http://www.evildrbin.com/?p=128

any comments most welcome, thanks :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
screenies?

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
http://www.evildrbin.com/?attachment_id=126

Looks cute and Nintendo-like

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#4]
Very nice but got very stuck aster the first big jumpts where there is a warning sign. I justr cannot jump up the 2 brown platforms.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
cool, got to the end. The time flashed up but as I had the arrow kiy still pressed it disappeared. The brown platforms were a bit tricky. This early on in the game maybe they should be staggered?

Raz(Posted 2006) [#6]
cheers everyone, yeah ive had a quite a bit of feedback regarding that platform, noted and i wont be doing it in the full thing.

Granted it is a bit tricky, it doesnt reflect how difficult the levels will start out I just wanted to include a few situations to help unearth issues (namly the one above :)

Sorry regarding the timer, I just quickly threw something together so the player can measure how they get on. If the trigger appears, just stop and it will stay there until you go off to the right (and then fall off the screen, restarting the level)

thanks again

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think i found a bug:

In that part of the game where we have to jump far left to hit a 'bumper' to be sent right fast enough not to get pushed by the fans.

I did not try to hit the bumpers at first but tried to go 'normally', so i was pushed back. once i landed, i could no longer go right/left, just jump.

Raz(Posted 2006) [#8]
ooer wierd, ill look into that thank you

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#9]
Looking good, man. This looks like a game that will have a lot of personality.

SpaceAce

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#10]
I like the look of this - there aren't enough scrolling platformers around these days. Make it tricky so it's not just an arcade game but a puzzle game as well - you have to give it some thought to complete each level.

Anyway, off to download now...

Hmm, I said make it tricky - not frustrating! That idea of the 2 platforms directly above your head is too frustrating.

Apart from that - great stuff! I like the graphic style and the game moves very smoothly indeed.

Raz(Posted 2006) [#11]
cheers everyone :)

yeah that platform thing wont be included as a requirement to pass a level (though it will be there to access other parts)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
that platform thing was done quite early on in Turrican and it was hard then too!

Raz(Posted 2006) [#13]
im glad i let people try it first then! When you are the one testing it 20 times an hour while at the same time knowing the exact inner workings you tend to lose sight of how difficult something is. (I know that sounded really big headed, not intentional!)

Again, Im glad there was a reaction, gives me something to write for the report :)

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#14]
Uhh, maybe someone could consolidate these two threads together? I found another one of yours here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62335

Raz(Posted 2006) [#15]
well the last one is in the graphics showcase (and started ages ago i might add) I didnt really consider this a graphical thing so thought i should start a thread in the blitz showcase area.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#16]
Pretty nice graphics! What does DeFringe.exe do?

Raz(Posted 2006) [#17]
ack sorry, i forgot to remove that from the images directory. I was using it to 'defringe' some PNG's that were having dodgy results when rendered in Blitz.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#18]
That idea of the 2 platforms directly above your head is too frustrating.

Only because the ceiling is too elastic. If it absorbed some velocity, you'd have time to control where you land instead of just watching yourself bounce around erratically.

Gorgeous artwork style. I could learn a thing or two from trying to emulate your style.

Raz(Posted 2006) [#19]
octo, thats a really good point actually, ill give it a go, thank you :)

Glad you liked it