Little paper people, or, maths melted my brain

Community Forums/Showcase/Little paper people, or, maths melted my brain

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I was going to wait until I'd got this perfect and then wow everyone with it, but as usual my mind's wandered elsewhere.

So for the last couple of weeks I've been thinking about how to do a simulation of that thing where you fold a piece of paper up lots of times, then cut it into the shape of a little person, unfolding to give a whole chain of little people.

So here's a why-can't-I-concentrate-for-longer-than-5-minutes-on-something EXE.

You can cut the bit of paper by clicking first outside of it, in the black space. Click on another point outside the paper to make a clean cut along that line, or click inside the paper to make an incision. Make another incision to the same point to cut a chunk out of the paper.

You can fold the paper by doing a normal clean cut, but right clicking instead of left clicking on the second click. You can cut folded paper, and unfold a fold by right clicking on it.

The folding doesn't completely work all the time yet because I haven't put the layering in. I know how to fix it, but can't be bothered today.

Anyway, hope someone likes this, I'm quite chuffed with myself for working out all the geometry and algorithms, but a bit disappointed I couldn't find the motivation to finish it properly.

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
I found this most interesting.

Oddball(Posted 2006) [#3]
How do you come up with these crazy, and brilliant, ideas? Is it substance abuse?

Yan(Posted 2006) [#4]
Class!

Finish it off so I can make a virtual doily!

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#5]
Oddball - I don't dare think what I would come up with if I took up substance abuse.

Yan - might do. Not now, though.

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#6]
Would you fancy making a page of all these little exploits? (the clockwork shooter, the ice cream war and now this although I'm sure there are others I've missed)

They make a fascinating look into the world of experimental gameplay, much more so than what I've found at the actual Experimental Gameplay site... this is brilliant stuff!

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#7]
Wow, that is a really genuinely nice thing to say! I'll do it, just for you :D

edit: I've just realised the controls for this are all wrong. You fold paper by grabbing a corner and flattening the edge with your thumb, don't you? The cutting makes sense though, because that's the first thing I thought of how to do. So now I need to see if my clever algorithm can work in realtime... hm..

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#8]
It does weird things this program for me, like completely destroying the paper. And I also wonder why it rotates the whole paper whenever I make a cut or fold?

If you wanna revamp the folding bit, maybe click which edge you wanna pick up, and then click again a distance over the rest of the paper where you want it to be folded to. Maybe the perpendicular distance from the normal of the edge would change the angle of the fold as well. Maybe I'm just screwing the vector maths in your head, but that's how I visualize it...

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#9]
Both of those problems are because I didn't do the layering properly (or at all).