Free & fast image viewer

Community Forums/Showcase/Free & fast image viewer

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here is a free and fast image viewer for quickly viewing image file formats, including *.bmp, *.jpg, *.tga, *.png, *.dds, *.vtf, and *.stf. You can view an image's alpha channel. Scroll the mouse wheel to flip through images in the same directory. Press the mouse wheel to toggle full-screen mode. You can associate your image files with this program, and open them instantly in the viewer.

http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=35

caff_(Posted 2006) [#2]
Well, this would be quite handy - but it's quite slow to launch - takes about 6 seconds to on this fairly fast PC. Once running, it loads images very quickly.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that an application like this should start very quickly.

I think it is slow because it does a check to see if their is a new version available on my server. On my machine, the check is so fast I can't tell a difference when it is and isn't there, and it starts up almost instantly.

I'll change it so it only checks for a new version every 24 hours.

caff_(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ah that would explain it... I'm using an overloaded broadband connection at work hence it had a slow but variable start up time.

Would be nice if you could disable the version check completely? I'm sure people would rather not use a program that does this anyway.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#5]
From a user point of view I prefer to have the option to either specify how often to check for updates, as well as disabling the check altogether.

One particularly annoying example of a program that didn't let you do that: Skype 2.0 kept bugging me each time I started it that there was a version 2.5 available, and tried to get me to download it.

Very convenient, except 2.5 didn't work with my webcam so upgrading to that version essentially made the entire program worthless to me.

(the newer 2.6 Beta does work again, and now it finally has an option to not automatically check for updates as well)

Since not every upgrade is necessarily 'better', it's nice to have the option of just sticking with what you currently have.

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#6]
Great tool! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see that you included DDS support.

Any chance of showing thumbnails of all the images at once in the directory and then selecting one for viewing (ACDSee style). Also, it would be nice to be able to toggle the alpha on/off.