Pulse

Community Forums/Showcase/Pulse

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#1]

This my new game Pulse. Its an Island survival game where you collect rescources and build stuff to help you survive and get out.

Note: This shot does not show the new rocks, Iron ore, or Copper Ore that can be collected and used.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Everything looks like its made from cardboard cut-outs, especially the trees.

Dunno... maybe that's just the effect you're going for...?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think it would look better if you stayed with simular hues. Maybe choose a family of colors you wish to use and use some midtones from each. If if you want some blue and green tones, then mix them throughout the image. The yellow looks very out of place. Perhpas use some texture on the3 skydome too. I just think it lacks color harmony. The textures and colors are kind of random. I'm not trying to be an ass just give some advice. The leaves are detailed while the ground is smudged into oblivion. The textures and colors are too different from model to model.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
I think harmonizing the colors may be a later step. I am missing a skybox texture here, blue background really doesn't work for outdoor scenes.

The trees are confusing me as well, a bit like pencils with leafes, hope you don't mind. Try this:
http://www.melog.ch/dl/treecreator_mod_jfk_dec05.zip

Basicly I like the idea of a island survival game. It reminds me a lot of the german "Stranded" (I guess that was the name, was it?). The game has simple graphics, but the SIM engine was pretty smart.

For the terrain I'd use an additional texture layer with a grainy small scaled structure texture (eg. sand structure). This will prevent the molten chocolate feel when the camera is close to the ground.

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
The game idea sounds exciting. I think "McDickie" has already released a game based on the same idea.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#6]
Actualy stranded was it. My inspirations. Was lost to the BlitzCoder shut down tho. This is just a preview. I'll look into hues.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#7]
I love schiffbruch/stranded type games. The 3d ones never seem to work quite right, though.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#8]
Big pencils you've got there! ;-)

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#9]
Just so you know...
-I've added a dynamic skybox with time.
-Collectable berries, iron ore, copper ore, leaves, vine, and wood.
-Dynamic swimming (you move with the waves and such)

And the color map for that shot was a 4096x4096 image. Does anybody know of a better, faster way of doing it. I tried the multi-tex terrain sample from blitz with no luck. I need it for sand, grass, and stone.

EDIT!
This is a new shot featuring the above with a good morning skybox and glowy tint. Took out the lens flares, they slow it down to much.