Feedback request: Starchon iteration 24!

Community Forums/Showcase/Feedback request: Starchon iteration 24!

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#1]
2006.8.26 - Starchon i23 Released!
Iteration 24 of Starchon is available for download

Summary:

Starchon is a cross between a shooter and a real-time stategy. You can't directly decide where to place your units or which sectors to attack. However, you have a lot of indirect influence over the outcome of the game. The game is real-time, so if you take to long in a sector, you will probably be overrun by the enemy in the adjacent sectors.

Please give the game a try, and offer your input, because the game play is still being shaped!

Known Issues:

- Some memory issues still exist.
- High Score functionality is offline at this time.

Screenshots:

Download:

www.FreelanceGames.com/bin/Starchon_i24_Setup.exe

Please select input device from the Option Menu (default Mouse).

Mouse Controls:

-Fire "selected" Energy Weapons - Left Mouse Button
-Fire "selected" Missile - Middle Mouse Button or Left Control Key.
-Thrust - Right Mouse Button or "W" key
-Direction - Mouse to Payers Avatar Vector
-Select Ice Blaster - "1" key
-Select Particle Blaster - "2" key
-Select Laser Blaster - "3" key (auto locks and only fires at Starship when in range; not the Sentinel)
-Select Particle Rail Gun - "4" key
-Select Sonic Blaster - "5" key
-Select Trident Missile - "6" key
-Select Carrier Killer Missile "7"
-Select Cluster Missile - "8" key
-Select Heat-Seeker Missile - "9" key
-Select Tactical Nuke - "0" key
-Toggle between Sector and Galaxy Map - Spacebar
-Enter Slipstream - Click a valid destination from the Galaxy Map

Keyboard Controls:

-Fire - Right Control Key
-Rotate Counter Clockwise - A or Left Arrow Key
-Rotate Clockwise - D or Right Arrow Key
-Thrust - W or Up Arrow Key

I would love some feedback on how to make the game better!:)

Thanks Everyone

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#2]
Looks like a game I played on my DS a few weeks ago...

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looking for people who consider themselves good at shooters to give the game a try and tell me if it is to hard.

Raz(Posted 2006) [#4]
wow, impressive stuff! :D

I think some sort of strafing would add to it. As it stands you have to make sure the enemy isnt facing you if you want to attack without getting hurt.

really cool though!

Jesse(Posted 2006) [#5]
Sean your game looks really cool... but I found it quite dull, I am not the greatest at playing shooters so my opinion need not be too important. This is what I concluded from playing it:
the first stage I had to wait about a minute for the baddies to come out. that is too much of a wait.
when I was in combat, by the time I was in battle with the third ship, I was out of my first weapon and was unaware. I thing the weapons should automatically be jumped to the next one as well as be given a choise of which weapons to choose. (this is a high tech game and needs high tech options. Ignore this if you want). there should be weapons ammo either scatter through the map or it should appear when a baddie is destroyed to compensate for ammo usage.

baddies take too long to be destroyed. I feel that in the first stages, when the player is getting used to the controlls, The baddies should be fairly easy to destroy.
as well as the player be given simpler weapons, like the first weapon(weapon 1) but that could destroy the enemies a lot easier. The baddies should, in the first stages at least, move at slower speed than the player not faster. I would like to see that when I thrust and let go of the button I can keep on moving at nearly the same speed.(This is outer space no gravity). That way I can travel in one direction and shoot and turn in any direction to shoot the baddies when they are chassing me.

for me what makes it fun is when they come and I destroy and destroy and destroy... and they keep on comming until I am overwhelmed. not when I have five ships in with in range and all are attacking me and I can't even destroy one with all of the bullets in one weapon. Those odds are highly possible but not the way I would like to commit suicide.

As I said before I am not that fascinated with shooters but I have played some really good shooting games that appealed to me. Don't get offended but as it stands this game to me is a 10 as candy for the eyes. but a 2 in fun factor. this game is one of those games I download, try and dump in my recycle bin.

I like your game and I feel that with the right balance of game play the game will have a lot of potential. If you are triyng to sell it consider making it fun for beginers as well as veterans of the genre.

Cheers :)

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks Jesse,

I focused two much on the 2nd and 3rd levels and not enough on the first level. Looking back, the first level is to hard. Also, many of you comments are on the mark. I've already started i25 and all the weapons will be re-balanced. You may want to give misson two or three a try; it is more of what you talking about.

One note, you can jump to other sectors and attack the ships; there is no need to wait. Just press the spacebar and select a stargate with enemies.

If you send me your email, I'll make sure you get the next release. Your imput is valuable. Lastly, I made the game much harder this time. This may have been a mistake; level one is really two hard now.

If interested, send your email to Sean.Doherty@...

Thanks