FeedBack - Stones of Egypt

Community Forums/Showcase/FeedBack - Stones of Egypt

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is a little project Ive been working on for 2 or 3 months, not much time for blitz'in nowadays. Its sokoban nothing more, just its sokoban taken out of the usual Desktop windows game enviroment and into a more casual game setting, with half-decent gfx etc.

There is no music yet and sfx are very few, I'd just like ppl opinions on its thus far before I shell out $$$ for Music and extra gfx. (note the character is temp and will be replaced soon)

I'd very much like your thoughts on the way the character moves.
Also the difficulty of the puzzles, all puzzles made with ( http://codecola.net/sps/index.php ).

Download (Rapidshare, click on the FREE button at the bottom to download - 1.2mb)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#2]
after putting in name, pressing enter, it doesn't run on my win98se/ati radeon ve/dx 8.0 machine. it just goes black then exits back to windows.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hum odd.. works fine on XP. heres a newer version I handle the player creation a bit different in this version might fix the ptoblem with 98.

Download
(Ive updated the main link too)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#4]
yes, works fine now.

> I'd very much like your thoughts on the way the character moves.

do you mean animates? it looks ok, maybe if you want to be fussy he looks like he is loosing his balance when facing forward.

i did one puzzle, it was good fun! off to play some more.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#5]
Looks like a cool game, and reminds me of parts of Chips Challenge (old Win 3.11 game). I'll try it out.

markcw(Posted 2006) [#6]
hi, i worked my way through the beginner levels and found them a bit too hard for me. i had to keep cheating after about the 3rd or 4th one.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#7]
hi, i worked my way through the beginner levels and found them a bit too hard for me. i had to keep cheating after about the 3rd or 4th one.

Would you say the "Cheat" button is a little too tempting/easy? Should I remove it or restrict its use (can only use it every 5 minuets) in some way so players try a little harder?

markcw(Posted 2006) [#8]
no! i like the cheat button! it kept me playing probably twice as long. it's fine as it is.

The only thing is the puzzles were too hard for a beginner like me. i would prefer an easier beginners series that is even easier than the "unas" series.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#9]
Hum ok so maybe for "Unas" have 1-2 stones (ultra easy), "Nebka have 2-3 stones (about the level of Unas right now), "Sahur" have 3-4 stones etc

And your sure i should not add a time limit to the Cheat button, say can only be used every 60 seconds?

Thanks for playing, I've just sourced the music for the game and currently looking for a pixel guy to redo the character sprite, then ill just need a few afternoons to make all the puzzles and hey-presto.. game finished =D

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#10]
it's looking good, I haven't noticed any bugs so far :)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#11]
hi, yes, that sounds perfect, 1-2 stones in unas, etc. some people will want an easy learning curve, like me.

i think for the cheat button, it would be better without a time limit. It is hard enough to try and remember what to do next without having an irritating/distracting time limit. That would just spoil the fun.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#12]
it's looking good, I haven't noticed any bugs so far :)

Oh no the bug man is back =D, ive been away from blitz for a bit.. damn World of warcraft!

hi, yes, that sounds perfect, 1-2 stones in unas, etc. some people will want an easy learning curve, like me.

i think for the cheat button, it would be better without a time limit. It is hard enough to try and remember what to do next without having an irritating/distracting time limit. That would just spoil the fun.

Ok ill leave the cheat button alone =D

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#13]
Navigated to your website... love your 'cute' style of graphics - so much so I'm trying one of your break-out games. Magic Ball 2 is something else !!

C;->

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#14]
Navigated to your website... love your 'cute' style of graphics - so much so I'm trying one of your break-out games. Magic Ball 2 is something else !!

stay off the drugs kids :p

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
Thought I'd better get round to playing this. It's neat and good fun. The character looks like it's from Rick Dangerous or something.

Yeah anyway, with some music, sfx (like for when you are moving the character around), more graphical polish (e.g. menus/dialogs) this could be cool. On your profile manager, I'd make a delete button instead of having f8 do it as that's a bit "techie" for casual gamers. Also windowed mode really ought to have a minimise button and a proper icon; mind you tons of games don't do this, but I like it ;-)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thought I'd better get round to playing this. It's neat and good fun. The character looks like it's from Rick Dangerous or something.

Yeah anyway, with some music, sfx (like for when you are moving the character around), more graphical polish (e.g. menus/dialogs) this could be cool. On your profile manager, I'd make a delete button instead of having f8 do it as that's a bit "techie" for casual gamers. Also windowed mode really ought to have a minimise button and a proper icon; mind you tons of games don't do this, but I like it ;-)

Yeah sprite is from rick dangerous, I've currently got 1 of them pixel freaks making a new one =D

As to minimise, its a BMax game so no minimise button by default but im sure theres a lib somewhere on the boards to put that in as well as an icon. (dont understand why BMax dont have these 2 things in by now).

Pressing F8 to delete a profile was an after thought, I finished the system and my bro said "um how do I delete a profile?"... "DOH!". Was goona add a button (need to redesign the frame), but i thought how often is a gamer goona delete a profile? and if I added a button I'd have to add some kind of Comfirmation box etc... easy enough to press F8 I thought... in short I got lazy, if I get some time I will add a button, but is way down my list at the moment.

Are you bothered that the character jumps whole sqaures rather than walks smoothly?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
Yeah sprite is from rick dangerous
haha, good spot then from my "played far too many games" past...

As for icon, I posted the definitive code for putting an icon on the title bar in code archives a week or two ago (in the Misc section). As for minimise, you should be able to find the code somewhere. All that stuff (+much more) is in my framework. Looks like you are making a framework of sorts as well with a profile manager etc. I did a profile manager to in the framework with a delete button ;-) and also sub dialogs etc.

Are you bothered that the character jumps whole sqaures rather than walks smoothly?
It seemed natural and keeps it fast. If you animate it, it could be too slow, but if kept fast it could look pretty smart.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#18]
Sokuban?