Blokatak

Community Forums/Showcase/Blokatak

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]
A very early screen shot of our new game - Blokatak.

The object of the game is to knock the numbered blocks off the platform against the clock. Features real physics (Tokamak).

Full version coming soon!

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#2]
he he he - I wondered when someone would take advantage of this - great stuff.

Can't wait to see it and play it!

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
this looks rad, you must be pretty good at this 3D lark by now.

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
This looks interesting

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#5]
hmmmmm, looks oddly familiar ;-)

SSS(Posted 2006) [#6]
It looks very cool. I'd love to try it out!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
http://www.boiledsweets.com/Blokatak/bin/Blokatak0.01build5.zip

Here is an early tech demo, please don't report bugs, please do give contructive suggestions/ideas, many thanks.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#8]
No 800x600 mode - Boo! :P

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#9]
"COULD NOT LOAD PARTICLE TEXTURE: C:\Program Files\Candy Store V1.0\blokatak-rover media files\particles2.png"

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#10]
Sorry boiled, but I got the same "COULD NOT LOAD PART......".

I appreciate you didn't want bugs, but I think you may've wanted the first level to run ? It DOES look very appealing ...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#11]
Sorry guys - try it again.

It's not like me to make such a silly mistake. Sorted now.

big10p - I might support 800*600 mode - at the mo it's just 1024*768*16.

Please note this version has a work in progress particle effect in it - it's not finished yet - just ignore it.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#12]
It's ok. Reminds me of that game with the chicken with the rocket launcher, whose name I can't remember. Anyway, the idea was the same, you had to knock down all the blocks in the least number of shots, with bonuses for bouncing off walls and things.

As for this game, it seems a like a 3d snooker, but with cubes, which stack well but don't bounce predictably. I'm not sure how I'd change it, but it didn't seem like there was a huge amount of skill or strategy involved, because the behaviour of bouncing cubes isn't easy to map out in your head.

Nice polish and stuff, though.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#13]
I'm thinking I need to add more to this basic idea. I'm working on a roving bot - if it hits one of the blocks then it resets it back to its original position.

But I'm thinking perhaps a more kind of platform arrangement is in order so you have to find the blocks then get them off. But I want to stick to the current basic idea - just need more gameplay...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
Just wondering what peoples opinions were regarding this game in terms of is it worth continuing to develop it or is it too basic/boring.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#15]
It's up to you of course. It did get boring fast but I think that's do to the slow paced point hold release strategy. Maybe if there were less than 9 blocks (at first) to make the level go by quicker... also add some enemies or obstacles (like a lightning effect that turns on and off at a set pace and will blow up the block if it hits it) The timer should really be prominent and go faster than it currently does to increase the pace. There are plenty of tweaks that could start making this game interesting.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#16]
<edit>

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#17]
????