CAN YOU HANDLE THE EXCITEMENT? I KEEP FAINTING

Community Forums/Showcase/CAN YOU HANDLE THE EXCITEMENT? I KEEP FAINTING

puki(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://media.putfile.com/Star-Trek---Blitz3D <<< Hello sailor.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#2]
Uhura's wearing trousers? Sacrilege! We want teh legz!!!

I KEEP FAINTING

Lack of oxygen to the brain would be my guess.

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
No she isn't - she has got a skirt on. Plus, I got that tasty blonde one "Rand" in a skirt too - plus, "Nurse Chappell" too.

Woof, woof.

Phoaarrr!!!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
I vote for "seven of nine".

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]
yes, I can handle the excitement.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
No she isn't - she has got a skirt on.

Oh. Well I'm all turned around on the game now. You've got three weeks to finish and release it, chop chop, there's a good sausage.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
I dont think there is that much space infront of the navagation consoles

puki(Posted 2006) [#8]
Forget the graphics, it is the sound that is what counts - it's all produced on-the-fly as you (as "Kirk") play the game - the speech changes based on events:

http://media.putfile.com/Star-Trek---Blitz3D <<< Hello sailor.

I think many people would have assumed that the above sound file was from an episode of Star Trek.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#9]
Hmm, where's that pointy-eared Venutian, Mr. Spock (Leonard Nimoy for those who don't know)?!

puki(Posted 2006) [#10]
What?

He's sitting there on the left at his post.

His ears are visible.

The only person who doesn't speak in the example is "Chekov" - I'm still working on his behaviours.

puki(Posted 2006) [#11]
Also, I can assure people that the bridge model is pretty much spot on in dimensions:

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#12]
Star Trek > Star Wars, With that being said It looks very convincing. I'm not the biggest fan of the original but it looks just like the bridge did in the show. Personally I like TNG best and loathe DSN. If this is for a commercial game can you use their various likenesses and symbols? Put many meaningless abstract geometric shapes over the consoles and it will be 100% better.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#13]
Puki laughs in the face of copywrite laws.

I don't get it myself - surely it would be more satisfying and fun to create original characters/uniforms/bridge designs than to use Star Trek ones?

As for the sound file that he posted a link to - it sounds like a recording of the ambient background noise made on a day between adventures; a day in which nothing happens, and the crew just sit around, staring dully at their consoles and occasionally muttering and mumbling under their breath - kind of like a Sunday afternoon after having eaten a big lunch.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#14]
Hmm, where's that pointy-eared Venutian, Mr. Spock (Leonard Nimoy for those who don't know)?!
Mr Spock was from Vulcan, not Venus. That's where women are made. I read a book about it once.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#15]
Ah yes, Venus; an exotic place, filled with women, retractible window blinds, carnivorous plants and romantic - yet stinky - canals...

puki(Posted 2006) [#16]
I don't get it myself

Millions of people love Star Trek - you can sit and let this thing play itself and a new random episode of Star Trek unfolds in front of you - plus, you get to shape that episode.

it sounds like a recording of the ambient background noise made on a day between adventures

This is the result of the Enterprise being attacked and is very damaged - the attacker is not visible although can be picked up by the sensors. It's to show that the bridge carry on without you ("Kirk") dishing out tons of orders.

Who wants a game whereby the crew react only to your commands? This baby plays itself.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#17]
I get that, Puki, and it's a nice idea. The trouble is, everyone sounds calm, relaxed and, on occasion, a little bit bored; there's no sense of panic, danger or urgency. Also there is no sense of narrative focus to tie it all together.

Do you think that it is possible to randomly generate a compelling, energetic episode? I'm not sure it is, but I'll be keeping an eye on how this develops.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#18]
You should allow the player to wander around the bridge, letting out mighty "Khaaaaaaan!" screams at the click of the mouse, just to keep the crew on their toes.

Ooh, ooh! And it'd also be neat to stealthily sneak up to Uhura, listen to her mumbling quietly to herself for a while, and then loudly bellow "Fire!" in her ear(complete with melodramatic fist clenching animation.)

puki(Posted 2006) [#19]
"JustLuke" - I have added you in.

Listen to yourself:

the crew just sit around, staring dully at their console - there's no sense of panic, danger or urgency

http://media.putfile.com/test-97-95

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#20]
http://www.khaaan.com/

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#21]
"JustLuke" - I have added you in.

