Tommy Tronic Test Level

Community Forums/Showcase/Tommy Tronic Test Level

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've not long ago picked up the reigns of this project (Tommy Tronic platformer) again and redone lots of code and stuff.
I now have nearly completed all the media for the game and am working on maps - of which 7 are constructed but not populated. I want 16 so there is a fair bit of work to do yet.

Anyhow - I have here the first level of the game as a Bug reporting demo to download. It's simple and quick to complete. Simply seek the relevant keys to open either the wooden or steel doors...steel will lead to the end of level which will simply restart the program back in the menu.

Please download and test it for me.

You can zoom the camera in and out using right 'CNTRL' & 'SHIFT'

You can let the camera slide down by pressing the 'END' key (useful for when you're at a ledge and don't know whether to drop down or not)

Left ' CNTRL' to shoot and cursor keys to move around and jump.

You can jump on enemies heads to kill them also - in the finished game you'll receive extra points and bonuses for this method.

The game panel is not fully operational though it will show your health and lives.

Right now I'd like to hear any serious issues there might be on different setups.

Finally - here it is:

NO MORE FEEDBACK NECESSARY - THANKS TO THOSE FOR TRYING THE TEST FOR ME.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#2]
Wow - looks fab dude nice work,

Will try to download tomorrow as it is late now...

IPete2.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#3]
seems to work fine (as did the last one you posted), no serious issues (minor control choice issues, but that's not what you want to hear about)

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yes - Please tell me about the controls Perturbatio...I need to hear all opinions. Controls are by no means finalized yet. I Think I noticed the controls have a little lag in the exe compared to running from Blitz with no V-synch. I figured it would be best to set the V-synch in the demo to true so everybody is pretty much seeing the same thing.

Oh also - you can set your own controls from the menu..it was quick bodge I smashed but it should work fine.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#5]
Looks nice.

Played for a bit, the main problem I had was that I'm useless at platform games :)

Only bug I found was Tommy 'slides' when standing still. I'm assuming this is due to using sliding collisions on a sphere at the player's feet.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#6]
Really well done!

The problem I had was that the game was running a way to fast for my taste. Monsters popped up and for most cases I didn't have a chance shooting at them.

What I'm missing are some more (particle) effects and other things that would make the world look more "alive". So e.g.:
- the tomatoes could leave their juice on the ground when they have been shoot dead.
- When you collect stars, they should leave some sort of stardust trail.

Also a mini map of the level would be nice. It could be an item the player has to collect first.

degac(Posted 2007) [#7]
Downloading now...looks very nice!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
Still looking good, I love the 3D scenery, it's subtle but great. The bridge 3D is cool.

The world feels a little sterile at the moment. There needs to be more interaction. I assume that later on the tomatoes will make a noise when they pop? Also maybe the first ones you see should only take one shot to destory as they are too hard initially until you get used to them. I know it's a demo level but it needs to be easier.

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#9]
Yep - good observations. all of which are on my To-Do list. Particles will be used extensively but implemented near last..sounds are yet to be completed etc!

The world does need more props - also later there is much more to do in the game..like giant trees to climb, teleports, watery depths to explore, a huge list of pickups and secret rooms and parts of the map - plus a huge array of baddies with many different attacks.....I'm up in the air about allowing a map of the level though. I don't want to give the layout away unless it is actually explored.

I will make the tomatoes easier..I actually upped their agressiveness as they were too easy for me...goes to show why you need fresh feedback!

I'm pretty happy so far their are no major crashes or such - the code has been optimized and rewritten almost everywhere from my original code. I'm hoping to be getting 50-60 frames on all machines with a 32meg GF2 and 800MHZ CPU and above.

SonicFactory does Tommy slide everywhere when you're still?

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#10]
Could you make an option to slow down the game on fast computers too?

Btw: You could try UPX 2.91 with the "--brute" command.
It should reduce your exe size even more:
http://upx.sourceforge.net/download/unstable/upx291w.zip

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#11]
Ummm...I suppose I could slow it down Grisu...it just seems too slow to me if Tommy moves more slowly. I think you're having trouble with the speed of the enemies? I will make them less responsive as they will be the first enemies the player will encounter..so they will be slower.

The exe is much too big right now because it's not been optimized for just one level and one enemy...infact the full finished 16 level- 20 enemy game should only be about twice as big as this one...but I'll check out UPX right now and see what it can do - thanks.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#12]
Oh yeah, more visual feedback as it loads is required as I thought it hadn't worked at first. Poeple might start clicking again. Also the first level was a bit complex, it may be better to have a long horiztonal simple with a few up and down bits to get people into the swing of things...

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#13]
Grey - I'm not even sure how I can make a loading screen while Blitz is initializing...what do I have to do?

Thought that Level was pretty simple - maybe I'll do another and make this one number 2..it did cross my mind to do a long horizontal but I decided not to...I'll make one now anyhow.

