Arcade Games

Community Forums/Showcase/Arcade Games

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have recompiled all of my games. They are longer demos, and are all FREEWARE now! So check em' out at my site. Play through them and give me some feedback.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hey Steve,

Thats quite a collection - have you been keeping them secret? I think these will prove quite popular with some of the forum members who love retro stuff. Good looking work dude!

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
wow that's quite a selection, the 1942 clone looks cool.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#4]
WOW jack-o I used to play that on my amstrad.

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#5]
Wow (notice how many replies start with that word?), man, that's a hell of a collection. Those games look utterly authentic in their coloring and detail. Keep up the good work.

SpaceAce

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
I haven't spent much time in the blitz community
lol, actually maybe this is a good lesson for us all, look what this non-forum addict has achieved. In fact they haven't even checked back to see how this topic is doing unlike me who'd check several times every hour ;-)

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#7]
Drat! I should've not click on the link. Now I'll spend the next few days in the retro land. Great work Chugs40!

Barney

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#8]
I tried "Major Havok" (a remake of "Scramble" isn't it?) and it's an enjoyable and nice game. I was a bit surprised by the "free version" message that ended the game after a few minutes (in the middle of frantic action ;)), since on your homepage it doesn't say that it is the demo version.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#9]

I haven't spent much time in the blitz community

lol, actually maybe this is a good lesson for us all, look what this non-forum addict has achieved.

LOL - now I see where I'm going wrong. Best go and code something.

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#10]
Wow! Wonder if he can toss those onto the Mac and compile them for us Mac'y
users, or even Linux.

-Garrett

Edit: Forgot to add "Wow!" at the begining of my reply! So had to add it!

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#11]
Thanx for all of the good reply's. I have a full time day job and don't have alot of time for the forums. I'm into making retro games! I have 4 of these games on c-net ( WWW.DOWNLOAD.COM ) They weren't doing so well. All you guys gave me good motivation to keep going!

If there are any questions on my games or upcomming projects you can email me at:
SteveHuck@...

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#12]
To Diablo:
There was a game called Jacko's Revenge on the amstrad? Whats the amstrad? Most of my games were in spired by stuff I played on the commodore 64 or nintendo as a kid.
That game was inspired by super mario bros. and cauldron II from broderbund software.

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#13]
To Foppy:
Yes Major Havok was inspired by Scramble.
Yeah, I should add that to my home page about those games being demos...

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#14]
Again thanx to every one, I will check back soon...

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#15]
Oh, uhh, golly gee, seems like you could open up your own Xbox Live Arcade or GameTap with THAT type of collection. Ever consider going into that online game arcade business with these?

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#16]
Chugs40:

Yea, Im sure there was. It was a lil different though. It was free-roaming and the controls were a lot more annoying.

cauldron II

Yea now I think about it mabey jack-o wasnt the title of the game but I prety sure it was called somthing like cauldron II.

I just remember how wired and cool it was. I used to bounce around for hours trying to figure out what the hell to do.

http://www.cpczone.net/index.php?game=183

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
Cauldron II: ah yes, that was great on the C64 but very hard I never got that far but kept trying anyway.

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#18]
I liked Major havoc (scramble) but the collision detection with scenery seems very flakey...i ket hitting scenery i was nowhere near (top of cave) and getting killed on the bit where the little green bouncing ships appear.Are you aware Major Havoc was also an actual game? (vector thing from Atari).

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#19]
Yeah the collisions are touchy in major havok, it was written in old blitz basic before blitz plus or blitzmax.
Yes I know major havoc was a game. But hey mine is spelled different!

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#20]
Hey RamHD, how many games have you written?!?

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#21]
Diablo or Grey Alien:
How do you guys put images in your signature?
New to this forum stuff...

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#22]
Diablo:
Yeah Cauldron II was hard, every time i would get somewhere my commodre would lock up. Thanx for the link that was cool stuff.
I was hoping my version would be more fun and fast paced.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#23]

How do you guys put images in your signature?

