Knights!

Community Forums/Showcase/Knights!

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#1]
In an effort to get myself back into game making I decided to enter a little forum competition to make NES-like games (i.e. 3 colours per sprite and so on). I ended up drawing a load of castle-ish backgrounds and a little knight, so decided on a sort of Bubble Bobble game where you beat up little goblins who are stealing your gold and stuff. I've not started on the code yet because I haven't coded a platformer yet and I trying to get as much planning done as possible before getting a line of code down. Anyway, here's a little mock screen!

Does anyone have any tips for coding platformers?

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#2]
I love NES style games, yours is looking cool. I wish you the best of luck with it. Please post when it`s done, btw is there a closing date to this comp as I cannot seem to find one. Are you using MS Paint for the graphics just out of interest?

Jason.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks cool. Reminds me of an old 8-bit game with the knight and everything - the name of which escapes me.

[edit] Ah, Spellbound!

You just need to give each room a wacky name. :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#4]
My only Platformer Request is that it's abundantly clear which areas you can jump on (ie platforms), and which areas are just for decoration.

Nigh-on self-evident why that's handy, methinks. :o)

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#5]
@GfK: I think there was another Speccy game called KnightTyme which has kinda part-influenced the little character along with the black knight dude that appears sometimes in the Bomberman games.

@QuickSilva: I'm using GraphicsGale for the sprites and backgrounds, a kinda souped up version of MSPaint, made with game creation in mind.

@LineOf7s: Hopefully it'll be more obvious, I'll see when I get it in motion.. :P

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
Heh, kind of cutsie-looking - looking good

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#7]
Looking good!

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#8]
gfk - hmmm..that game looks like "finders keepers"..you
controlled a little knight + had to collect stuff...er..yeh, thats
about all i remember ;)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#9]
Looks very crisp and clean. Some folks would have blurred the hell out of the graphics by now. I prefer clean images, very well done. Your tecnique is spot on. Do yoy plan to work with all the limits of the nes or just three colors per sprite.

markcw(Posted 2006) [#10]
> Does anyone have any tips for coding platformers?

you could try looking at Wolron's Pitfall II source for tips.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1224

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#11]
@Defoc8: Finders Keepers! I remember that one! It was basically a maze game with moving enemies and Dizzy-esque proportions of collecting/trading items. Yeh, I think that's another one subliminally embedded in my unconscious.

@Ryan: I don't think I could handle with 'all' the limitations. The three colours per sprite thing is a good exercise though because it makes you appreciate how hard it is make a simple sprite look good. I'm trying to keep within the traditional NES palette as well so there may be some tweaking at a later date.

@muk: Cheers, I'm checking it out now.

keyboard(Posted 2006) [#12]
love the graphics, I always wondered what GraphicsGale was like, been meaning to try it out...

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#13]
Where is this forum competition at? I wouldnt mind jumping in for go...

keyboard(Posted 2006) [#14]
Does anyone have any tips for coding platformers?

CREDIT to ORIGINAL POSTER
dunno who they were, but this snippet was posted in these forums a while back...

hope it helps...

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#15]
Hehe, I only wish that I would've been that phenomenal.

*(Posted 2006) [#16]
I thought this was gonna be the amiga PD games Knights

markcw(Posted 2006) [#17]
nice example, keyboard. i think Amon is the original poster.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=26266

i tidied it up a bit. it now works in different resolutions.

keyboard(Posted 2006) [#18]

hmmm ;)

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#19]
I'm trying to keep within the traditional NES palette as well so there may be some tweaking at a later date.

Makes you kinda wish Blitz had a working 256-palette mode so you could do those little cool color-cycle effects they had back then running at full speed...

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#20]
keyboard (Posted 14 hours ago)

hmmm ;)

Uhh, what? :gulp:

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#21]
Ooh, I havn't played a platformer in a while! Sounds interesting, and good graphics!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#22]
good luck JimBob. I too played Spellbound (and another one) on the Spec/C64. There was a thread in General Discussion a while ago all about what elements would make a cool platform game, it may prove useful to you. Planning is good too, I made Iron Fist (incomplete kung fu platformer) as I went along, but luckily I'd made a lot of (incomplete) platformers in the past on BBC/spectrum/C64/Amiga/DOS. For modern platformers I was trying to get away from tile-based maps and have object-based levels instead so that everything didn't have that regular 32x32 look. Plus then you can move any objects you want and do other interesting stuff.

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#23]
This project is a kinda launchpad for a platformer I've been planning for years now (I've refrained from starting it as I've too many projects running already). For that reason, I'm keeping it simple so that I can get the basics right. It's a factor where I find many freeware platformers fail, the controls don't feel intuitive, and spend most of development trying to fit in features that bloat the gameplay and actually make it less fun. I've always had it mind to make a game like Bubble Bobble, but never had the idea that could carry the gameplay. I'll see if this works out, but I think I have the gameplay bases covered.

It's not a case of having multiple moves or moving platforms sometimes, it's about the fun you get from bashing a little goblin across the room into your friend just as he's about to collect some gold....

I'll try and find that thread though...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#24]
try my platformer Iron Fist here: http://www.greyaliengames.com/games.php if you get a chance :-) it was done in BPlus in 2005.

markcw(Posted 2006) [#25]
i couldn't resist searching for that thread. :)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=60961

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#26]
cool, cos I forgot...

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#27]
I've drawn a title screen in the absence of any real work on this project :P

The backgrounds a bit naff at the moment, but it's open to revision.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#28]
Haha, a lot like the old SNES games that I've used to play, this is gonna be great!