Engine Lighting Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Engine Lighting Demo

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=28

Press "F" to turn on your flashlight.

Added new entity class "dynamiclight". These can be moved around, and can have an optional "style" parameter for a strobe (style=1) or pulsing (style=2) appearance. Speed will control the effect speed.

Corona entities can now have an optional "style" parameter for a strobe (style=1) or pulsing (style=2) appearance. Speed will control the effect speed. The appearance of the corona will match any dynamic light entities with the same settings, so you can link a corona and a dynamic light, as I have done here.

Added dynamic projected textures on models. Add a parameter "dynamicshadow=1" to enable shadows on any model.

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
Cool - I am getting graphical glitches though. - when shining the spotlight on the wall with the red light, the spotlight breaks up - the floor shadows also break up - a bit like a z-buffer type problem.

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
Also when shining the spotlight on the floor.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks. I should be able to fix it using glPolygonOffset.

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
I am using Radeon X800 XL.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#6]
Same problem as Puki on Radeon 9600 Pro.

Looks nice, though :)

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#7]
"application failed to start because openal32.dll was not found" ---?

*(Posted 2006) [#8]
you need the opengl dll's they should be available at www.opengl.org

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#9]
You mean www.openal.org.

I didn't realize the openal module initialized the dll even when no call was made.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#10]
Yeah, I'm using an ATI Mobility X300 on my notebook, so I guess that it's an ATI problem, more than likely, may have to test it on my desktop when I'm inside later on, at least my desktop uses an nVidia 6600, so that's a different card in itself, may wanna experiment there. Now that you heard from the ATI side, let's see what nVidia's cards will do for this engine of yours.

degac(Posted 2006) [#11]
AthlonX2 3800, 1 Gb Ram, GeForce 6600gt

It works perfectly.

My personal opinion/suggestion (not specifically related to this engine!): why while I'm getting closer to the light source, the corona becomes smaller? Doesnt' this is illogic?

Very good work!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#12]
works great... GeForce 6100...

and i must say, i think that you are approaching the whole engine thing from a very well organized perspective...

most of us don't realize that we're wasting a lot of our time messing around with various modellers and trying to get level geometry into a game engine or something we've written in a programming language, and expect it to look good or interact with the game environment...

sure, adding some peripheral geometry is fine, but i've come to the conclusion that the main level geometry should be integral to the engine, seeing as that's what will affect the way it looks in the game...

i think you're on the right track with your 3DWS based game engine...

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#13]
Red,

As we are all too familiar here:

Unique content is King

IPete2.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#14]
no doubt, content is at least a Prince... or even a Queen...

... BUT, THE ENGINE IS THE KING!!!

whether it be hand written (in Blitz3D), or store bought (TGE, Quake, whatever)... all the content in the world is nothing but pretty pictures without a good solid bit of code behind it.

--Mike

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#15]
Adding a control panel for easier access to all the settings. I'll just leave this in as a backup debugger, and you can write a GUI in script if you want something else:

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#16]
Lol - I don't want to hijack Josh's thread, see alternate thread...

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#17]
Pete, you obviously got up too early again.
Which thread?

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#18]
@Lead: So is there any reason why you can't supply this dll as part of the demo or package?

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#19]
Sorry John, here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62104

Back to Leadwerks engine demo:

This works really well on my aging Athlon 1900+ with Geforce 6600, the flashlight is a really neat feature to have as a developer, so it's great that - as a developer himself - Josh is thinking about what features we would want for our future projects.

I can see this becoming a really impressive engine, and along with 3DWS a very powerful independent game engine to be reckoned with.

IPete2.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#20]
and i must say, i think that you are approaching the whole engine thing from a very well organized perspective...

most of us don't realize that we're wasting a lot of our time messing around with various modellers and trying to get level geometry into a game engine or something we've written in a programming language, and expect it to look good or interact with the game environment...

sure, adding some peripheral geometry is fine, but i've come to the conclusion that the main level geometry should be integral to the engine, seeing as that's what will affect the way it looks in the game...

There are a lot of advantages to using brush geometry, with detail meshes placed throughout the scene. Dynamic lighting, portal occlusion, fast collision, etc. These are things you might not think about if you are just moving a few objects on the screen, but once you start building a more complex simulation, you will quickly run into a lot of brick walls, unless you have planned out the high-level systems from the beginning.

The flashlight isn't a specially programmed effect. It's just a standard projector that has been attached to the camera. You could just as easily place it on a car for headlights, or a spotlight that searches the area. It's the same object type as the projectors that make the dynamic model shadows.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#21]
my anti virus program found a virus on engine.exe!

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2006) [#22]
my anti virus program deleted engine.exe ... level 3 virus Oo

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#23]
now how do you explain that?
you are uploading a virus???

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#24]
Hmm, a virus game, well, watch how you code this bad boy next time, okay? Avoid any infected programs like these "viruses in disguise" like this. I know you were attempting for a legit program out of this, but just make sure that it's, uhh, well, I won't go any further, don't wanna be attacked about it.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#25]
It's not a virus. This is a known false-alarm. What is your antivirus program?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#26]
antivir

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#27]
anything that ends in ".exe" is a virus ;)