Another Tile Editor

Community Forums/Showcase/Another Tile Editor

po(Posted 2006) [#1]

Thanks to those that helped, but there's probably no point to continue with it because of the infinately better ones in the gallery and the news page. :)
Oh and the layers tabs are just for show at the moment. :)
And I must say I'm quite proud of the way I drew only the tiles that are on the screen. Took me a few hours of staring at the ceiling, but I managed to figure it out. :)
Oh, and you aren't limited to a certain size of tiles so it also makes it a good arkanoid editor.

Réno(Posted 2006) [#2]
Where can we download that ?

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#3]
I for one prefer a nice and simple editor like this one. I think you should continue with it. Any chance of a demo?

Jason.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#4]
looks good and a great accomplishment. Most folks would prefer to use something very simple than complicated....I think you finish it up...and post a demo!

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#5]
Don't worry about others, just keep on trying new things and program for personal enjoyment. Your program looks like it would still be usefull. If nothing else, you can claim that you did make an editor that worked.

po(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks guys, I suppose it is worth finishing off then, I just gotta finish the layers, and the saving (which should be easy enough) before I can realease it.

thalamus(Posted 2006) [#7]
I assume you're referring to FishEd; bear in mind that the project for me was an exercise in what I could accomplish, possibly more so than the end result.

Quitting projects half way through is no good for your morale or your coding stamina. Finish your project and be proud of what you achieve. :)

po(Posted 2006) [#8]
Ok, yeah, I'm going to finish it up.

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#9]
good work :]
- the more tools the better ;)

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#10]
Looks great, what's it written in?

po(Posted 2006) [#11]
Thanks, BlitzMax.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#12]
What's the 'hook' for using your editor?
Look at :
World Artist
FishEd
Mappy
Tilestudio
UME
and think where your's fits/competes.

po(Posted 2006) [#13]
Well, it doesn't compete with any of those products. In fact, mine is obsolete compared to them. However, mine is free :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#14]
Plus yours is written in BMax so it allows for some neat transparencies and other effects. I think you should take it in this direction to set it apart from the crowd.

Jason.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#15]
Very nice.

This would be great if you gave it some simple shortcuts to make it extremely efficient, and polished the features it has.

A simple way for you to improve the visuals of your editor is to get a XP manifest file. Search the forums for "manifest" and you'll find some info ;)

po(Posted 2006) [#16]
It's actually nearly finished :)
Its current 'features' are:
- Up to 10 layers
- Any size tiles will work
- Some simple shortcuts :)
- Fill/Clear a layer and add/delete layers
- Trasperancy effects

All I have to do is add opening functionality then it's done. I will of coarse fix bugs and add a feature or two once it's finished.
I would also release the source code, if my code were at all legible that is :)

WarpZone(Posted 2006) [#17]
Looking good! :)

I can't wait to try it!

Will it include an example BMX that loads and displays the tilemaps?

Good luck! :)

po(Posted 2006) [#18]
Warp: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=61805
I'll make an example as well soon.