VERLET physics engine - Test6

Community Forums/Showcase/VERLET physics engine - Test6

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#1]
Thought I'd start a new thread on this .. the other one is getting a bit big!!

Previous Thread ..
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=61487

New version includes fixes to shadow issue , sound issue and a couple of other minor issued.

There is also a new vehicle .. a Humvee with machine gun. Not perfect yet but quite good fun I think. The bullets have quite a short range.

Still to do a bit of tweeking on weapon / armour balance for the deathmatch vehicles and try and get the objects to bounce more.

As mentioned helicopter is same as before .. don't have alot of free time on my hands these days :(

If you find any new bugs please let me know.

Screenie ..

Download ..[ ~ 4mb ]
http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/EngineTest6.zip

Cheers
Stevie

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#2]
I knew I could count on you! ;)

Testing... please stand by...

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#3]
Still as impressive as ever... I see another Battlefield or Call of Duty out of this.

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#4]
That is even better! Just a note for the battle cars(tank,helicopter,humvee(especially)): They need to take substantially less hits to be killed. The humvee seems to take even more hits to kill than the tank! It becomes boring just chasing around a single humvee in a tank, hitting it about 20 times, before it dies...

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#5]
What RAM said. Awesome! Encredible!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#6]
Can't tell exactly why, but I don't like the mg.

Knight Rider and Shark rule! :D

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#7]
WOOT!!! MACHINE GUNS!

but your not getting off the hook with just those, take out those anooying glitches in no shadows mode! i want to be able to play without anooying gray shapes everywhere.

Edit: Just tried out the machine guns, awsome but i think they should do a little bit more damage.

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#8]
I seriously want the 'engine' that 'drives' this thing! (No pun intended! ha + ha + ha) :)

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#9]
Wow! I just relized the anooying glitch on no shadow mode is gone!!!! AWSOOMEEE!!!!!!
;) lol

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#10]
Very cool , I like the mg.

But I think you should change the special ability of the monster truck, or atleast make the jump bigger, otherwise it doesnt really serve a good purpose

PGF(Posted 2006) [#11]
That is fantastic. Getting better and better.

The number of hits to kill seems too high now. It takes 20-30 direct tank rounds to kill a tank. Even helicopters and vans take a lot of damage before karking it.

The Humvee / Machine Gun is a nice addition. However it is near impossible to land a hit on a helicopter with this combo. The bullets fade out too fast for the long shots (like from a tank) and using the terrain to get the right angle doesn't work very well short range.

I understand that you have gun aiming with a joy stick ? How about mouse aiming for everybody who doesn't have one ? Drive via the arrow keys but elevation and tracking of the guns via mouse.

It would also be great to have a damage indicator for your vehicle and a score based on how much damage you have caused. Bonus if your shot kills a vehicle.

I'm really looking forward to further releases and the finished game.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#12]
I mentioned above that weapon damage / armour balancing is something I really need to work on so agree with all the comments so far. The machine gun does need to be able to elevate more to hit those copters too.

Agree also that the truck special action is a bit naff. I'll make it jump higher for now and think about a more useful ability.

I'll see what I can do regarding the mouse control .. should be easy enough to implement.

Give me a few days ...

Stevie

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hey, how about making it so pick-up trucks can pick up things like the mines or objects? Thatd be cool, I can see it now, high speed chase, the pick up truck drops a mine right behind it and booomm.... all over ;) lol

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#14]
any chance of split screen 2 player?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#15]
This was supported from the beginning Pete ;) See Setup.cfg file and change the players to 2.

Also, see controls @ top of previous thread. Also includes keyboard for player 2 further down the thread if you don't have a second analogue pad.

Stevie

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#16]
so cool. you ever played rock and roll racing on the snes?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#17]
No ... is it similar?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#18]
the game engine is complety different but play it on an emulator and you see what im getting at. would be a fun battle mode. this is great love the style and its great fun

this is rock and roll racing plays better than it looks. one of your maps reminded me of it and it also has hover craft later on when you buy new cars.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#19]
Yeah, almost like Twisted Metal again. Man, I love these types of games, better on a PC than a dumb 5 - 10 year old console, IMHO.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#20]
Racing Destruction Set on the C64 rules.... ;)

http://rds.planetflibble.com/#News

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#21]
Hey, really cool!
But it would be cooler if there was a splitscreen mode.
Only an idea, but if you'd like to do it would be nice.

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#22]
Not sure but I think you can change the config file to 2 player , and it goes split screen. I havn't tried this though.

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#23]
impressive..jst gets better every time - one thing is annoying
me though, ... FINISH IT! ;)

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#24]
wow! thanks