Attack Force Duo

Community Forums/Showcase/Attack Force Duo

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've always wanted to make a low res game with some palette restrictions. This is for the compo at Shmup-Dev.

Still a WIP and hopefully not a RIP

Here are some screens: ( resizing has destroyed some pixel perfect art)

amonite(Posted 2006) [#2]
It looks good for a retro style shmup game :)

good luck for the compo !

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
yeah good luck. I'd like to play this when ready :-)

stayne(Posted 2006) [#4]
cool! needs scanlines ;)

deps(Posted 2006) [#5]
Looks great!
Make scanlines optional. :)

Matty(Posted 2006) [#6]
I prefer the second screenshot to the title page. The title page text slightly doesn't match with the text on the second screen. It's just my opinion though, and I don't know the limitations/restrictions of your competition so don't take it the wrong way. - I think it is that the color gradient uses too few colors (or the text is too tall), but that is probably what you have to work with

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks guys the title scren is a bit rough yet I'll add more colors as necessary. Does anyone know the colors for the old 16 color mode (4 bit methinks)? I would like to use that palette.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
Needs sid support.... ;))))))))))))))))))))))))

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#9]
That's too harsh for todays pin-sharp monitors - scan lines would definitely help.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#10]
what are scanlines just alpha black lines that darken everything, drawn every other line?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#11]
That's right - but scanlines give a textured look to graphics and therefore more detail and less harsh 'blocks of colour'.

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#12]
the 16 colors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter#The_CGA_color_palette

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#13]
Old School style games still freaking rock! My kids will even play some of the old
school type games, even though they have many of the latest games.

-Garrett

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#14]
I agree Garrett, I visted my wife's niece and nephew on holiday some time ago and they had the Lord of the Rings game which probably cost millions to develop - yet they spent most of the time on my little galaxian game!

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#15]
Ya i bought my gf a gamecube and several games and in the end, she plays only the old games collections (megaman, sonic, atari's, namco's etc)

and i have personally been playing subspace for 10+ yrs (its not that old school, but its still a 2d topview asteroid clone) and i like that better than any fancy 3d game.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#16]
I like the gfxs, scanlines or not!

@Steve:
That's probably because "EA" isn't your nickname and your games don't crash to desktop all time... ;)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#17]
Sorry to be OT, but if you're into retro shmups, give this a whirl:
http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/%7Eyosshin/my_works/index.html
Jap retro goodness. And free! ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#18]
:-D

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#19]
I've got sonic for the GC too and it's as good as the Megadrive original.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#20]
Sorry to be OT, but if you're into retro shmups, give this a whirl:
www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/%7Eyosshin/my_works/index.html
Jap retro goodness. And free! ;)

Heh actually, a MAJOR inspiration for this project I really liked that game alot.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#21]
Big10p, nice link, great game thz. But the sound is totally screwed up on my machine (Audigy2). The very first time I played it, it was fine, then ever since, it's been messed up badly :-( weird.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#22]
Please see if this runs on your system. This might introduce you to my game mechanic, you need only move the ships left and right. z and c move the blue ship, b and m move the red ship. I still need to make the ships move within boundaries and not cross the screen's center.

http://exoload.net/uploads/906/1158259674.zip (only 480 kb!)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#23]
I chromed up the lettering a bit.
Any better?

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#24]
The green letters are nice but the DUO is now not as easy to read as it was before. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#25]
the original was best imho.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#26]
"Attack Force" looks okay, as Foppy says "Duo" is a little hard to read.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#27]
Hmm I have alot of varying opinions, I'll work on the title then.

HUGE snakes