Polarity+ is Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Polarity+ is Released

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#1]
My latest game is released:

www.polaritygameonline.com

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#2]
Cool. But I don't like robotronish games. Well polished, I suppose, but it seemed fiendishly hard.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#3]
Like Warpy I'm not really into those sorts of games, but this looks extremely well polished!
Which Blitz did you build it with?

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#4]
It's done in BlitzMax.

Sorry about the fiendishness. I guess developers shouldn't be allowed to set the difficulty level!

There are some cheatcodes that make it a lot easier - just sign up at the bottom of the page and you'll get them through an email.

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
It looks quite interesting.

tafty(Posted 2006) [#6]
On running I got a completely blank screen with some pulsing sounds apart from a particle effect the first time I pressed space. Moving around sounded as though it was firing some mouse over events on menu items and I think I somehow started the game by pressing space because there was further sound effects, another particle effect or two and some glowing squares appeared. Then there was an occasional particle effect as if I'd been hit.

I had to use Task Manager to end it as pressing ESC appeared to alternate between what I assume was a pause menu and what might have been gameplay.

System: Win2K, Athlon 2400XP, 1Gb RAM, GeForce4MX Intergrated GPU

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#7]
I couldn't connect to your site :(

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#8]
Site might get a bit bogged down with people viewing the video? Seems to be ok now.

tafty:
GL drivers up to date?
Is vertical sync enabled? Triple buffer disabled?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
:( Site is dead :(

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#10]
>>> :( Site is dead :(

It works fine for me and several other people.

Try to reach it again.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#11]
Took about 40 mins to come back - got it now - thanks.

Hey Mark, perhaps we can work out something to help with bandwidth - fancy uploading to pjio?

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#12]
It's not my baby anymore. I did one of those coder-for-hire things.
I took azacreation's design and implemented it for them. They're doing the hosting, posting, selling and whatnot.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#13]
Fair enough.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
I'll play this later. Or is feedback at this point too late/useless?

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#15]
It was a closed development - very different than GridWars development.
I'd like to hear people's opinions - anytime.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#16]
Really slow server....taking me fo-eva to download....

tafty(Posted 2006) [#17]
GL drivers are all up to date. I've tried it with both V-Sync Application Controlled (which is default) and explicitly On. Unless Triple Buffering is enabled by default then it's not on - I can't actually find this setting.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#18]
Seems well made and is pretty good fun although hard. Lots of nice effects, good framerate.

Some small observations:

- windowed mode no icon and no minimise (I always check this ;-) and tons of game sdon't do it)
- only 15 minutes play time on demo is unusally low, I guess because you can complete the game in a small amount of time if you are suitable skilled...
- I didn't seem to be able to make use of the polarity thing and missles at all as all the enemies were firing white - why was this? Was I missing something?

um that's it I think...good luck with it.

andy_mc(Posted 2006) [#19]
So Bizarre careations pulled your game? well, I hope you paid them back the millions of pounds you made off their IP ;-)

Maybe jeff minter should tell them to pull geometry wars from live arcade?

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#20]
I managed to get to stage 2, I think it's a nice and tough game with very good graphics. Part of what makes it tough (for me at least) is using the left hand on AWSD for moving.

(The following is not about your game, but there seems to be a memory leak in the video player used on that site (or else a memory leak in Firefox), it uses about an extra 10MB each second, I stopped it at 350 MB at which point the movie playback was also showing problems.)

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#21]
I played it, but I cannot say I liked it, sorry. For numerous reasons, but mainly the small arena and weird player avatar. I couldn't relate to the game at all... My 360 controller was acting weird as well, while working perfectly within windows.
Still, it seems a solid programming job so well done, looking forward to your next effort.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#22]
Just remembered one thing. When you pick up the power up, I'd swear the sound effect is from the Map in XCOM Terror of the Deep ;-)

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#23]
Played the demo. Had some fun too. Well done.

A couple of things though - the 15 min time limit. Personally I think it's better to be over generous with content. Prey was a good example. Dark Messiah (with its 1.3GB download for 15min gameplay) was a bad one.

Secondly, I often died not through lack of motor skills but because I didn't see a bullet - I think the double diamond like baddies shoot small red bullets (on a red background)? Which is a design issue.

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#24]
Math got supershot!
Math is blowing all enemys away!
Oh no!
Math can't see!
Too many particles!
Math get hit by invisible bullet and die.
Math is angry.

..lol I like it theres just way to many particles.........