Anyone want to help concept/design levels?

Community Forums/Showcase/Anyone want to help concept/design levels?

Matty(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello All,

For a while I've been working on this simple game. The game play is simple, and I enjoy playing these little test levels I've put together...

However I'd like to design a few levels, not many - maybe 5 or 6 at most, preferably outdoor environments. I've got 4 playable characters (all can play at once) and a small number of enemy types - goblins (they swarm around the player in large numbers but are weak individually), ghosts (they can move through obstacles, and do a little damage to the player before fading away unless the player gets them first), warlocks (launch fireballs at the players which knock them back or can cast other spells such as summoning more ghosts - a bit of variety available with them), large 'demon' beasts - big red monsters with horns who make a lot of noise, do a lot of damage, but with good timing the players can take them down without taking much damage). I've got a few more creature models which I haven't rendered yet, namely a skeleton with sword and shield (haven't really decided on its behaviour yet so probably won't be included for some time), an armoured 'evil' barbaric warrior (black knight?) also not sure yet of its behaviour so not included yet.

There are a number of little pickups/powerups the players can collect for either points/extra damage/extra armour/health.

Here are some screenshots so far -

Character Selection Screen

Test Level With Some Goblins, a Warlock and a Barbarian playing

Another screenshot from same basic level

One more screenshot:

Anyway, I'd like to focus on outdoor environments for the few levels I am going to make, but would like a bit of a 'roadmap' for the level designs. I'm a bit wary of posting a thread like this, but if people are willing I'd like to ask for some assistance with coming up with possible layouts for levels based around the elements mentioned above..whether they be pencil sketches or simply short descriptions.

The game is a 2d one, I've got no plans on doing anything commercial with the finished product - just want to put together a complete & simple game for my friends and I.

So if you are interested then I await your reply...

..and if you are not interested then that's fine too.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#2]
Looks great but I think some shadows would stop the floating effect.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#3]
You are right Boiled Sweets, but I'm not sure what the best implementation of them would be or how to go about it - the way I draw the screen is not exactly standard, it doesn't look so noticeable when things are moving.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
Amazing characters there.

degac(Posted 2006) [#5]
Agree with Boiled Sweets, just put at last a simple shaded oval, it will be sufficient
great gfx!

Matty(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks again for the feedback.

As I mentioned in my first post though - if anyone wishes to assist me in designing some basic outlines for some levels then it would be greatly appreciated.

I think I will attempt to put shadows into the game, I do agree it will look much better if they are present.