Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#1]
On to level 12! - 'The WasteRing North'

Basically the player's on foot, at the bottom of a very deep trench that also serves as a landfill. Something of a break from tank combat...

Here's a shot of a garbage scow dropping digital garbage

But a little further on, it's a different story (trees courtesy of BlitzTree3d)

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#2]
Cool... do you have a full story written out? You seem to have so many locations and small clues that would suggest that.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
Screenies look top, as always. Not too sure about the trees, though - I'd have to see them in action to decide (hint hint :).

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#4]
Mustang

'Cool... do you have a full story written out? '

Yes - but this game is going to have to be a two parter (else it'd be 30+ levels). The game will finish with a bang, but there will be a 'to be continued' message at the end. I know player's won't like that, but it's just the way it's got to be.

'Not too sure about the trees, though - I'd have to see them in action to decide (hint hint :). '

They don't look too bad in action - they sway in the breeze, there's a particle effect coming off them (seeds?), and the glow filter makes them nice to look at. Blitztree3d isn't a bad library. I think they work. There's also some sheep wandering around(not pictured);-)

As for another demo - I have tweaked the controls since the last demo - increased turret turn rate, decreased tankbase turn rate, increased tank speed and also the fire rate. I'm going to get rid of the power levels system - it's just not working. Also added a shield level indicator for targets under the crosshair. Will need to release another playtest demo at some stage. Will need your feedback on that Big10p...

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#5]
This looks interesting.

"Yes - but this game is going to have to be a two parter (else it'd be 30+ levels). The game will finish with a bang, but there will be a 'to be continued' message at the end. I know player's won't like that, but it's just the way it's got to be."

You might want to tell your audience in advance that it is a 2 part series. From a designer perspective... why would you do something in your game that you know in advance that players wouldn't like? Unless you're designing the game for you of course... but if you're designing the game to sell... then you're working for your audience.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#6]
You might want to tell your audience in advance that it is a 2 part series.'

I'll make it clear when the website goes up.

From a designer perspective... why would you do something in your game that you know in advance that players wouldn't like?

Because the alternative is to greatly truncate the story

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#7]
FPS appears a little low, is it capped at 30 or something, or were they taken from a lower-spec machine for optimization purposes?

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#8]
Genexi2

I had debug on, also Giles running in the background - so FPS was taking a hit. But the game is capped at 30fps as well.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2006) [#9]
28 is still usable but I suspect optimization will make that blaze!!! Dreamfilters will add a bit of a slowdown though (AFAIK!) Looks interesting...

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#10]
'Dreamfilters will add a bit of a slowdown'

Yeah - which is why a really nice Chrissy present would be for Blitz3d to have a super fast rendertotexture function (and no, I don't want to use Tom's dxtest.dll).