Granada Racer 1.20 Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Granada Racer 1.20 Released

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi again friends. My game Granada Racer has got a big update, including:

- New Price: 14,95€ using Paypal
- DDS textures support
- Visual Damage (using bones)
- Change Car Colors (thanks to the forums!)
- New cars
- Chase Mode
- Lot More!

The demo has been updated too!
Thanks again to Blitz and their community!

Web: www.granadaracer.com

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#2]
I'd like to see some level design with gentle curves and a more linear layout.

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'd be interested in obtaining the source code and the full media.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#4]
Puki- ask for a proper ammount next time then ;)

Kurix, nice one. :)

stayne(Posted 2006) [#5]
Looks great! You should blur the car shadows though. They seem to be a bit too square. There's a blur texture function in the archives from sswift did that allows you to adjust the blur amount. Also, does "Granada" refer to the Ford Granada? If I remember correctly that car was, well, very slow and ugly lol.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#6]
Demo Updated, so you can see the latest changes ;)

Size reduced thanks to new dds support!

http://www.granadaracer.com/index.php?main=download.php

I had to upload to a megaupload account, due to bandwith usage problems :(

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#7]
Two things I noticed about your website:
1) The paypal button at the top right is very hard to read (red on green - shimmer).
2) The text for the demo link link says "...We hope you enjot it!"

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#8]
Very much appreciated, i will change it asap !

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#9]
Nice one! Downloading...

For the texts on your website. I'm also no native speaker, but I think the following terms would be better.

"Demo Features"
- Languages English and Spanish
=> Supported Languages: English & Spanish

-3 Cars to Buy
=> Multiple Cars to choose from

-On-line Garage Demo
=> Online Garage

-4 Modes of Game
=> 4 different Game Modes

-Hi Res Textures
=> High-Resolution Textures

-Visual Damages
=> Visual Car Damage

In-game:

- winned money
=> Money won

- winned px
=> Experience earned

- Abandon actual race (S/N)
=> Abandon current race (Y/N)

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks again! Changing the web texts now... the in game texts are updated in the full version, a little :)

I am not bad at english... but it is just too much work for only one person ^^

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#11]
KuRiX, I know this is hell of work.

That is why many people try to give a helping hand.
It's not meant to be impolite.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#12]
I cant download megaupload never works with my ISP. =/

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#13]
Perhaps KuRiX can e-mail you the 90 MB file... ;)))

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#14]
kurix, this is great. but i have some doubts about the bmw model you are using (just tried the new demo). do you have a licence from bmw?

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#15]
There is a Direct Link Download from the web, but it is hidden due to bandwith usage problem. But, here, in Blitz, is where all started... so here it is:

www.granadaracer.com/demo/setupgrdemo.exe

About BMW licensing... we have it someway. We have talked with local BMW partner, and we have some way of permission. Anyway we have bought the model from a licensed shop. In the full version, the car is not named "bmw" :D

Thanks!

Knotz(Posted 2006) [#16]
Good work.

I'm not a race-game type though. But congrats. It's very hard work to get a game finished.

Driving the opponents in the walls or against an obstacle is great fun.

A couple of remarks:

- Somehow the speed at full throttle feels a bit slow. It's probably realistic, but I didn't get the feeling that i was driving like a maniac.

- Your website needs a good designer. Really. It's a waste of all the hard work in the game if you leave your site in the state it's now. If you can't find a designer or it's too expensive, copycat another famous and goodlooking site which also sells games online.

- Offer more payment methods than just PayPal. Let companies like Share-It or BMT-Micro handle the fulfillment of your game.

- Another great way to make money with the game is to sell it as an advertisement gimmick to local companies in Granada. Probably the best and easiest way to get some fast pocket money from it.

Anyway, kudos for the hard work.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#17]
ok kurix, just wanted to make sure you stay on the bright side of life ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#18]

Anyway we have bought the model from a licensed shop

Remember that that fact doesn't mean anything to BMW. :)

nice work as always :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#19]
So you say it's illegal to use common car names without a bulletproof permission by the manufactor?

