Astranax Open Beta

Community Forums/Showcase/Astranax Open Beta

Dark-Design(Posted 2006) [#1]
We are looking for some Beta Testers for Astranax: The Jewel Mine.

Astranax is an item matching puzzle game.

Screenshot:

Download:
http://www.dark-design.de/downloads/astranax_beta2.zip

Please test it and give us some feedback.

And sorry for the bad english.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
6 MB for a puzzle game isn't very small. You may use better compression for the images. Looking good. Maybe too much background graphics styles. EG the wall is a bit of an overkill.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#3]
nice. Very good symbols. This is Bmax is presume?

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#4]
Is the options menu supposed to be working, yet? I could open the options menu but I couldn't change the options.

Also, when I used the "X" on the window frame to close the game, the music kept playing for like fifteen seconds after the window closed.

SpaceAce

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#5]
Downloading now.

Dark-Design(Posted 2006) [#6]
@Fuller
No, it is Blitz3D but runs only in 2D Mode

@SpaceAce
The Options work here. Just click on the text.
It's strange that the music plays after you exit the game, it add a StopChannel, but normaly Blitz should do this.

@jfk EO-11110
i speak with my artist

@all
thanks for testing, more feedback is welcome :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
Had a quick play.

Nice backgrounds, music simple but effective, different modes is good, tile graphics are nice.

Here are some points I noticed:

1) No icon on title bar + none on the exe or the task bar. Also no app title.
2) music doesn't pause when minimised (no good for playing at work!)
3) I can type a huge name in the "please Enter you name" dialog which goes out of the edges. Also there is no OK button, you have to press enter. Then the big name doesn't fit into the Welcome Back graphic on the title page.
4) don't like the font all wonky. Are you trying to disguise the fact that it's Comic Sans (I used this for my first game too haha)
5) The green mouse over highlight on the buttons is a bit horrid.
6) The buttons need anti-aliasing onto the background so they don't have jagged black edges.
7) On the options, you really need to be able to click the check box as well as I thought it didn't work. Plus you need some mouse over effect on the clickable stuff there.
8) Courier font on the highscore page makes it look unfinished (I know it's fixed-width but you can find/make a better one).
9) when other dialogs are visible I can still click the buttons on the title page but they do nothing (which is correct I guess), but really the buttons shouldn't show the "clicked" graphic.
10) You need to get an English person to write your instructions and stop using that Courier font!
11) When clicking "click to change user" I don't get a choice of previous users and the ability to delete old ones or create new ones, all I do is enter a name. This is limited and unusual for a casual game.
12) "The Jewel Mine" font seems inappropriate.
13) Clicked Menu in-game. The buttons should be nice not Courier.
14) Why does it show the score then say "Points" and then the level and then say "Level"? It would make more sense to have the label before the number. "1 Level" doesn't make sense.
15) The fonts need to be anti-aliased on the level complete stats screen. Also the Bonus could do with being centred or something - there was a lot of unused space. Plus the fonts looked like "programmer" art, they didn't really fit in with the other fonts.
16) Fireworks look a little basic, why don't they fade? Plus the dots jerk a bit as they move.
17) OK finally, I don't really get the game. I read the help, I see I need to blow up stuff and blow up as much as possible in one hit. But after 2 levels of classic mode it goes to the high score table. Was this game over or the end of the game? I'm confused. Also I can play it just by clicking the bomb over and over seeing what score I can get randomly.

I hope you don't mind all this feedback, I thought you might find it useful. Anyway good luck with this.

Please test my new game when the beta is out next week, thanks! :-)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#8]
Dark,

Looking good dude - great work.

IPete2.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2006) [#9]
Hi @ all !

I`m the graphics and music artist. I say thank you for all coments in this thread. We work togehter since many years and we will talk together, about all comments.

Best regards
Blitzblaster

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#10]
Looks pretty cool guys! Keep up the good work.

Blitzblaster...your composing is very nice. It's very close to what I'm looking for for my title screen music.