Rocket Boot Hero Preview

Community Forums/Showcase/Rocket Boot Hero Preview

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here is a sample of my latest project i am working on.

Please let me know if it runs ok on your machine, becouse when i try to run it on another machine the graphics don't load properly. I included the source for viewing, maybe someone can shed some light on what i might be doing wrong...

http://hsretrogames.com/HRBH_proj.zip

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
Graphics are all white squares here. Sorry don't have BMAX so can't look at source.

[EDIT] In the ImageTest exe the graphics display fine.

P4 3ghz, Gf440mx 64mb. XP Pro.

Stevie

andy_mc(Posted 2006) [#3]
What's the fire button?
I can't get past the menu!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#4]
Cannot start game.

Menu graphics need a lot of work.

Please allow the user to skip the splash screens.

Music is distorted.

Graphics look very blotchy.

Keep up the good work!

;-)

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#5]
Game screen is always white with some green squares. The only options worked was the "Resume Current Game" and "Return to Windows" with the space key.
This sample on my PC was totaly unusable.
Sory...

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#6]
Please note this game is not nearly finished yet. can anyone checkout my code why the graphics are blotchy or not loading right?

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#7]
The games controls:

fire=left ctrl, (button 1 controller)
action=left alt, (button 2 controller)
move=arrow keys, (dpad/stick controller)

action+left=smoke
action+right=drink
action+down=bomb (not added yet)

buttons 7 & 8 on controller also drink&smoke

Alot of the game's menu is not accessable right now, press space or fire on RESUME GAME or RETURN TO WINDOWS.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#8]
Hey Chugs40! The source shows:

IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\hslogo.png"
IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\retro_web.png"

IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\herobg.png"
IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\herodsp.png"

IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\hero01.png"
IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\hero02.png"
IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\hero03.png"
IncBin "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\hero04.png"

and since we don't all have your same directory structure such as "c:\program files\blitzmax\myshit\graphx\" then it may fail on loading the images. You should maybe try using something to load the gfx directly from a directory in the apps root directory, like:

IncBin ".\sprites\smoke.png"
Global smoke:TImage = LoadImage("incbin::.\sprites\smoke.png")
MidHandleImage(smoke)

Not sure if thats why everyone is getting white blocks (myself included!) but give it a whirl and we'll have another go at testing it out!

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#9]
It's not that, I get all the graphics on the menu (not that I can do anything past the menu).

Incbin includes at compile time, the file paths are irrelevant after that.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#10]
The images which *do* load are in data. Those that don't load have been incbinned. Is it possible the exe wasn't built from the same .bmx file you've supplied?
More likely is that incbin is case sensitive. This would probably mean that 'program files' should be 'Problem Files'.
However, running your own .exe should have got this problem... I think.
<edit> Hmmm maybe not as the image test using 'program files'
<edit2> Is it possible your grabimage code is not grabbing the right stuff? Without all the images it;s tricky to know what's going on.

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#11]
I have updated the project again here's the new link.

http://hsretrogames.com/HRBH_proj.zip

The images i collect my sprites from are loaded and displayed while the program starts up, and you will see at some point something turns white.

The program runs great on my machine, which is the wierd thing.

About the incbin thing i don't think the paths matter, I mean the images should be stored in the app itself.
Besides i did away with the incbin at one point, and loaded all of the imagery directly out of the data folder at run time, and still had problems on other machines. Some thing is not storing or is getting corrupted somehow.

This is my 5th project in bmax, i noticed i seem to be having more problems with version 1.22.

My last project Jack-o's Revenge had problems at one time too, especially after upgrading to 1.22. (it may be coinscidence)
Like white images and wierd black borders around images.
Check it out: http://hsretrogames.com/jack-o.zip and please report any suspicious graphics behavoir..

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#12]
@Pert and Chugs40:

Oh yeah! Duh! Didn't know what the hell I was thinking. :) Any more clues as to the mystery of the white blocks?

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2006) [#13]
The last link to your HRBH_Proj is not correct!

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#14]
Sorry about the type-o in the new link, it's fixed now...