Old project: Is it worth resurrecting it yet again

Community Forums/Showcase/Old project: Is it worth resurrecting it yet again

Matty(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello all,

I started work on a game a couple of years ago - a kind of top down shooter with 3 soldiers running around shooting 'aliens' in dimly lit corridors while trying to complete various objectives. As with many projects this one was never completed and has remained on my old PC which has gathered dust...until tonight. With my main Pc being repaired I connected this one back together and came across it.

Here are some old screenshots (the files listed as 'screenshot#.jpg'):

http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/Stuff/

I managed to scrape together a downloadable demo, which involved losing all the sound (too big a download), converting all the bitmaps to jpgs (now the textures are all blurry) and only the first 2 missions on the menu at the start work.

Anyway the demo which is about a 2MB download is here:

"http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/Stuff/Game Like Space Hulk.zip"

(I'm not sure I can include spaces in a weblink in a forum post so it should not be too hard to find from the earlier link above)

To play:

Left mouse button issues an order to move
Right mouse button issues an order to fire.
All 3 soldiers are commanded simultaneously.

The game has lots of glitches (it was in a really early state and never completed).

What I am interested in is whether the gameplay has any merit, and if anyone would play something like this if it were redone/polished/finished.

From Matty

*(Posted 2007) [#2]
looks like a good game, with a bit of polish it looks like a hit. Would be nice with multiplayer too :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
Could be another Alien Shooter, go for it!

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#4]
It looks well worth finishing.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#5]
Looks not bad. Movement is pretty erratic but for an early effort it definately has potential. Implementing a Cannon Fodder control system could make this into a winner.

stevie

Matty(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll definitely redo it.

puki(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hand over the code and media.