Please test

Community Forums/Showcase/Please test

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
EDIT
No test required anymore, thanks.
-------

Please help me to test this version of an installer and uninstaller for a screensaver.

I couldn't test it on winXP,so I'd like to know what's gonna happen when you install and uninstall it. I'd also like to know if it's installed in the all users startmenu or the current user startmenu folder.

It will install the screensaver in the system directory, plus add a link to the uninstaller in the start menu.

If the uninstaller doesn't work for some reason, then you may have to search and remove the following files manually:

SD Bildschirm-Schoner.SCR
sd_saver_pw_-_-_.dta
uninstall SD Bildschirm-Schoner.exe

as well as the entire folder "SD Bildschirm-Schoner" in the startmenu directory of all users or the current user.

Here's the file:
http://www.melog.ch/sd/Install_SD_Bildschirm-Schoner.exe

Thanks for your help!

Mikele(Posted 2007) [#2]
WinXP SP2 here.
All works fine (installer & uninstaller). But when I switch to another user i have MAV.
It is installed only in the current user startmenu folder.

Digital Anime(Posted 2007) [#3]
Tested this under Windows XP Professional SP2

When running the .exe a bar shows up filling up from left to right in a small window, after this the bar disappears and I can see the text "Bitte versuchen Sie es mit einem Admin Konto." I'm logged in as an Admin user with enough rights.
Cannot locate the files mentioned on my hard drive.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
Mikele: you have a MAV with an other user (non admin) when:
- you try to run the uninstaller? (EDIT uh wait, you said user startmenu, so this can't be)
- the screensaver becomes active?

Mark, that's strange. Did you start it right in the browsers download dialog or did you first save the file locally?

Thanks a lot for testing BTW.

Mikele(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yes. I have a MAV when screensaver becomes active.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#6]
Why not use InnoSetup? Thats what we use for all our Blitz screen savers with NO problems!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#7]
Mikele - oopsie! Got to fix this kind of. this may have something to do with the fact that it will try to write a default password file, if none is found. I only onder why the screensaver only has restricted rights when a restricted user is logged in.

Thanks for your help. It's unbearable now, after all I got to buy winXP.

You may laugh, my puter is running on Win98se and it works nicely. I installed about 100 important tools, it's truely multimedia, everything works fine. I have no plans to do a reinstall. So right now it seems I will not only have to buy winxp, but also a new machine, so I can savely emigrate over time.

Boiled sweets - could you pleeeeeease post the innosetup script you are using for screensavers? :)

b32(Posted 2007) [#8]
I get the 'Admin-message' as well :/ About innosetup script, have you used Istool ? I haven't tried it, but it looked okay. It is a wrapper for innosetup.
About winxp, just buy a new harddisk. I'm using a 'hd rack' that allows easily exchanging a harddisk. It works nicely.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#9]
b32 - thanks for testing. The Harddrive thing is a nice idea, but i see some troubles with it: Currently I got 2 IDE drives inside the case, so I'd have to open the case and unplug them. I'd have to unplug both since I don't trust windows for not messing up data etc. on drive D.

I once made a mistake: I used to hide the partition of one harddrive, then installed a second harddrive and started to install windows. It happily formated the hidden partition, the fat was lost before I used press the reset button in panic... So in future I'll be careful with multiple windows installations on one system.

But I agree, a system with mutliple drives that may be switched with a simple, external switch device that would be nice, esp. if every harddrive is big enough to act as a single drive system.

Yes I tried Istool, but I hate it. Such a big lot of parameters and after all the setup file didn't work noless, for some unknown reason. I would really prefer a simple script file and then edit the paths with notepad.

Andy_A(Posted 2007) [#10]
As parochial as it may seem, I haven't switched to XP either. Everything I use works fine on 98SE. I'll go the XP route with my next computer.

In the meantime I've seen 250GB external (USB2/Firewire 400) drives on sale for $129US. Should be large and fast enough to use with multiple Windows.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#11]
Yea but you still need to unplug the one that is inside the machine.

BTW it trashed Istool and simply opened a few example scripts that are in the Innosetup folder, as well as the HLP file and wow that's much easier.

BTW is rundll32.exe always in the (win) directory?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#12]
@jfk EO-11110

Download my InnoSetup scr script here:

http://www.boiledsweets.com/tmp/inno_scr.rar

You will need to change it to match your setup of course. I've used this very successfully for all my screensavers and not had a single complaint from my customers.

Andy_A(Posted 2007) [#13]
Yea but you still need to unplug the one that is inside the machine.

Maybe this is the way to go http://www.parallels.com/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#14]
Boiled Sweets thank you. I think I already nailed it. downloaded your script noneless, will study this later.

Andy_A thanks. yes probably. I think there's even a way to use the free VMWare player instead. Then agian, virtual machines don't use the full performence of the machine, nor are they easier to set up than a ide harddrive, or even than an entire new machine.