Crossfire remake

Community Forums/Showcase/Crossfire remake

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I would like to showcase a new game: "Gridfire" is a remake of Crossfire and my entry for the Retro Remakes competition (http://www.retroremakes.com). It doesn't have music but otherwise I am quite happy with it.

It can be downloaded from my homepage or directly from here: gridfire.zip (1.4 MB)

degac(Posted 2006) [#2]
HHHard!! I'm too old for this damned game! Great!!!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#3]
Grrr, you took my idea! :o)
Had no time anyway... :))))))))))))))))

Nice job!

Could you
1. Compress the first screen as jpg
2. Decrease the filesize of the other gfx by reducing the palette to 2 / 16 / 256 colors
3. UPX the exe
4. Convert the waves to ogg
5. Add sid support for the background music?

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks guys!

Grisu, the first screen is the Retro Remakes splash screen and to modify it means certain DEATH! Just kidding but it is not to be modified. I guess in this after-competition version I could modify it and also the other graphics but they are already quite small as they are anyway. I will have a look at UPX for following games.

About the SID support, in principle that would be nice, but I don't want to use the original music (just like I wouldn't want to use original graphics). Instead I wanted to make my own music, that didn't really work out in the end though.

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#5]
A very good remake but I'd rather prefer if you remade the original Crossfire, which appeared on Apple II. That one used much more interesting key control. AWSD keys were used for fire control and IJKL were used for movement control. The player character (robot) did not stop automatically at the intersections. You were required to press SPACE to stop it. This made it much more interesting than versions appearing on later computers.

Barney

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#6]
Neat Game Foppy - kinda like Bomberman meets Berzerk. Quite challenging as well (which is good).

Although it could do with a few extra levels of difficulty - normal seemed a bit hard and easy a bit too easy.

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks all, I have uploaded a new version 1.1 (same link as in first post) to which was added/changed:

- Apple II controls
- "normal" difficulty slightly easier

About the Apple II controls, I read in a Retrogaming article that it used ESDF so I have used those ;). ESDF for firing and IJKL for moving. I found the need to press space to stop very challenging to say the least, so I have also added a control scheme "Apple II type b" in which stopping is automatical.

I quite like the Apple controls (type b), thanks for the suggestion Barnabius!

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#8]
NP. Yes. You are right. I just checked on my Apple II and it, indeed, uses ESDF for firing. I must've been influenced by FPS games and their usual WASD layout. ;)

This new version is perfect. Thanks for sharing. It brings back many good memories. :)

Barney