Feedback request: Starchon iteration 25!

Community Forums/Showcase/Feedback request: Starchon iteration 25!

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#1]
2006.9.21 - Starchon i25 Released!
Iteration 25 of Starchon is available for download

Summary:

Starchon is a cross between a shooter and a real-time stategy. You can't directly decide where to place your units or which sectors to attack. However, you have a lot of indirect influence over the outcome of the game. The game is real-time, so if you take to long in a sector, you will probably be overrun by the enemy in the adjacent sectors.

Please give the game a try, and offer your input, because the game play is still being shaped!

Known Issues:

- Some memory issues still exist.
- High Score functionality is offline at this time.

Screenshots:

Download:

www.FreelanceGames.com/bin/Starchon_i25_Setup.exe

Please select input device from the Option Menu (default Mouse).

Mouse Controls:

-Fire "selected" Energy Weapons - Left Mouse Button
-Fire "selected" Missile - Middle Mouse Button or Left Control Key.
-Thrust - Right Mouse Button or "W" key
-Direction - Mouse to Payers Avatar Vector
-Select Ice Blaster - "1" key
-Select Particle Blaster - "2" key
-Select Laser Blaster - "3" key (auto locks and only fires at Starship when in range; not the Sentinel)
-Select Particle Rail Gun - "4" key
-Select Sonic Blaster - "5" key
-Select Trident Missile - "6" key
-Select Carrier Killer Missile "7"
-Select Cluster Missile - "8" key
-Select Heat-Seeker Missile - "9" key
-Select Tactical Nuke - "0" key
-Toggle between Sector and Galaxy Map - Spacebar
-Enter Slipstream - Click a valid destination from the Galaxy Map

Keyboard Controls:

-Fire - Right Control Key
-Rotate Counter Clockwise - A or Left Arrow Key
-Rotate Clockwise - D or Right Arrow Key
-Thrust - W or Up Arrow Key

I would love some feedback on how to make the game better!:)

Thanks Everyone

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
well the screenies are looking great!

popcade(Posted 2006) [#3]
This game is Great Fun, and the weapon design... ilike that.

Nice game design and play.

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#4]
Please, please, please make the volume controls work. I've played two different releases on two different computers and I couldn't control the volume on either one.

The game seems cool, otherwise.

SpaceAce

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#5]
Great looking screen shots - the title makes me think washing powder though - Starch on ;)

Matty(Posted 2006) [#6]
Played it a little. Enjoyed it. Don't have any negative criticisms to make. Seems fairly easy to play - I didn't use any of the keyboard commands just the mouse. Oh - when selecting the missions it took me a few seconds to work out I could not select the text itself but rather the triangle button to the left of it.

Very easy to jump right in and play, something important to me as I don't have the patience to play many, if any, commercial games ie stuff you buy in boxes at the stores.

Don't know if you are looking at selling this game or not, it seems decent enough, but there is more than enough gameplay in this little demo for myself as it is - which is either a good or a bad thing...

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#7]
@SpaceAce, I'll fix the volume in the next release; I didn't relieze it wasn't working. Thanks

@yoko, Thanks for the coments

@Smiff, St + Archon (pro-nounced)

@Matty, your comments about the mission selection has been noted. I am planning to sell the game once I'm happy with it. Thanks

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#8]
I would be interested in where people feel I should focus? If I gave you ten points (10 would be a lot of focus and 0 would be none), where would you place them in the following list:

Overall theme/concept/title
Characters
Storyline
Level design
Controls
Character actions and interaction
Overall level of fun
Graphics Quality
Front End (GUI)
Music
Sound Effects
Variety
Difficulty
Ease of entry/tutorial
Bugs
Length of game levels
Replayabily
Other Game Modes
Multiplayer

Thanks All

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#9]
Anyone else have any comments? I really be interested in difficulty and game play?

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#10]

@Smiff, St + Archon (pro-nounced)

No matter if you put the stress on the first silable or last it still sounds like detergent !! - you still make the sound "STARCH" in both cases.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#11]
Smiff,

I'm all in favor of you pointing out the issues in the game, but I'm really looking at game play comments and issues. If you have a chance to download the game, I would love to here your comments

Thanks

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#12]

I'm really looking at game play comments and issues

Sorry - just felt that the game deserves a better name. I'll shut up now ;)

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#13]
That wasn't what I meant. I'm just saying that I would be interested in your game play feedback, if you have a chance to try the game.

Jesse(Posted 2006) [#14]
Sean, your game is staring to show its true potential. I love how it controls how it shoots what it takes to destroy the baddies. I don't know if you are going to implement a spendable shield but that would be a nice addition. Don't mind me i am just fantasizing about the shield and I don't want to tell you how to make my game. :-)

I like the way the keyboard works now its great. but maybe you should add mapable keys such that I could decide what key to use for what. I think it is one of your things to do still. isn't it?.

I tried the first level and it seems pretty easy. By learning to contoll it one can even avoid getting hit
which is great.
I tried "Prelude To Invasion" option and I got sligthtly confused by the way scenes were working. I got to the first scene but there were no baddies. Second scene same thing. Third scene no baddies. I think there should be a purpose for any stage. trying to figure out what to do in each stage is not a plus for a shooting game. Unless you are trying to implement a story line wich would make it a ++.
the other thing I kind of concider iffy is the small screen view relative to the ship size. I kind of find it dificult to play in such a small playing view area with such a large ship. But that is just me. maybe everybody else finds it ok. or maybe give the option of a higher resolution.

I had been hesitant to answer you because I am not an expert on shooters. Not because I was trying to ignore you. take it however you want but I am starting to like what I see. and I will not get offended if you tell me off.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#15]
Sean, tried your first level and I was quite impressed - maybe change your first level to a training level - it is quitew easy, but entertaining nonetheless.

The mapable keys sounds like a good option to consider, and maybe set the default of trying to access the high scores via the net as 'no thanks', but if a user wanted to use this optio nthey could do so.

Good luck getting it to market - regards,

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#16]
@Blitzplotter,

For high scores I'm using IndiePaths high score framework. Although, there seems to be an issue with retrieving the high scores consistantly. So I might have to switch to something else in the future.

I think it needs a lot more work before it goes to market. Mainly around the area of giving the user some reason to come back and play.