Temple Of Tangram

Community Forums/Showcase/Temple Of Tangram

maverick69(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm proud to announce that our latest BlitzMax Game "Temple Of Tangram" has been released on BigFish Games.

It's based on the classical chinese game Tangram and the Amiga/Atari ST game "Tangram" of Thalion.

You can download it here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/downloads/templeoftangram/index.html

I like to know what you think about it.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#2]
That is awesome.

On a different note... did you guys create Absolute Blue with blitz?

maverick69(Posted 2006) [#3]
thanks. yes, Absolute Blue was done using Blitz3D (as well as Psychoballs).

stayne(Posted 2006) [#4]
Wow I never would have guessed. I remember when I saw it over at shmup-dev.com. I played the demo a million times. Amazing stuff.

Ice9(Posted 2006) [#5]
Nice game but I got a surprise when I opened my browser and
saw a Big Fish games toolbar browser helper object.

I was wondering if that helps your sales or do you get
complaints about that. My general personal rule is not
to purchase anything that installs other things on my
system that I have to clean off. I must have missed the
checkbox that gave me the choice not to install it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
Very pro looking/sounding all round. I didn't get the BFG browser thing, just the usual "More Great Games" on the desktop.

couple of feedback things:
1) like the spiritual sayings
2) gfx nice all the way through
3) good the way new game elements introduced + the sub game
4) The options and highscores on the title screen look at bit pixely on the edges.
5) Having a music track later on with lyrics in seems dodgy to me for a casual game, I prefer no lyrics...
6) No windowed mode.
7) When quiting it didn't say I can resume later (even though I could) so I was worried for a minute until I checked.
8) one of the sub game sounds effects sounds just like a Bejewelled noise ;-)

Anyway, cool and good luck with this! Suppose you'll put it on Reflexive too?

Hey btw, did you use the BMax Viewport command at all (like when drawing the scroll) as some recent tests showed it wasn't 100% reliable on all PCs so I had to find a workaround for my game? Also did you decide on a max texture size to support older cards, say 1024x1024?

puki(Posted 2006) [#7]
This looks interesting, I don't play these types of games - but at least it looks interesting.

Pingus(Posted 2006) [#8]
Nice game. I wish you a lot of succes with.
And nice butterflies in the main menu. Are there in 3D ?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#9]
yeah I was wondering about the butterflies. As BMax doesn't do 3D I was wondering if the wings could be done with some kinda scaling, the then I thought maybe they're prerendered (would be easiet) although they do look "coded" in 3D I admit.

maverick69(Posted 2006) [#10]
thanks to all for the nice words. it feels really good to read such comments :-)

the butterflies are prerendered, but i think they would have been looked the same if just save the middle-part as sprite and the wings and scale the wings in the x-axis. (i've seen this way in a flash demo a few months ago).

but at the time we've done this i didn't think of this way... :)

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#11]
Ok here's my take on it. I played it to level 24 btw. Remember this is constructive and just my opinion.

The BAD stuff first:

1. It already knew my name somehow and put it in the game for me. I definitely didn't like that at all. I don't want apps snooping around and peeking in the registry etc.

2. The BigFish icon being added to the desktop was unwelcome also.

3. There's too much downtime in between levels. I felt like I was spending most of my time looking at ancient chinese proverbs than actually playing a puzzle game.

4. The particle effects seemed a bit ordinary and non-unique to the game. That's probably just the programmer part of me talking and most people won't notice/care.

5. Maybe this type of puzzle game doesn't appeal to me but I didn't find myself wanting to continue to play it. I'm 1 person in a world of 6.5+ billion people so this probably doesn't carry much weight.

6. The whirlwind taking a piece out of the puzzle is frustrating.

7. When the puzzle is moving up and down, you can see the lines where the black pieces meet. I used this to cheat and build the puzzle faster because I could tell where the edges were.

The GOOD:
1. I DO like the aspect that you're moving along a map to a destination be completing each level.

2. Overall the menus and coding work really well. Good job on that part.

maverick69(Posted 2006) [#12]
1.) Oh, I just tought it would be easier, but you are probably right and we have to think about it if it would be better to ask the play for the name at the first start.

2.) We have no influence on this, because the installer is done by BigFish Games. We will release an own version soon on our website, which won't include links to BigFish.

3.) You can disable the progress map and/or the wisdoms at the option-menu

4.) I also wasn't satisfied with them at first but our artist likes them, so no more work was put into that. Proabably I should rework this.

5.) The audience for this game are casual gamer

6.) A lot of other people on other boards told us that, too. It's very surprinsing because no one of our beta testers mentioned it altough we asked them exactly this question. Do you think it would be better if it doesn't appear so frequently?

7.) You're right. Should be fixed in the next update.

Thanks again, for your comments... !!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
The code to get the username is on these forums somewhere and I was considering adding it to my game. Interesting to hear that it can be viewed as negative.

btw, I like the wisdoms :-) but hey I said that already.

I found the whirlwind a bit too frequent, at least that early in the game, maybe it could happen more often on later levels but not much on early ones?

Oh yeah, the coloured circle particle effects are a bit plain...when I first did particles in my current game they were similar and I wanted them to look better so spent a bit of time on them.

good luck with this.

maverick69(Posted 2006) [#14]
Okay, I will change the wirlwind in the next update. I will also try to improve the particles a little bit (it's no waste of time, because I can use them in my next game, too, if they are nice :-)).

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#15]
A Very polished looking intro. The ying/yang mouse pointer is a nice touch.

I personally feel that the masses may think it is 'intelligent' that a game can auto detect your name.

The shadows on the butterflies are a nice touch. As for the sound, my wife's first comments on how it sounded upon coming within earshot of the computer were "that sounds good".

On the proverbs side, I was playing this with my child, and it gave her a chance to practice her reading - some of the proverbs were quite poignant as well.

Hope you do well with this, regards -

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#16]
I have seen that auto detect your name feature more frequently. I guess it's not so bad after all. Just have to get used to it I guess.

That said, I'm probably going to implement this feature in my game too. ><