Elite Multiplayer alpha demo( 07-01-07)

Community Forums/Showcase/Elite Multiplayer alpha demo( 07-01-07)

*(Posted 2007) [#1]
Finally I have managed to upload a demo of Elite Multiplayer get it at http://www.edzup.co.uk/downloads/elitemultiplayeralpha.zip (7.4Mb)

its still very much work in progress and there are bugs to be ironed out but its getting there :)

If you have any comments please post on the EdzUp forum (free registration required)

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#2]
Pics! :)

*(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hmm will have to host some, as soon as I taken some I will post em ;)

*(Posted 2007) [#4]
Here ya go:

puki(Posted 2007) [#5]
How much is the code and media?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
/slap!

*(Posted 2007) [#7]
puki: The Models are free just do a web search on Elite Ship Models, the images and source code are not for release.

puki(Posted 2007) [#8]
Oh yeh, in fact - I already have them. I found 2 or 3 sources previously.

That's a bonus for you as you just need to hand over the code.

*(Posted 2007) [#9]
No can do, the source is not for release with this version as the final release will have anti hacking systems in it. Would be a bit daft to release the source with it :)

puki(Posted 2007) [#10]
I don't mind getting source code.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#11]
hot sproinks! Is this the game you've been working on for years?

*(Posted 2007) [#12]
yep been working on it for almost five years now, its still very hard to capture that Elite feel

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#13]
So .. how do you start a game. I selected joypad and couldn't do anything but exit?

*(Posted 2007) [#14]
oops atm the keyboard is the only thing thats in there, my bad forgot to mention it. Will be adding Joypad and mouse control next.

I have uploaded a new version to the same address as the old file this one has a fixed starmap system and in the options file you can select the ogg file you want to play.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#15]
Since this is a Remake with the original 320 pixel feel, I'd say the short range chart screen doesn't fit in very well.

Other than that - great piece of work. Congratulations!

*(Posted 2007) [#16]
im trying to get everything as near ro the original Elite as possible as not to dilute the Elite experience but just to add multiplayer to it :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#17]
Yes of course, "remake" may not be the correct word. Noless you may revisit the short range chart screen for style consistence. I'd draw the (font)text elements to a virtual 320 pixies page, then use a fast scaling method based on copyrect that will scale it up to 640*480, or to the current screen res in a few millisecs. Or maybe you can use a font that is using a "blocky" style, eg "system" or so.

*(Posted 2007) [#18]
yeah I may try the font elements as the system font still dont look right at low 320x240 resolution nor does the font now.

Im currently working on adding in the other control systems, I will add a Analogue/digital switch for joysticks to make it accessable for all :)

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#19]
@ Edz,

I have to confess that I was a little dissapointed. I found it impossible to shoot anything due to the speed the other ships were moving at - I think they need to be slowed down a tad ;) Also, not sure if it's a camerarange or lod issue but stars and sun decals seemed to flicker alot - popping in and disappearing all the time.

It's only an alpha I guess so I'm sure you'll nail all these wee things. That said, it's been years since I played this last on an ST emulator so it may have always been like this.

Out of interest, what version are you using for comparison purposes?

Stevie

*(Posted 2007) [#20]
Im using Elite+ on the PC for comparisons, I may slow the ship down a little as they do seem a little fast. The speeds of the ships are from the original Elite data files I have, that have been extracted from the original Elite.

The Sun poping is a problem that I will be addressing soon hopefully as it doesnt look good, I also want to do the planet locator as well to get that correct. I havent experienced the space dust flickering even on me laptop so I dont know what you mean on that score, I can replace it with sprites if that would be easier?

*(Posted 2007) [#21]
I have uploaded another version this one has all the control systems in, you now can use joystick and mouse too. The keyboard definition is in as well the game doesnt atm save whether or not you have selected keys/joystick or mouse but does save your definitions.

My next tasks are the planet indicator and some server side stuff so I can start the major task of multiplayer.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#22]
Ok, tried it with the analogue control. A couple of things which I'd suggest implement here.

1. Different analogue joypads use different joypad commands for each axis in blitz. You'll need to build some sort of configuration utility to nail this. There is one by Pongo in the archives which you could look at.

2. Need to implement a deadspot for the analogues so that they don't continue to move when released. EVen though my PS2 joypad is centered I still have movement downwards.

3. Ability to invert the pitch as I find the current method unintuative.

I havent experienced the space dust flickering even on me laptop so I dont know what you mean on that score, I can replace it with sprites if that would be easier?

The white stars / dust appear and disappear very frequently so look like they're flickering. Maybe it's just my card ( no issues with anything else ) but as the sun does the same thing I figured you're doing something similar with them.

Stevie

*(Posted 2007) [#23]

The white stars / dust appear and disappear very frequently so look like they're flickering. Maybe it's just my card ( no issues with anything else ) but as the sun does the same thing I figured you're doing something similar with them.

Ah thats because they are quads that are rotated, I will change em to star sprited hopefully that will sort it. As for the sun I will look into it.

I will add a dead zone for the analogue pads

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#24]
Forgot to mention .. good luck with this!!

5 Years is a long time to keep yourself motivated on one project, especially when real life continually gets in the way. I'd have given up long ago ;)

*(Posted 2007) [#25]
the only thing keeping me motivated is that I wanted Elite to have multiplayer years ago but didnt have a good 3d engine to do it.

Wings(Posted 2007) [#26]
i tryed ti di a space game before. and i got problems.

after parrented player entity witch ship. all went wrong. player fell out of ship if one travels more than 100.000 units away. also all start to shake..

with speed at 100 units per frame it was big issue :)

so take care dont trust blitz3d cant handle this space travel adventure. you need good matematichs..

*(Posted 2007) [#27]
*** NEW DEMO UPLOADED ***

This one has a dead zone gauge in the redefine options. It also saves the key defines and your control selection now.

There are other adjustments that are in there too, space dust is now sprites so should be easier to see. Ships have been slowed down to the original Elite speeds (now I have the data on them, I still have to do the turn arcs but thats soon).

Im currently working on my own Networking library for Blitz3d and BlitzMax this way I can create a decent server program in Max.

_PJ_(Posted 2007) [#28]
Its ultra-ultra fast.... you need to get some timing code in there, otherwise, it looks fine, very reminiscent!

*(Posted 2007) [#29]
ATM the demo uses tweening, will have to have a look at that

*(Posted 2007) [#30]
I have uploaded another demo this one is a bit easier on the acceleration but is a little harder to control as I have implemented the original Elite turn arcs for ships. You can get it from the link at the top of the page.

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#31]
Well. First, I had trouble extracting (something got lost, bmp folder). Then I sorted that out, and ran it. sent half the programs/files on my desktop to the recycling bin, and shut off my internet connection.
Then I tried to delete it and it won't go away....
All I can say is, it's a good thing this is an alpha.

*(Posted 2007) [#32]
that is really strange as nobody else has had any problems with the demo. I have scanned it for viruses etc and have turned up nothing. I would scan your computer for malware or something like that.