If so, what about weapons? I can't use their names in a game? This is new to me. It is of course illegal to use their Logos to create the impression they have made the product you are selling.

It shouldn't be illegal to mirror/illustrate the reality. What if you make a photo of a BMW and sell the picture? Can't be illegal since the picture was taken in the public, isn't it?

BTW it has nothing to do with the Ford Granada, but with the Town Granada.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#20]
Well, we have talked to local partners, and they all say the same.

Normally, if you use a brand in your game, it will be called publicity, and they will pay you for it, but in the car industry, is just the opposite.

They don't want to see their cars crash if you don't have the permission to do it. So you need a real license from the manufacturer.

Anyway, most of the games use a very similar model but without the brand on it :) and they have no problem most of the times...

I suppose it depends on the number of copies you sell too :)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#21]
you just can't use real car names in games without permission. with names of soccer clubs its the same. you have to pay for it. i'll contact heckler&koch, cause i am going to use several of their weapons in my upcoming shooter. just to make sure.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#22]
Exactly, they suppose you are going to sell more copies because you have their fantastic cars!

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#23]
KuRiX:

Thanks for this:

"They don't want to see their cars crash if you don't have the permission to do it."

I got this mental image of drivers of BMW vehicles writing in to the maker, asking if they can be permitted to have the accident that is 3 seconds away from happening to them! ;O)

I know it's not what you meant there, but it struck me as an amusing scenario!

Actually, there's an interesting angle to gameplay in that silly little thought I just had. Not for this sort of game but perhaps a premise for something very different.

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#24]
I made a crappy hotwheels game several years ago that sold over 1/2 million copies in 2 years :).

We had to have all the real toy cars in the game approved by the actual car manufacturers first, and then hotwheels after.

This proved really tricky and expensive but was kind of cool as Hotwheels actualy made a couple of our car designs into limited edition cars that were only sold with the game box.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#25]
1/2 million copies!!!

Please tell me how... Electronic only? In shops?

Thanks.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#26]
Awesome, ive been waiting for this to be released to finally check it out :)

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#27]
Finally installed and played this (yes it does run nice and smooth on my lowly system) last night.

Wow! Okay its not Need for speed, but its very impressive never the less.

Things I would like to see which would IMO improve it a little.

Shortcuts in the circuit races rather than having every side turning blocked off.
A bit more tyre screeching smoking sound effects.
Less immovable objects to run into. More destructible objects.

It also seemed to me on a number of occaisons I saw my opponents driving along in a train like fashion nose to tail with no attempt by any of them to overtake or deviate from the straight line.

All that said its still great, and even better that it runs on low spec systems.

Well done!

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#28]
Wow, i am happy you like this. Thanks for the suggestions... I have been working very hard, and i will consider all of them for future updates...

Running great on your Amd 700 Mhz?, wow, this is all thanks to the new DDS support :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#29]

Running great on your Amd 700 Mhz?, wow, this is all thanks to the new DDS support :)

if DDS is improving low end performance (i'd think it was more you managed to fit it into his GFX card ;) ) then I'm going to go recompile the racer...! O.o

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#30]
Yes, go do it !

The game is very optimized, but with DDS, everyone can see hi-res textures with low-end cards.

I made a run-time algorithm to create a new .b3d with .dds textures using the original .b3d so only a little change in the source was needed :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#31]

I made a run-time algorithm to create a new .b3d with .dds textures using the original .b3d so only a little change in the source was needed :)

Saving the BMP/JPGS out as DDS and then renaming them might have shaved the loading time, no? :D

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#32]
Mmm, some one told me that that doesn't work with .dds ... and i think i tried it, and it didn't work :)

puki(Posted 2006) [#33]
Mmm, send me the code and all media and I shall take a look.

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#34]
Kurix, the hotwheels game was really crappy commercial game for kids of 5 and up, but very popular.

Basicly FMV video of some crazy tracks with a Realtime car in the middle of the screen that you can rotate on its pivot whilst jumping to get extra points.

One of those embarassing games you would rather not have on your CV, but it sold a ton of copies. So did stunt track driver 2: Gettin dirty lol.