Click on the Account Menu and edit profile - then use the format you require.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/faq/faq_entry.php?id=2

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#24]
Wow, good stuff, man. =)

Probe is the best of the ones I tried. It isn't as frustrating as most lunar lander type games.

And based on the description alone, I can't wait for Rocket Boot Hero. =D

Your wife is drunk on malt liquor and passed out in the bottom of an old mine shaft, Now it's up to you (huck) with your trusty home made rocket boots to save her....

Joe

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#25]
I hope to have some screen shots posted for Rocket Boot Hero soon...
I've been drawing and cutting imagery like a mad man for that project, hope to get alot done this weekend...

Does any one have any other places I could put a link to my home page to attract more retro game players?

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#26]
Thanx for the info. Steve Elliot...

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#27]
Chugs,
I've played a bit of Jack-O's Revenge and I've noticed three things:
1) When I shut down the game, the screen closes but the music continues to play and the process continues to run, using as much as 50% of my CPU (I have a dual-core Athlon, so it is really burning 100% of one core with one thread). I have to open the Task Manager and kill the process to make it stop.
2) Sometimes, when I bounce on one of those armored beetles, I hit it right in the middle and can just keave Jack-O there to bounce up and down infinitely, racking up a tremendous score while doing nothing.
3) This is VERY FRUSTRATING and I don't think it's on purpose, but you'd know for sure: when jumping, I can control Jack-O's lateral movement unless I touch something, then the controls shut off completely. For example, if I am jumping from platform A (on the left) to platform B (on the right), it works just fine as long as I sail through open air. However, if I jump from platform A to platform B and my character bumps platform C (let's say it's a piece of scenery directly above platform B at the same X coordinate), my ability to control left-and-right movement disappears and Jack-O just falls straight down. It's hard to explain in words. If you don't know what I mean, I can screen-cap it for you; it is hideously annoying and is the main reason I haven't played more of the game.

SpaceAce

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#28]
Space Ace:

How long does the music play? does it skip and then stop?
On my machine when I shut it down the music flutters a little then the program terminates, can't figure out why...
I haven't had to shut it down manualy, maybe i should run it and see if it stays in my task manager, i will check.

The beatle thing was kind of on purpose to rack up points if you land just right, if its goofy i'll fix that...

The wall collision thing, i know what you are talking about. I had problems with jack-o sticking in the walls.
So when you jumo left or right in to an object jack-o is stunned until he hits the floor again. Did you turn auto turbo off? When auto turbo is disabled you can have more control over jack-o's speed and jumps. (if you havn't already) It's in the scrolling message...
If it's annoying people to where they do not want to play it, i will take out the stun thing....

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#29]
Does any one have any other places I could put a link to my home page to attract more retro game players?

Retro Remakes?

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#30]
Space Ace:

I ran jack-o, shut it down, checked my task manager and it was not running anywhere...
Were you shuting it down by pressing ESC or clicking exit from the menu?
The game was written in strict mode in bmax. Do you have to manually delete your sound and graphics objects? or do they terminate them selves in strict mode in bmax?
It was my understanding they are deleted at shut down.
Did all of the graphics look ok? No distortions or any thing?

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#31]
Thanx for the link LineOf7s, I'll check it out...

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#32]
Chugs,
I don't specifically remember how I shut the program down. I often use ALT-F4 when I'm in a hurry, and it's possible I did that or hit Escape several times quickly. I know that I've had to use the Task Manager most of the, if not every, time I quit Jack-O's Revenge.

I have started explicitly Nulling objects in my code because I kept running into memory leaks. In theory, though, I don't think you have to clean up anything manually.

As for the wall collision thing, it drives me absolutely nuts. It is definitely the reason I haven't played more of the game. I usually get frustrated within the first two levels. Without seeing your code, I am going to take a stab in the dark and ask if you are moving Jack-O THEN checking collisions or the other way around. At the slowish speeds he moves, you should be able to avoid most sinking problems using something like this:

If (Jacko.x + Jacko.width + Jacko.xvel >= object.x) Jacko.x = object.x - Jacko.width

If, however, you are first moving Jack-O then doing

If (Jacko.x + Jacko.width >= ...)
^^ The difference being you are checking after the move instead of checking his position+velocity before the move.

