Neon Swam - Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Neon Swam - Demo

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#1]
Go Here : http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=65169

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#2]
I've just finished the demo. It's impressive for three days work, and it would make a really charming retro freeware game, but I don't think that it is worth paying for without extra work.

The game becomes extremely frustrating, tedious and annoying when you've only got one enemy left onscreen because it sometimes takes an unreasonably long time for the final bullet to collide with it.

I'm also concerned about the lack of variety. How will you sustain the interest of the player for 200 levels?

The demo shows a lot of unrealised potential and it could become a really addictive game, but it needs a lot more work.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#3]
I've just finished the demo. It's impressive for three days work, and it would make a really charming retro freeware game, but I don't think that it is worth paying for without extra work.
You call $4 paying for?

The demo shows a lot of unrealised potential and it could become a really addictive game, but it needs a lot more work.
The game won't get anymore work - not from me anyway.

The game becomes extremely frustrating, tedious and annoying when you've only got one enemy left onscreen because it sometimes takes an unreasonably long time for the final bullet to collide with it.
Then change the way you play - don't fire everything in one go.

I'm also concerned about the lack of variety. How will you sustain the interest of the player for 200 levels?
Same way every other "simple" game does it - just make larger numbers of faster enemies.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#4]
Fair enough. Good luck with the game.

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#5]
Initially just let loose with all youve got to reduce numbers quickly.

Then when you have one (a few) enemies left just circle them as closely as you can to keep them nearly stationary and allow the shots to home in.

In fact if you can circle a large number before letting loose and herd them into a group its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Cant see any attraction in it for 100s of levels though, even though it looks pretty damn slick.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#6]
I did make a small change, the levels are now generated based on an algorithm rather than reading from 100's of XML files. This makes the game a lot more organic in the way it builds levels and increases upto a complexity that is near impossible to beat.

The commercial version will be a time limited demo - not level limited.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#7]
It's behaving oddly for me. The level starts, I get swarmed in about a 1/2 second and then it kicks back to desktop. Odd.

GeForce 4 7800 Go, Windows XP Professional...

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#8]
Not bad for 3 days work but unfortunately, I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to pay for more of the same. Still, always love the vector stuff and your sound effects / score are always very good/crisp.

I got some artifacts on the fonts at the top - seems like uv's are out a touch?

XP Pro, Gfx440mx

Stevie

p.s What ever happened to ' Space Junk' ? ( I think thast was yours )

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
Please remove this post I had a better idea.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#10]
Do tell?

nawi(Posted 2006) [#11]
I think there is a timing issue here, the game seems to run too fast in my desktop.. I die in like half a second :F

AMD Athlon XP 2000, NVIDIA Geforce FX5700LE,winxp

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#12]
bugs here:
- on my TFT I see the main menu items (in black) on the dark background while playing a level.
- missles don't always hit the enemy ships when they are at higher speed.
- if you move the mouse very fast, the enemy ships won't do damage to your ship. :P

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#13]
No Bugs:

1) it's called screen burn
2) you have to use your skill to bring the velocities down
3) Only on the early levels :P

Warren(Posted 2006) [#14]
I think there is a timing issue here, the game seems to run too fast in my desktop.. I die in like half a second :F

That's what I'm seeing as well. Can't play.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#15]
ahhhh lol I was going to make something exactly like this but mine probably wouldn't have looked as good. I like it good job man

Scott Shaver(Posted 2006) [#16]
Did you write your own flocking code?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#17]
Hi Scott, I took some code I wrote about 10 months ago (based on the Red3D stuff) and heaviliy modified it to run as fast as possible. Your own implementation was very useful for helping me work out better ways of doing things.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2006) [#18]
Just curious it seems to work well.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#19]
This is great work. Congratulations. Very nice and original game :)

andy_mc(Posted 2006) [#20]
this sin't that bad, had me hooked for about ten minutes. But it's pretty much just robotron with homing missiles.

I started a game like this myself recently but am trying to think of ways to add veriety to it. The thing that makes stuff like geometry wars so fun to play was that there'd be something new on the next level. Having wave after wave of identical baddies was more down to techinical reasons than anything else with the older games.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#21]
Aye but this was just a muck around game with little motivation on my part to make it into anything bigger.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#22]
Fairly fun.