Joystick Johnny (WIP)

Community Forums/Showcase/Joystick Johnny (WIP)

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#1]
I recently started development on my first shareware game, called Joystick Johnny.

It's probably best described as WarioWare meets MAME. Or, if you're familiar with it, it's a bit like Lazy Jones from the C=64.

I have some early screenshots here:
http://www.joystickjohnny.com

And you can try out the prototype here:
http://www.joelesko.com/games/joystickX.zip

If you'd like to see a particular classic game remade, let me know! I'm obviously going to be careful with copyrights, so the final minigames will be more like parodies that resemble the originals.

Joe

Amon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Joystick Johnny? WTF!

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hey, this looks quite exciting.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#4]
I like the concept ... you should do a Tubin' remake or maybe a Virtua Racing one ;)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
"Johnny Joystick" is a better sounding name - looks like a good idea though.

IPete2.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#6]
Coupled with the name, that screenshot looks a bit, um, dodgy...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#7]
LOL! Yes you might want to think about changing the name a little.

How about a Bomb Jack conversion?

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#8]
Ok, I see your point on the name. I really didn't think about it that way.

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#9]
If anyone wants to try out the prototype, here it is:

http://www.joelesko.com/games/joystickX.zip

It has 24 mini-games. =)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#10]
Why not call it Lazy Jones. Someone know that title from the C64?

That might give you more ideas.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#11]
Why not call it Lazy Jones. Someone know that title from the C64?

That might give you more ideas.

Um... From his original posting:

It's probably best described as WarioWare meets MAME. Or, if you're familiar with it, it's a bit like Lazy Jones from the C=64.

(I do remember playing Lazy Jones myself, back in the 80's)

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#12]
Played the prototype and... is that what games were really like back in the stone age? They were all quite easy, and what difficulty there was was caused by the slowness of the controls. It also didn't feel very authentic because everything moves smoothly, instead of the jumps you'd got on a very low-res screen.
Nice effort, but I didn't really have fun playing it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
lol, how about wagglestick william.

gotta check this stuff out later as your stuff is cool, like the Ikari warriors game and the roller blading barbarian! (they were yours weren't they?)

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#14]
Yeah, Grey, those were mine. :)

JJ will have a similar style but it doesn't show in the prototype yet. It's just getting out of the proof-of-concept stage right now.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#15]
hot jimny, you made the roller barbarian game? That's genius!
Perhaps you should make another original game instead of these, that don't really 'work'.

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks, Warpy. I think. =)

The prototype was really just to see if I could make a general framework for creating minigames quickly. The minigames themselves will approach (and hopefully surpass) the absurdity of my other games like Barbarian Roller Rally.

Also, the "metagame" in the arcade itself will be, if anything, original.

It's hard to explain without actually making the game, so I think I'll go back to doing that now. =)

Joe

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#17]
Holy crap......I thought the barbarian roller ralley game was it, but this has got to be one of most unique game or shall i say games, ever!!

I thought the idea was pretty freaking cool. It seems like you took a bunch of the popular Atari games from back in the day and put it all in one whole suite...which is a game itself. The games were simple, yet somewhat intense since you're basically racing against a clock. I like the idea, others may not be too into the retro stuff. But all in all, this is a lot of work different work. Looking forward to playing the finish version (i only got 18/24 games completed this first time around..).

Oh yah, and that axel foley techno remix music was a nice touch! Made me feel like i was in the 80s again (or whatever i can remember of it). You should throw in a music clip of the rocky theme song remix.....just for sh*ts and giggles.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#18]
I've been thinking of doing something similar for years - thanks for inspiring me to pursue it.

Although the arcade is just one part of my game.