Blood And Plunder 2 Basic Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Blood And Plunder 2 Basic Demo

Matty(Posted 2006) [#1]
Good Evening All, or morning or whatever time it is wherever you are....

I thought I'd put together a very simple demo of the game I'm working on. It can be downloaded from here:

http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/BloodNPlunder2.zip

(10 MB)

Screenshots in other thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62505

Some explanation:

The demo contains a small map with treasure, goblins and a few other odds and ends as well as a single player character whose job it is to kill all the goblins and take all the treasure.

Controls are set currently to keyboard (although I prefer a game pad I know most people with PCs don't have one) using the cursor/arrow keys to move, and space bar to hit stuff (one of the problems with a keyboard though is ghosting occurs when more than 2 buttons are held down).

If you do have a game pad or joystick then simply follow the instructions in the inputmap.txt file in the same directory as the executable.

The level should finish and bring you back to the front screen after you either die or kill all the goblins and take all the treasure.

A lot of the stuff you see in this demo is a work in progress, there will eventually be music, more sound, nicer looking level backgrounds. (currently having issues with my renderer....)

Screen resolution is set to 800x600, which is what I recommend for this game, although it can be altered in the resolution.txt file.

While not in the version I've just uploaded, it is playable with upto 4 players on the same PC. I find it looks much nicer on a Television screen than a PC - the colours just look better.

The other characters, not in this version, are a barbarian (big slow, tough - likes to hit things), a mage (fast, weak, likes to zap things from a distance), the swordsman in this demo, an archer (very fast, fast shots, can't take too many hits).

Destroyer(Posted 2006) [#2]
That is fantastic Matty

Ran ok on my comp no probs at all. One small niggle about it(not that i could do any better lol) is that the main character seems a little to large for the level.

Other then that keep up the good work looks mint at the mo

Thanks
Destroyer

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
This does look quite exciting.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hi Destroyer - I agree that the main character is too large for the level, I forgot to double the height of the walls when rendering...

I will most likely add in multiple attack types at some point. Also if you've noticed the collisions are not 100% accurate that is mainly because I set the collision radius too small for the objects, and the scene collision image (collision.png) was drawn by hand..

Matty(Posted 2006) [#5]
New Level to play around with, better collisions in this one:

http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/AnotherLevel.zip

(1.1 MB download)

Destroyer(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thats spot on Matty.

I got killed after a few steps into the new level lol
damn those goblin hoards :)

Was the main title screen done with Poser aswell?

The more i see of this game the more i want to go out and buy Poser lol

Thanks
Destroyer

Matty(Posted 2006) [#7]
The title screen in the version you played was done in Poser. The main program I use is Poser (all character and item rendering done in poser), Gamespace (putting level together although I'm hoping to not use gamespace as its renderer is rubbish and it has a host of other problems and instabilities), and a few bits and pieces I've put together myself in b3d & blitzplus.

Poser is well worth it for 2d games - if you want to have animated people. I use Poser Artist which is version 4 (the cheaper version).

puki(Posted 2006) [#8]
Wait a minute!

So, these models in origin are 3D meshes?

SELL, SELL, SELL

I want then converted to .b3d if possible - if not .3ds is okay with me.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#9]
puki - very funny, you don't need me to sell them to you, you can buy them from Daz3d and a few other places..although aside from the legal issues poser meshes are too high poly anyway to be useful in real time 3d games...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
models look cool, font looks horrid ;-) I only tried your new level but just got defeated right at the start by the hoardes of monsters, oh well. Good luck with this. I think I tested B&P 1 a while ago.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#11]
This looks really cool. I think if you put in a Diablo style mouse control it would totally rock. The level graphics look great.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#12]
Nice work as always!