Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#1]
Finishing up level 14 - Council Tower.

No fighting as such in this level (the previous level had much tank blasting), instead the player travels from the basement to the top level - in order to meet with the mysterious 'Council'.

Tower interior

Exhibit room

Councilor model

markcw(Posted 2006) [#2]
this stuff reminds me of an lsd trip i had one time. verrrry nice! lol j/k. don't flame me. it's really cool, do you have a demo?

Andres(Posted 2006) [#3]
Modern Tron, with discoballs and stuff.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yah, I can almost hear that mix of techno and 80's new wave music playing......looks cool!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#5]

...do you have a demo?

Well last time there was, there was much discussion and disagreement about the control method. ;-)

Looking good though Jack.

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
Oooh, this keeps getting better and better. I actually almost touched myself.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#7]
'Yah, I can almost hear that mix of techno and 80's new wave music playing......looks cool! '
Thanks Neuro - I've bought two sci-fi music packs from Arteria and they suit the style really well. Music really helps set mood in a game.

'Modern Tron, with discoballs and stuff. '
Heh - think I'm getting the hang of this style of abstract art. It's actually not that easy to create a cohesive look in this style without any hints from 'real life' - but I'm getting there.

'do you have a demo? '
As to a demo - I did release one some months back and as Steve mentions, a lot of people didn't care for the control scheme so I'll need to release a control test demo next. Stil plodding through content creation at the moment (it takes so long!), so couldn't give an eta on that - sorry.

Puki
Tell you what, if I have time I'll drop in a 'Puki easter egg' - perhaps a secret puki that once discovered then appears somewhere on your tank as a mascot, waving you into battle - until it gets hit by a shell ;-)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#8]
ok, no demo. i can live with that!

so, what was wrong with the controls? from the pictures it looks like it should have standard FPS controls, that is mouse look and keys for forward/back and strafe. what were/are these controls like?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#9]
looking good....

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#10]
markcw

It's actually a 3d tank game - with a few levels on-foot.
The on-foot levels are standard FPS control, but the tank game is first person and uses the RMB to stop the turret's rotation.

If you like I can re-upload the demo for a short time.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#11]
It's looking good. Is that a Mirror in the first pic? And if so, are you using DLL support to clip the world? And what's that shiny red on the "discoballs", is that per-object-glow or something?

All in all looks like it's very well done, although this dominance of red/neon may work only for one level, not for an entire game.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#12]
jfk

'Is that a Mirror in the first pic'

Heh - no - it's a movie projector. When not activated it has a static texture displaying. When activated, I use playmovie and copyrect to display the movie within the frame. There's not much else going on, so the framerate hit is acceptable.

'And what's that shiny red on the "discoballs", is that per-object-glow or something?'

No - just a couple of globes with a second texture layer set to additive/fixed spherical UV. As the 'sculpture' rotates slowly, different panels flick on/off. A simple fx but adequate.

'although this dominance of red/neon may work only for one level, not for an entire game. '
Agreed - the other levels have a much broader palette however. I've just used it for this interior and it makes it more interesting when the player reaches the top and can see the sky outside (3rd pic)

Thanks for the feedback.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#13]
This looks really amazing and fun1 The only think that makes it odd is how the textures on the edges are incosistant. I don't think you can fix that, unless you use wireframe primatives drawn over solid black primatives.It's just bizzare to see vector lines emulated as textures. The overall concept is really well executed though.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#14]
Ryan

'how the textures on the edges are incosistant. '

Yeah, it's a problem. Usually I block out a level with 3d World Studio, then bring it into Lightwave for texturing (as 3DWS can't handle fitting textures to angled quads - at least, last time I checked).

I have to spend time then tweaking UV co-ords to try and get some consistency. It doesn't help that Blitz's texture filtering can't be adjusted.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#15]
@ MadJack,

Vorderman used a DLL which has antriscopic filtering in his Stunt Car remake which may help you here. I'm pretty sure other use it too.

Stevie

markcw(Posted 2006) [#16]
> If you like I can re-upload the demo for a short time.

no, don't bother. i can wait for the next "official" release.