VIDEO: More gameplay footage

Community Forums/Showcase/VIDEO: More gameplay footage

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is a short clip (2.8 meg) showing what happens when the player ends up beneath the business end of a falling crate:

VIDEO:Player vs falling crate

Here's the link to the previously posted video showing a tutorial level: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=61467

IKG(Posted 2006) [#2]
Wow, that's pretty cool.

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#3]
Very nice animations!

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#4]
Very nice. Very nice.

Is that how big it's going to be in the game though? I can see people having issues with not being able to see very much of the level as they're traipsing through it...

[edit] Actually, watching your previous video again, it's not nearly as much of an issue as it was with this one. Forget I said anything. [/edit]

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
Dustin,

Looking wonderful man! Can you give an eta for this game?

IPete2.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#6]
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vertex(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hehe, very nice!

big10p(Posted 2006) [#8]
Real nice. Why does he pat his stomach after falling over?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#9]
you've got a real winner here...

graphics and animation are AAA...

--Mike

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
yep looks top. Last game with player this big was Sword of Sodan wasn't it ;-)

Danny(Posted 2006) [#11]
compliments on the animation indeed! very cool!

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#12]
Really nice animation....game style reminds me of the old Xenophobe games from the 80s....

Last game with player this big was Sword of Sodan wasn't it ;-)

I always thought China Warrior for the TurboGrafx 16 had the hugest sprites ever. But I recal as a kid that Sword of Sodan was one of those games that creeped, yet intrigued me for being so graphic and bloody (especially for its time).......ahh the 16-bit memories.....

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#13]
Thanks guys, really kind words!

@Lineof7s - the player controls the zoom on the camera. So you can zoom in & out on the fly and be as close as this or back where you can see the whole level. I just zoomed in to show the anim sequence better. It's not really practical to play this zoomed in all the time but might come in handy when you're trying to navigate some pesky areas.

@IPete2 - I'm shooting for the next Game Developer Conference Indie competition. Which means that I have to have the beta done by September 8th and (if I get accepted) the game needs to be complete by March.

@big10p - You caught that! Sharp eyes. I'm trying to keep it 'non-violent' to keep the casual gamer crowd happy. So after he suffers some terrible fate he doesn't die. He just taps the disc on his belt and a computer voice says 'Reset' and he tries the level again.

@Grey Alien - SWORD OF SODAN!!!!! I lost *SO* many hours to that game on my old Amiga. I love the comparison. But as I mentioned above, the camera is dynamic and can be zoomed in and out on the fly by the player.

If I pull this off right, it'll be a solid balance between action and puzzle solving. The only major task left is adding animation to the Robots. Then I hope to post a compatability beta for you guys to test out for me.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
lol, of course your camera is so much better because in Sodan it was static. Another game with an (automatic) zooming camera (I think) is Viewtiful Joe which your character reminds me of for some reason...

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#15]
Looks great. I remember when you showed me the concept at the GDC. The animations and graphics really put a nice finish on a solid idea.

Because the graphics aren't terribly demanding, I suggest adding some kind of projected shadow of the player. It would really make a big difference.

Hopefully the editor is pretty solid. If you include a good editor, you can get quite a few levels made for free by your users.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#16]
Looks excellent. Lovely animation!

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#17]
OMG, looks so good! :D