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#14]
How about some wide screen resolutions? My monitor works optimally at 1440X900. If you don't want too much revealed width-wise, you can use CameraViewport to letterbox the screen and put some interesting graphics/animation on the borders.

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#15]
Tom I really had to decide on cutting corners when I started making this game and one of them was a quick and dirty menu...The graphics,animating and level building demands are huge so I just set to limiting the game to 4 resolutions purely so I didn't have to mess about with any more GFX than absolutely required. But if I'm nearing the end and feel like going over the game and adding more polish than is on my schedule I'll bare this suggestionin mind..it's now written on my list.

Thanks.

Leto(Posted 2007) [#16]
Looks gorgeous, Hujiklo. Ran smooth on my PC.

I found the controls fairly straight forward, which was good. One thing I noticed was if you jump into a wall and hold down the key to move against the wall you fall down a bit slower than normal falling speed. Don't know if that's intentional.

Obviously there will be more monsters in the levels. I found the tomatoes a bit tough as they were quite aggressive (leaping at me, requiring multiple bullets to kill) and that I had to crouch to hit them before I'd yet got used to the gun.

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#17]
yes Leto..the tomatoes by their stature need to be dispatched by crouching..not all enemies are like this - infact only two are. I think the slow falling may just be Blitz sliding collisions conflicting with the movement translations of Tommy which is normal. I'll have a play and see if it's worth eliminating - thanks for trying it for me.

Was your download size the 11 meg or 7 meg? The latest upload is 7 meg and has the code tweaked a little. Tomatoes are slower in the latest version.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#18]
Grey - I'm not even sure how I can make a loading screen while Blitz is initializing...what do I have to do?
Well I guess the problem is you have some kind of large packed exe. If you didn't do it like that you could have a small exe load, have a proper loading screen and then load in the media with a bar, like most portals games do these days...

b32(Posted 2007) [#19]
But do I understand correctly that this is a 3d game ? I wondered if it was 2d or 3d. So then, in theory, it might be possible to see it from a first-person perspective ?

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#20]
It is possible already B32 - but very ugly! Zooming the camera in and out (Right CNTRL and Right SHIFT) should have told you it was actually 3D due to the perspective. All props have no backs to them everything is optimized for speed on slower machines...It doesn't look pretty unless you view the game as intended. I do mean to expand the Tommy Tronic universe after this game and make a full 3d game however.

b32(Posted 2007) [#21]
Hujiklo, it is strange, but I downloaded it again to have a look at the zooming and now the enemies stay dorment again. :(

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#22]
Really?...I'll have to look into this further. I'll re-upload if I find something else. It's odd why your computer is the only one showing this problem. It's a real Bug-hunter!

b32(Posted 2007) [#23]
Yes :/ strange, 'cause I could swear it worked the previous time. Good luck.

mrtricks(Posted 2007) [#24]
Very nice, very smooth, nice animation and characters. I really like Tommy - very 50's! I also would like to see more particles and interaction and effects in general. Also I'd like to zoom out more, to see where I'm supposed to go - since there aren't really any clues. It would also be nice to see more parallax layers.

The problem I had though (and maybe this is just me, and maybe this is impossible to do anything about) was that the scrolling left to right made the background appear blurry, and after not long my eyes began to hurt. Not too much longer and I think I would have felt a bit sick. I couldn't say exactly why that could be happening... The BACK-background, which moves slower, did not suffer from this. I don't kow if it's simply how fast it's moving, or something to do with how it's rendered.

steve_ancell(Posted 2007) [#25]
Now, that's going to be a top notch game if I ma say so. Very well done, was it done in Blitz 3D, or Blitz Max ?. I like the way you've used the Erasure (Blue Savanah) track, it really does match with the gameplay and gets you into the game. Nice one ;)

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#26]
Mrtricks - I'm really not sure what I can do about the blurring issue. I think it really is just a problem with the fact every pixel in the foreground is generally going right or left in quite large steps...or perhaps it's more a monitor thing? My LCD monitor is quite old with a high redraw delay of something like 20mscs - this blurs everything, yet an even older CRT monitor shows the game very smoothly indeed :(

There will be a lot more stuff to go in to the game so stay tuned.

Steve - at last! I was wondering when somebody would identify that midi music. Explains why I can't use it in the finished game but will serve as a good example to whoever finally does do the music. It's Blitz3D.

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#27]
Plays smooth on my Flatscreen monitor, but then I made sure it had a very fast refresh rate when I bought it. Most games blur on my parent's monitor due to a very high refresh rate.

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#28]
Didn't get to play the game but I just want to say it's a great name. I actually still remember it from one of your earlier posts (a couple years ago, maybe?) In fact, a couple weeks ago I was thinking "What ever happened to that game?"

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#29]
Thanks agent4125...not much has changed visually. I rewrote all the important code. The first try was a bit amateur and took a chunk out of the framerate.