Chromadoku

Community Forums/Showcase/Chromadoku

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#1]
In the last three days I was working on this color-based Sudoku variant with BMax. It has the option to switch to numbers, for the traditional players. I'm currently trying to get it published, so wish me luck.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Colourblind people such as myself are never going to be able to play this. I can't distinguish between some of the colours.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well, that's why you'd change to the optional "Numbers" set of graphics ;)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well, that's why you'd change to the optional "Numbers" set of graphics ;)
But then what makes yours different from any other Sudoku game?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#5]
I prefer colours, seems easier than numbers.. good job =D

Yeshu777(Posted 2006) [#6]
Same as coffeebean said.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#7]
ie add a color-blindness option to use a different set of distinguishable colors

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#8]
I'm not sure what the colorblind-safe version would be ... but maybe I think I can add an arcane symbols version that would work? What do you think Gfk?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
I've some very good contacts especially in BFG. Please contact me if you would like some help. You can find me a pjio.com or indiepath.com - I'd also like to have you game on pjio - if you are up for that?

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks indiepath, I'm signing up for your site now!

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#11]
K, updated it to include a nice ruinic theme for people who are color blind, but still want a variety ... or people who want to step farther out of the box once they get familiar with colors ;) I'm also going to have to change that Tips panel to read "each respective tile" instead of just colors.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#12]
I think the Runes ( if they weren't green ) look much better than the colors anyway. Runedoku?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#13]
runes are good but maybe chnage the colour of each rune type so your have red,green,yes,blue etc.

Will ppl be-able ot make their own themes? bring on the obsene body parts theme :p

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#14]
Heh, you could easily change the tiles to suit your needs. The modularity of adding your own themes could be fairly easy with an editable ini file, but it certainly wasn't a planned feature :)

I'll change them to each have a corresponding color, and that'll kind of keep the Chromadoku spirit alive in it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Updated the picture above.

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#15]
I mock the afflicted.

>points at gfk and laughs mockingly.

Torrente(Posted 2006) [#16]
Looks very nice. I must admit I like the hexagons better than the runes, although the runes are nice also.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#17]
Thanks Torrente! I thought the hex design was nice and clean, simple and easy to "read". The symbols provide more of a themed play, having the extra background and all. I'm thinking of adding some simple animations for when players drop the tiles down and remove them. Just icing on the cake stuff :) Thanks again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#18]
Looks good, both the colours and the runes.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#19]
I really like the name Chromadoku! Especially the first 6 letters. :)

Looks good Tyler!

EDIT:
In the last three days I was working on this color-based Sudoku variant with BMax.

You made this in 3 days?

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#20]
Thanks Grey and Chroma! Yeah, it's always easiest for me to make games that don't rely too heavily on graphics. Although I'm mostly a graphics person, content is always the most time consuming process (especially for one man) ... with this, I was able to make one base tile, alter it quickly to be 9 variations, and reuse the same graphic loading code to achieve mutiple sets. I could add many many more tile sets quickly this way, since the code for the game is already done. The only part of coding that was a beast was the solver, but when I got that knocked out, everything was gold :)

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#21]
Hmm, never heard anything back from Big Fish Games (over two weeks), so I guess I'm selling this on my own :/

http://www.togamario.com/chromadoku.html

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#22]
They get pretty busy this time of year and also only sell stuff for $19.95.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#23]
:o Wow, Chromadoku isn't worth $19.95 :) It might not be worth $5, but I would owe Paypal if it got any cheaper, lol. Thanks for the heads up Grey.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#24]
I'm selling my latest game for $1 - paypal wanted about 55% of that. I've moved to BMTMicro and pay a flat 20%.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#25]
Sounds like Indiepath is on the "comprehensive plan" because nomally they take $1.25 minimum then 9.5%. I surprised they do it for such small amounts as transfer cards often have a minimum fee e.g. 60p for Switch.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#26]
Heh, BFG got back to me recently, and indeed it is as I feared. My game isn't pretty enough for them. Oh well, lol, I'm trying to learn a real programming language to do some of the stuff I want to do for an upcoming game and application (level editor). Maybe next time! Oh, and Grey, lovely game (Oz) you guys made! An inspiration :D