Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi all

Tank Universal dev continues.

Have been working on the second to last level. There might be something of a light at the end of the tunnel, but I know there's still a thousand issues to come after I've got all the levels in ;-(. Still, another step forward...

Have been sorting out a 'nuke' effect. Still tweaking it, but have a look and let me know if it's sufficiently 'nukie' enough for you. (19 meg mpg file with sound - RMB to download)

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pajones/nuke.mpg

After the blastwall has passed, the player's tank is disabled for a short time. The interface also 'reboots' shortly afterwards.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#2]
Perhaps not very 'mushroom' shaped, but it does look very nice with the oversaturated colors and electromagnetic interference.

Impressive!

DarkMere(Posted 2006) [#3]
Firstly I think the effect is really very good, (not that I have ever been that close to a nuclear explosion to be able to judge). I did expect a brighter flash for at least one second, but like I said I do think the effect is really good.

One thing that is wrong is the timings of the noise and the images. The explosion is clearly a good few miles or more away? Yet you see the explosion at the same time you hear the noise, the noise should be long after you see it. The same with the objects that the shock wave destroys as it comes closer to you, you hear the destruction at the same time you see it. However being a game I am not sure it really matters, but it does if you want it to be totally realistic.

I think that short section must have taken a lot of effort to produce and the result is REALLY good.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#4]
I'm shocked and awed. That's a superb effect.

ervin(Posted 2006) [#5]
That is absolutely excellent.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished version of this game!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#6]
wow, nice effect.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#7]
'Perhaps not very 'mushroom' shaped'
Yeah - but I'm not too concerned about that - reckon it's 'mushroomy' enough.

'I did expect a brighter flash for at least one second'
Agreed - need to put in a momentary white flash at the start.

'One thing that is wrong is the timings of the noise and the images. '
Heh - well I'd argue that in real life (if you've ever been to a military or fireworks display) it seems wrong to see the bang first, followed by the noise some seconds later. So in the gameworld I've not taken speed of sound into account and I don't think it'll be a problem. Easier to code for as well.

In terms of the fx's components (if you're interested);
The blast plume is a couple of particle emitters, one for the trunk, one a ring that moves upwards to provide a roiling cloud above the trunk. ParticleCandy's used here (a great library).

I did try using an animated mushroom shaped mesh with emitters attached to vertex positions - but it was too particle heavy and not really working.

There's a series of rings that move up and scale out from the blast and which have a masked texture mapped onto them. This gives the appearance of dynamic rings in the sky with streaks moving away from the blast as the rings have a scrolling texture applied.

The expanding blast wall is simply 6 circular walls (uncapped cylinders) that are scaled outwards. They have a couple of blended/scrolled textures applied to make them more dynamic. They also have sound emitters applied to give them a thunderous sound as they approach/recede.

When they reach the player, various camera shake and static effects are applied to give the impression of chaos - very important, along with suitable sound fx

Now, need to deform the blastwall to handle dips/rise in the terrain.

DarkMere(Posted 2006) [#8]
<<'One thing that is wrong is the timings of the noise and the images. '
Heh - well I'd argue that in real life (if you've ever been to a military or fireworks display) it seems wrong to see the bang first, followed by the noise some seconds later. So in the gameworld I've not taken speed of sound into account and I don't think it'll be a problem. Easier to code for as well.>>

I would agree that for the purpose of the game the image/sound timings are not important. In real life, when far away from the blast there is a big difference, you are too close at a fireworks display :)

I remember watching a very big power station tower being blown up, I was about 3 miles away on a hill side. I had stopped and got out of the car to watch it because everyone in the district knew the time of the 'big bang'. I remember seeing the smoke and the tower collapse, then a big cloud of dust. I waited till everything was level and I remember opening the car door thinking, 'I was so far away I could not even hear it' and then BOOM!!!!!! :)