Jardinains 2! Released!

Community Forums/Showcase/Jardinains 2! Released!

Tom Darby(Posted 2006) [#1]
So the house is a mess, I'm in desperate need of a haircut, and I can barely keep my eyes open at this point, but I'm done.

Jardinains 2! has just been released.

Download it at: http://jardinains2.com/

Thanks to everyone who helped test! I go sleep now!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
Heyyy.... who said you could steal away an hour of my development time to play your game? ;-)

It's actually pretty good. The little characters are cute and it's fun to bounce them around, plus very well animated. I got through about 10 levels of the free demo, after dying a few times ;-) ... occasionally it gets slightly boring when all you really have is a basic paddle bouncing a slow ball around knocking off one brick at a time - then it reverts to plain old breakout, but once things start to get interesting it is a lot more fun. The music and sound effects are good and the slowing down/speeding up is cool. ... so long as you don't slow down in the classic breakout simple situation .slllllllllooooooooww. lol. .. good game overall though!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
Ok so I'm sitting there wondering, when will I get to my own project?. .. couple hours later, still clicking and slidin' to further my climb through the levels. lol

I think it can be improved but it is pretty good as it stands.

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#4]
Shame you couldn't sort the double ball image problem I was experiencing that seemed to get introduced in your release candidate :-(

Another simple game that won't run nicely on a simple PC.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#5]
This game made me smile (tough feat!).

You seem to have some timing issues though - the ball does not move smoothly on any of my systems in any graphic mode :( It's like every 500ms it slows down and jumps forward - not very pleasing to the eye :(

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#6]
Nothing wrong with timing here. Not a bad game ... too slow paced for me though.

The gnome think works well but could do with being even more integral to the gameplay. This is really the only thing which makes it stand out amongst the hundreds of arkanoid / breakout clones imo.

Stevie

Tom Darby(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks, all!

Guys, given the choice between getting this thing out in time for the holidays or spending another few weeks trying to hammer out problems which, in all honesty, seem to have been introduced by things other than my code (I'm lookin' at you, Syncmods), I opted for the not-quite-perfect-but-still-pretty-darn-good route. I'm still going to try to track down the source of these problems and get a point release out before too long. Indiepath, I cannot help but suspect that you might have a shared 3rd party app on your systems that likes to eat a chunk of processor every 500ms...I haven't seen that behavior on any of the test machines I've used, Win, OSX, or Linux.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#8]
I wanted to say that I actually found myself smiling as I played the game as well. I thought that was a definite good sign. I agree it is a little slow paced at times and sometimes it seems likes the gnomes take just a bit too long to start showing up to spice things up, and i agree they could be played upon much more and brought into the gameplay even more. Maybe something for v3. I too noticed speed issues on my system. The paddle seemed to be updating at what looked like 8 fps or so and the ball wasn't moving smooth either, which I'm not sure why because most of the rest of it is quite smooth most of the time. I also wondered why the graphics were generally `sluggish` or low framerate considering the amount that is onscreen, I thought it would've been at least a steady 30fps on my system. Did you use Max2D for the gfx?

Tom Darby(Posted 2006) [#9]
Yeah, using Max2D. Ball trails push a lot of particles; by going into the Options - Effects menu and setting it to "No Ball Trails", you can get a substantial performance boost.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#10]
You should really tweak the effects for a low spec machine otherwise you might lose quite a few potential customers.

puki(Posted 2006) [#11]
Oooh.

What is a 'Jardinain'? Is it one of those little blokies that looks like a gnome?

Tom Darby(Posted 2006) [#12]
Indiepath:

I may just do that on the first point release.

Puki:

Jardinain: The French words "jardin" (garden) and "nain" (gnome) mashed together into one delicious morsel.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#13]
Will try it with the less effects. Cool about the name.