit that resolution.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#111]
Thats fine, there no rush. Just looking forward to it :) Don`t feel pressured.

Jason.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#112]
Yeah, no pressure at all. Time your time, we would all prefer a non buggy release...

Jolly(Posted 2007) [#113]
Hello Trixx, wow,wow,wow...
I have programmed with Visual Basic before and startet about 5 month ago with Blitz+ that i bought 1 year ago ;-)

Blitz+ IDE isn't that one. I was surfing through the community and found your IDEal and WOW that is a great IDE for Blitz+!!!!

I do have 2 suggestions or idea:

When I open a project with some included files IDEal opens them in the active Tab group. Then I do open the next project and IDEal opens this files also in the active tab group if I do not create manualy a new tab group with a empty file in it.

Is there a way, that every project creates it's own tab group when I open it?

And ...

a idea would be to be able to show and hide a opened project in a tab group without first closing the project and load it later to get better view in the editor part of your IDEal. Just show and hide the entire tab group.

And at last one question:
Will you add Blitz Max to this IDE too?
I'm thinking about to buy Blitz Max because the better GUI (as I found out by reading the postings in this community)

But I have to say WOW again... :-)))

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Swizerland)

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#114]
@Jolly: Thanks..

Is there a way, that every project creates it's own tab group when I open it?

No, but I'll think about this to see if it's possible to implement somehow.

a idea would be to be able to show and hide a opened project in a tab group without first closing the project and load it later to get better view in the editor part of your IDEal. Just show and hide the entire tab group

Ability to hide certain/all project files was requested before and I plan to add this soon. When I add this option, it'll be easy to add show/hide whole project :)

And at last one question:
Will you add Blitz Max to this IDE too?

I don't know... It's possible in the future, but don't expect it anytime soon. Anyway, you already have some other nice IDEs available for BMax.

@All: Finally, new release is ready, I'll post it in 20 minutes...

[EDIT] New thread is here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=67445 [/EDIT]