Freehunter (my game) screens

Community Forums/Showcase/Freehunter (my game) screens

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#1]
You can see screens of my game, Freehunter, at:
http://freehunter.iespana.es/
EDITED: Also you can download the full game.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
looks great.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks better than great !

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#4]
Very impressive!

I'm glad to see someone else is making big outdoor themed FPS stuff.

Except yours has aliens...model it yourself?

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#5]
woah, that looks very very cool indeed.

DEMO!!!

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
Now, listen here "angel martinez". This won't sell - too complicated to say why. However, your 'get-out-of-jail card' is to sell the project (code and media). I'm sure we can agree a price.

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#7]
The enemy characters and other animated models are .md2 from polycount.All the aircraft models and buildings,etc. are made by me.
I am planning to release the game in a week or two, after some tests.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
very impressive. good luck.

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#9]
More screens to see:
http://freehunter.125mb.com

stayne(Posted 2006) [#10]
Very very nice. Is that specular lighting on the sand? Could you post a closeup of the water?

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#11]
No, that is not specular light on the sand, it is just the flare from the lens flare effect, in that point.
The water is made with Ashadow library and I think it looks very impressive, with bumps and real reflections.
I will upload a better screen from water...

Cruis.In(Posted 2006) [#12]
wait a minute, how long have you been working on this?
looks great. how can you finish it so fast? it must be at least 10,000 lines of code so far.

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#13]
Yes, it has about 9000 lines of main code + several includes
from some libraries,the game uses.
I have been working on this project(first called Starburner)for two years more or less.It has been a personal project I started for learning purposes,but mainly for fun and I have the determination to finish it and release it, for free, in a couple of weeks.

Cruis.In(Posted 2006) [#14]
well I can't give you anything but major props..
your determination is just awesome.

did you ever feel like quitting along the way when you didn't understand something?

I find that as i go along, i start almost thinking in code, and can read through what its doing easier, like where i have a bug, ive been here a while. but i only coded about 2 months only. i quit for a year then came back :)

i hope one day soon my determination holds true like yours, and i finish my project.

firstborn(Posted 2006) [#15]
I hope you do get round to finishing it! It looks very cool! Is it singleplayer only?

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#16]
Yes, it is singleplayer only.

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#17]
Will it be a comercial product? It looks very proffesional!

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#18]
It is going to be free, gratis.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#19]
hey angel..I would like to ask you how did you solve problem regarding Andreymans library...I mean, when your HUD came over water (reflective/refractive) is it refracted too?? I have this issue and by now I didnt solve it..its pretty annoying..

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#20]
Yes, the hud was refracted.This is the reason I disabled the water refraction in my project :(
But only with reflection the water is pretty good looking.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#21]
If you're using the code from the WaterSample2.bb file, disable refraction (Refract=0). Once you do this your water will be opaque. In the main code there's a section that deals with the fog according to the camera's Y axis and you'll see 2 render modes. Comment out render mode 152,1 (or something like that) and leave the 48,1 mode active. The water will be transparent/translucent again, but not refractive. This will also eliminate the hud reflecting and other negative visual issues (like sprites being cut off).

Please let me know if you find a better way :).

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#22]
HUD is now not refracted, but still under water plane if comming over it..this library is really great..I have excellent water I create with textures of my own, but this HUD issue really giving me headache..

stayne(Posted 2006) [#23]
Got a reply from him on this :)

"Hi Mark,

The Decision of the problem for HUD&Refraction:

;Renders ( RenderWorld(), ;AUpdateWater (camera),PostProcess_Render(camera) )...

ShowEntity gui
RenderEntity( HUD, Camera,0,0)
HideEntity gui

Good luck."

Yeeeeaaaaalrighty!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#24]
.hmm..I'm not sure that I clearly understand how this will work, especially if you using AlphaGui what was my intension..maybe you can post some working sample Mark, a?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#25]
HA!..its working :)..cooollll

Jimboe(Posted 2006) [#26]
Wow, this game looks amazing. It looks like there will be diverse game play, between flying, riding in vehicles, and shooting aliens. I can't wait to play. But do you seriously need at least 784 mb of ram?

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#27]
I have to say that the game is not well optimized, and because the type of scenery it uses, it requires a powerfull PC to run fluidly.
I have made tests in a 512 Mb (RAM) PC and it doesn't work, but it runs well in a 1 Gb system,I think 784 Mb is enough.
My development PC is a AMD64 3200+, Geforce 6800GT and 1Gb RAM, and I get about 40 fps (20 fps in the very worst case) with the graphics detail set to medium, but with all the effects (bloom, motion blur and water reflection) turned on.
The reason it needs so much RAM is because all the scenery is loaded at the begining and the vegetation system eats a lot of memory, sorry...

nawi(Posted 2006) [#28]
You need some serious optimization..

Jimboe(Posted 2006) [#29]
It's fine it looks like it's going to be a great game. I'm going to upgrade my RAM soon anyway.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#30]
One word: Dang.

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#31]
Freehunter has won the jury special prize in Art Futura 06 (amateur videogames contest section) here in Spain !!!.
I am very happy.( the prize is a Sony PSP :) )
http://www.artfutura.com/

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#32]
Nice one, looks very tidy indeed.

Leto(Posted 2007) [#33]
Hi angel, I wanted to give your game a go but the download link doesn't appear to work (it redirects to a "batcave" webhosting homepage??)

angel martinez(Posted 2007) [#34]
Try here:

Ryudin(Posted 2008) [#35]
It says the site does not exist when I go to download the zip file. Any ideas?

Very cool looking screenies, though :).

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#36]
Any ideas?
Try not visiting year old threads?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#37]
works for me... even though it is a year old...

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#38]
works for me too

I'd forgotten about this little gem. It still looks good, and plays okay too.

angel martinez(Posted 2008) [#39]
The site and the zip link ( the game also :)) works correctly.