Apes (Gorilla Remake)

Community Forums/Showcase/Apes (Gorilla Remake)

po(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hazzah! It's finished! I've only tested it on my PC and my sisters laptop, but the results were good :)

A 2 player game where you try to hit the other ape by typing in the angle and velocity. Click Help>Instructions for a way more in depth explanation.

Latest Download (Windows): http://www.paulleduc.com/files/Apes1-2.zip
Latest Download (OS X): http://www.paulleduc.com/files/Apes1-2OSX.zip

I first decided to make a Gorilla remake because I couldn't find a stand-alone version of one on the internet and I thought it would be easy. It wasn't easy though, it required a lot more math than I thought, but I managed to work it out.

The sound was made in Fruityloops. (not exactly pushing its limits :)

This is the first game I've made where fixing bugs is actually possible :) I'd like to know of any bugs. I might make a mac version if I can figure out what is causing the massive amount of problems with MaxGUI (or my code) on my mom's iMac.

EDIT: There is only one little niggle I have with my game, it's the collision between the banana and the city. I couldn't figure out a way to accurately collide the banana inside of a crater, so as you can probably tell, the banana has to be completely outsitde of a crater to explode.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#2]
This brings back memories of fiddling in QBasic :)

You did a really nice job on it. I like how the black circle comes up showing the banana even when it's offscreen. That was a nice touch.

I think I found a bug, though. I threw a banana at 50 degrees and 500 velocity and it never switched to the other player, like it didn't delete the banana.

For the collision code, you should render the city to an image at the beginning of the game, then update it when the explosions happen. That way you can use a single ImageRectCollide call for the banana collision.

semar(Posted 2006) [#3]
Nice done; a couple of suggestions though:
- angle and speed input: put sliders instead of input boxes, expecially when the values should be limited (ex. speed <= 999)
Remember: quite nobody reads the help file, expecially a long text box filled with plain text, so if you want that the user input the right values to the game, you should limit the user freedom about his actions, for example, with sliders. To summarize, try to avoid input boxes.
Also for the angles, a graphic representation would be better than giving a value, even with a slider. I know that the original version was similar, but who says you would stick 100% to it ?

- ESC key should quit the game.

- bugs:
--- when entering a wrong speed (ex. 1000) the input boxes are disabled.
--- when the banana goes over screen (too much speed for example) the input boxes are also disabled, until the shooted banana comes down. You should get rid of this extra time, and speed up the projectile until it re-enter in the screen. You can calculate the point where it will fall down, and if it's outside the map, you should delete it and change turn.

Overall good; the building are also nice generated, but sometime a gorilla stays very low, and has to deal with very high skyscrapers, which are hard to avoid.
The projectiles seems also not affected by wind, and sometime - expecially when they go up off screen - they come back in the descending phase.

One more thing, I guess the gorilla should not be damaged when his banana hits an adiacent building. Right now it's very easy to be killed by wrong shoots.

Keep on,
Sergio.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#4]
Instead of an input box or a slider for angle perhaps make a circle and the user can move a dot around the out-side of the circle and that would give the angle (if ya see what I mean)? But purhaps thats moving too far away from the original?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#5]
Nice game!

For the controls I'm with coffeedotbean.

po(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks all.
I thought of doing a graphical angle thing, but I think that would make it less of a mathematical game and more of a 'worms' type game, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the bug reports, didn't notice them. I'll fix them when I get home. I don't know about the sliders instead of text boxes though, not much room left. I could afford more room on the sides of the canvas though. Thing is I want to keep the window size under 800,600.

For the collision code, you should render the city to an image at the beginning of the game, then update it when the explosions happen. That way you can use a single ImageRectCollide call for the banana collision.

Good idea, I'll toy with that when I get a chance.

po(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think I found a bug, though. I threw a banana at 50 degrees and 500 velocity and it never switched to the other player, like it didn't delete the banana.

This technically isn't a bug. What happend was that the banana was going so fast it went of the screen to the top right(or top left) and the banana tracker went off the screen. Your banana was still going, you just couldn't see it. What I need is a banana tracker for the corners of the canvas.
- ESC key should quit the game.

In a GUI app?
The projectiles seems also not affected by wind, and sometime - expecially when they go up off screen - they come back in the descending phase.

I don't quite understand what you mean. The banana is very much effected by the wind. Try making a flat cityscape (max 200 & min 200) and testing out different wind speeds. The wind speed is a random number between 0 and what's in the options.

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#8]
sliders would be nice, and maybe make the banana move faster so you don't sit there waiting for it to hit.

I like the game though, tried to do something like it earlier and failed :)

Panno(Posted 2006) [#9]
cool

po(Posted 2006) [#10]
maybe make the banana move faster so you don't sit there waiting for it to hit.

Yeah, good idea. It does go rather slow.
I like the game though, tried to do something like it earlier and failed :)

I know what you mean, I also tried a different Gorilla remake a couple of years ago and failed horribly. :)

DarkMere(Posted 2006) [#11]
I love this kind of game, simple yet fun. My children really like it. A bit like the way children play with the boxes their Christmas toys come in, they have been playing this game and not bothering with Lara Croft!

Just a few ideas. A way to set up a number of games would be nice, then people could play the best of a 10 game match and such like without having to keep score themselves, and to alternate the starting player each time.

po(Posted 2006) [#12]
Nice suggestions, DarkMere. I'll add them in the 1.1.

po(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ok, version 1.1 is here now: http://www.paulleduc.com/files/Apes1-1.zip

From VersionHistory.txt:

- Added 'Banana Speed' slider in options.
- Added 'Alternate Starting Ape' checkbox in options.
- Added a 'match' menu and window.
- Added corner banana trackers.
- The 'Esc' key exits the game.
- Fixed bug: When wrong numbers are inputted, input boxes would disable.
- Minor changes to instructions.

I didn't change the input boxes to sliders as I realized it would take at least 999 pixels for an accurate velocity slider.

Also I don't think that making the cityscape an image would work considering I draw blue circles for the craters, not delete pixels.

I just reached 1111 lines of code, a record for me :)

po(Posted 2006) [#14]
Version 1.2 is out: www.paulleduc.com/files/Apes1-2.zip
Just 2 minor changes:
- Fixed a small bug involving explosions
- Put the canvas inside a panel for a nice looking border.

This should be my last update for a long while unless someone finds a bug.

po(Posted 2006) [#15]
Mac version of 1.2 out now: www.paulleduc.com/files/Apes1-2OSX.zip

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#16]
Gorilla on the Mac, oh my! lol

Good job.

po(Posted 2006) [#17]
Thanks.

Kalisme(Posted 2006) [#18]
OMG! I used to love that game when I was like 7!
Nastolgia n_n
Great stuff!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#19]
Great little game, I to like how the moon dark circle appears signifying just how much you've 'over thrown' the bannana.

po(Posted 2006) [#20]