.Net DLL Converter

Community Forums/Showcase/.Net DLL Converter

Brandon(Posted 2006) [#1]
Virtual Dark Arts has released .Net Dll Converter v1.0. This program will convert a .Net dll made by you and allow you to use it in other programming languages such as Delphi, Blitz3D, DarkBasic Professional, etc.

Here's the website:
http://www.virtualdarkarts.com

and his email:
zkat8it@...

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
But you still need to install the .Net Framework to get it working :) No fanks :)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#3]
Sure you need the .NET runtime. But that shouldn't be a problem, should it. By the end of 06, all systems without it won't run many apps anymore anyway. WinXP SP2 users have it installed anyway (and the others better not connect to net for our security).

At least you are able to use them this way :-)
Thanks for mentioning that Brandon

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#4]
Sounds very interesting.

But you still need to install the .Net Framework to get it working :) No fanks :)

Reminds me when people complained about having to download/install DirectX to get their games to run.
The .NET framework is fast becoming an integral part of the OS and should not be an issue.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]

Damn, this means I need Windows too. And a PC. And electricity. And...

Doggie(Posted 2006) [#6]
Heh, I'm doing just fine with my abacus.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#7]

Sure you need the .NET runtime. But that shouldn't be a problem, should it. By the end of 06, all systems without it won't run many apps anymore anyway.

Sorry, this is just wrong. Have a look at the number of people still running Windows 98, ME, NT, and 2000. The numbers are posted on Indie Gamer from time to time.

Also, based on my experience the .Net framework and even DirectX 9 greatly increase the changes that your game will not work because of missing files.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
Win98, ME and NT are not officially supported anymore and don't get new drivers anymore as well (or don't get any anymore depending on the manufacturer). So I don't take those as alive.

Win2000 is a different thing but 2k users normally know what they should have installed and what not. And they as well should know that the refusal of .NET will take care that they will be restricted in what they can use and what not. (even now, some apps install DLLs that are normally part of .NET. Adobe's apps for example).

I don't see a reason trying to block it unless you are a Linux boy and just want to annoy windows user ... But Windows Programmers that don't see the point and power of .NET (especially 2 and 3 *formely known as WinFX*) shouldn't call themself programmers I think ... would be as if you took Apple away their plattform code lol ... (.NET is the new "WinAPI" ...)

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#9]
I'm not a Linux person. If you are doing an application, I would say proceed with .Net. However, for games, .Net is a bad choice and you will loss a lot of market right of the start. Also, games should be written for both the MAC and the PC to increase your market.

PS: I manage a .Net development team in my day job; so I'm not agaist .Net Applications.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#10]
By the end of 06, all systems without it won't run many apps anymore anyway
Then M$ have a major flaw in their business plan as do the developers assuming that people will have and want bloatly old .net

Win98, ME and NT are not officially supported anymore and don't get new drivers anymore as well (or don't get any anymore depending on the manufacturer). So I don't take those as alive.

Just because it's not supported don't go all dumb and assume nobody uses it.

Win2000 is a different thing but 2k users normally know what they should have installed and what not.
Why do they normally know what they have installed?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#11]
I'd be happy if MS was satisfied with their OS monopol and would not try to dictate every aspect of the PC industry, like killing Java and pulling out .NET.

For Blitz it is of course good to be able to use DLLs made with .NET. Although, as somebody said, a bad choice for a game that should work on a max of machines.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#12]
Just because it's not supported don't go all dumb and assume nobody uses it.

I think thats the idea though....by making obsolete older OSs and not supporting them, MS is essentially forcing consumers to go get their latest products or fall behind. It sucks but.....you either use it or you don't.

I know that there are numerous government sectors that still uses OS from the 90s, but most are aware of the up and comming inevitable changes and have begin budget plans for the upgrade changeover. The company I'm working for has already began refactoring older government web apps to the .net 2.0 platform for the ongoing BRAC project for the Navy and DOD. And I must say, .net 2.0 is quite better to work with than constantly debugging older .ASP and .PHP stuff.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#13]
Indie: Because most of Win2k users know how to setup systems. There aren't any "noob users" on Win2k as you won't be able to use it that good if you came from Win98 because it works differently with right management etc. (that was quite simplified for WinXP or just removed in Home).
And to me, an officially abandoned OS which does not get any support anymore is dead. Why? Systems that use those because they don't meet the min. req for XP don't qualify as target platform for BM anyway as their GPU just is too weak. BM does not optionally need 3D hardware support, it is the most important must have part (unlike the old Blitz)

Neuro: Yes you are right, there are gov etc that use old Windows version. But sorry, those aren't the regular target market for anything created with Blitz, are they?
Just because there is something, this does not mean much to "will they be interested". The same goes for BM games ... either you use OpenGL in which case most are out anyway or you use DX7 in which case most users that were forced to Win98 are out again as well as their GPU is too crappy for real 3D. So no mather how you see it, they are out until you switch back to Blitz Plus / Blitz3D. There is no way around and one of the major things BM users should perhaps start to realize.

Their games NEED a 3D cards, its no optional requirement as with BlitzPlus and Blitz3D.