That's just one thought on the matter and may not be applicable in this case.

SpaceAce

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#33]
Space Ace:

I have uploaded a new version jack-o, check it out and tell me what you think now...

I modified some code and took out the stun in the wall collisions, now the control does not cut out and you can accualy ricochet off the walls, I thought the stun thing might be annoying to people.
(hopefully this is better, i dont want to redo all of my collision code! There are alot of collision detections in that game!)
I also modified it to were you can FALL off of a ledge or launch off of the rune stone and smash enemies with out having to jump. When just bouncing though make sure you jump!
I extended the length of the demo by 3 levels, These things should make the game more enjoyable...
As far as the program not shuting down, it shuts down fine on my 2 machines, sound or music flutters sometimes.
Does my logo appear at the beginning? or is there a white box, i've seen it do than on a couple of machines..

kragoth74(Posted 2006) [#34]
I have a white box instead of your logo.

I must say I'm pretty impressed with all the games you've done in 3 years. Nice work dude. :-)

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#35]
Chugs,
I get a white rectangle on load, I always have. The rectangle fades out like a logo, but it's blank.

The new ricochet effect is a little strange and takes some getting used to but it is WAY better than the old way. The game is a lot less frustrating, now. However, the ricochet does make it easy to climb Walls and break bricks laterally

I like the new ricochet system better than the old system, but I honestly still think it would best if you either took out the stun (without adding ricochet) or made the jumps more controllable. The ability to make a smaller jump would go a long way toward solving the problem.

I can no longer rapid-escape or ALT-F4 the game away. Did you change those? When I am forced to exit via the main screen, I don't seem to have any trouble with the game lingering on. You might consider making the source code available to the community. I think you would learn a lot and so would we.

SpaceAce

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#36]
Now what does that remind me of? I know that there was a game just like that on the NES, now I can't put my finger on it (or was that the SNES?!). Anyhoo, keep it up! I should be getting my CAD software done to aid me in some games like those, too (getting into wireframe arcade games now).

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#37]
Well Steve you've certainly inspired me to get my current projects finished - you've shamed me into it actually with all your completed projects! :-)

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#38]
Jack-o on my machine the logo looks fine, but i noticed on a couple of other machines, it's a white box, at compile time the source does not encounter any errors it loads the image, and displays it fine on my machine, so some thing is goofy with the incbin i'm guessing.

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#39]
Space ace:

Jump controls (i don't know if you tried this or not) disable auto turbo during play (press F4) manually controlling turbo can effect your jump height/speed and distance. Controls/info are in the scrolling message.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#40]
Well done Chugs, that's quite a portfolio you have there, hats off to ya.

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#41]
I think I have worked all of the kinks out of jack-o's revenge, so check it out!

www.hsretrogames.com/jack-o.zip

The wall collisions are fixed, no more breaking blocks that shouldn't break, no more stuning, no more climbing walls, improved control.

The logo bug is fixed at program launch. Auto turbo is off by default, so you have to maunually use turbo now (which is how the program originally was) to have more control over speed and jumps etc....

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#42]
Chugs,
The new controls are fantastic, great work! The game is much more enjoyable, now. I'm very impressed overall and I hope you keep turning out Blitz-based projects.

Here are a few suggestions/issues:
1) Volume control would be nice.
2) It bugs me a bit that hitting a block from underneath doesn't cause damage to an enemy walking on that block. I really, really miss that effect.
3) You seem to have some collision issues here:

SpaceAce

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#43]
Space Ace:

Thats actually a secret passage, they are every where through out the game. It's in the scrolling message, there is alot of info and tips in every one of my games scrolling messages.
At that particular part you follow that spider in there and there's a 1up hidden in the middle!

I've been thinking about the bumping enemies from below ever since i started that project. I'll add it soon and update it...

Chugs40(Posted 2006) [#44]
As for volume controls, (maybe you already knew this) you can individually turn off soundfx or music by pressing
F2 or F3 if they get annoying. Maybe I'll throw volume controls in there as well..
All of my new projects I am working on have indivual volume controls.