Listen to yourself:

the crew just sit around, staring dully at their console - there's no sense of panic, danger or urgency

media.putfile.com/test-97-95
Wow, I just watched that episode yesterday!

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#22]
So....should I be seeing a movie? Or am I supposed to just hear the audio? I mean, I faint for anything Star Trek related.

Andres(Posted 2006) [#23]
Blah, Right click disabled. Useless. It seems to be only an audio file: http://uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/26420582455.wav

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#24]
nice one. Trek LIVES!

puki(Posted 2006) [#25]
Nope, no movie - yet.

I'd like to complete before the new year - Christmas release. The main reason is (although not vital) 2006 is the 40th Anniversary of the original series - so, interest in the original series it at it's highest level for a while - especially, when you consider the 3 specially-made 40th anniversary movies due.

This is a real nightmare job to script.

The project was first started on the Amiga (circa 12 years ago) - I used a sound sampling cartridge to record the sound from 3 episodes of Star Trek, then proceeded to chop the sound up.

Example:

'Mr Spock, meet me in the transporter room, bring engineer Scott with you'.

I'd save the sample as a useable phrase (as is).

I'd then dissect it and save the components separatley

'Mr Spock'
'meet me in the transporter room'
'bring'
'engineer'
'Scott'
'with you'

On this basis, the sentence can be reconstructed with any crew-member's names. Many sentences can be dealt with this way - you can take everything Kirk (or anyone else) said to someone and change it to anyone you like.

I store multiple versions of many samples (words and sentences) - as Kirk (or other members of the crew) may say things at different speeds/volumes/emotions during the many episodes.

Example: I have multiple versions of Kirk saying 'Mr Spock' ranging from him saying them soft, to him saying Spock's name in anger. I can then insert the most suitable version.

The main point of the idea was to have a living Enterprise, where everyone carries on doing their job - regardless of what you ,as Kirk, do.

In a nutshell, we are talking a virtual Enterprise.

Expect to see more stuff coming from this project.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#26]
Yep, seems like you'll need to get a license from the Star Trek franchise in order to release this for profit, good luck with that.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#27]
I'll keep an eye on it! It'd be hot to see the crew rolling around and doing their thing.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#28]
A new genre eh - The Chat-Em-Up !

*(Posted 2006) [#29]
I would ask for the license before going into this in a big way as they have rather good legal departments that deal with this sort of thing.

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#30]
I say just add a pumping techno track and call it a day.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#31]
I would ask for the license before going into this in a big way as they have rather good legal departments that deal with this sort of thing.

Ed...if puke worried about licenses...

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#32]
Uhh, I just said that a few days ago...

H&K(Posted 2006) [#33]
Also, I can assure people that the bridge model is pretty much spot on in dimensions:

I know it makes me look realy sad, but I dont care, The navication and Helm consoles need to be further forward, and the stairs on both port and starboard need to be further round

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#34]
Yeah, I'd move the Command Module forward about 12 Rigel Measure Units. =)

H&K(Posted 2006) [#35]
Thats 12 CenteRigel units.

Some people Huh.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#36]
This is so awesome. I am big on the notion of interactive storytelling. Can't wait to see it in action!

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#37]
Wow, I had the last post 7 months ago. This idea of an interactive TV show is still awesome to me, has there been further progress?

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#38]
I'm hugely sceptical about the effectiveness of interactive storytelling, but it is a fascinating concept. It's one of those ideas that seems to be fundamentally flawed for many reasons - and yet the idealist in my wishes that it wasn't, know what I mean?

clownhunter(Posted 2007) [#39]
hawt

"Puki", I'm assuming you missed your deadline?

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#40]
Wow, I had the last post 7 months ago. This idea of an interactive TV show is still awesome to me, has there been further progress?

looks good!
As I written in my site, also my STproject will be something like it: Episodes scriptable bye users!

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#41]
Hand it over.

clownhunter(Posted 2007) [#42]
lulz "sonic", you want a 9 month old, dead project (fairly sure at least. Isn't "puki" onto oblivion 2 in b3d more recently?) from "puki"?

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#43]
Yes, puki, please finish it so I can stop fainting all the time in anticipation.

9572AD(Posted 2007) [#44]
If he managed to get the speech not to sound annoyingly choppy, this would be a pretty cool ambient thingamabob. I guess "screen saver" is the generic term, even though they don't really save screens anymore.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2007) [#45]
Just started actually watching Enterprise for the first time through the magic of reruns. It's actually pretty good. Although that theme really sucks ass.