Rocky the Monkey prerelease

Community Forums/Showcase/Rocky the Monkey prerelease

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, i finished my new blitzmax game, please try it out a bit before I release it :)

http://www.ragdollsoft.com/rocky3.zip

Thanks!

Matteo

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Its next to impossible to control and completely frustrating. I couldn't be bothered any more after five minutes.

You might want to make your front-end more user-friendly, too. I.e. "Fullscreen: 0" is going to mean nothing to a lot of people.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
Woah! This is running way too fast on my machine. Practice level lasts about 10 seconds. Playing the game and the water level just shoots up the screen.

I find the rapidly flashing colours on the frontend text really annoying, especially when trying to read the help text. Maybe it isn't supposed to be flashing this fast, related to the speed issue I'm having with the game? Otherwise, I'd slow it down considerably - I value my eyesight! ;)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
Sounds like you've got vSync disabled in your graphics card settings and the game is relying on that for timing...

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#5]
oh sorry there must be synching problems...
Will post again when i fix it

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
My vsync is 'application controlled'. Is this a problem?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#7]
Same as GFK - its too frustrating. You've got a good solid engine there but you need to work on gameplay.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#8]
this works entirely as I don't expect it to. There's no pendulum motion on the rope, so it's really difficult to get it going where you want it to.

...after playing it a bit, it's an alright game, but nothing I'd pay for. Maybe if the rope was just a straight rod so you swing more nicely it'd be more fun.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
IT's just too difficult to control :(

Bouncer(Posted 2006) [#10]
I agree with the above comments... I couldn't get anywhere from the starting position. My best was 5ft.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#11]

Its next to impossible to control and completely frustrating. I couldn't be bothered any more after five minutes.

I AGREE!

big10p(Posted 2006) [#12]
It's a pity coz monkey games can't fail! :)

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#13]
Thanks for the comments, looks like this needs a tutorial or something, because it' certainly not impossible with a bit of practice.

Did you guys use the wasd keys? You can move the monkey with those, its certainly not impossible once you get the hang of it :(

I'll post a video :(

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#14]
a 2MB video can be found at

http://www.ragdollsoft.com/movie.wmv

a trick is to use tue "up" (w) key while swinging, so to shorten the rope and increse speed.

Let me know if any of you manages to get the hang of it.

Thanks!

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#15]
Najdorf, if you have many consistent criticisms then, rather than implying that people don't understand how to play your game, you might consider that they're making valid points. Negative criticisms can sting, but they're far more useful than praise.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#16]
Fix the vsync problem, then I'll judge. :)

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#17]
Najdorf, if you have many consistent criticisms then, rather than implying that people don't understand how to play your game, you might consider that they're making valid points. Negative criticisms can sting, but they're far more useful than praise.

Yeah, of course the fact that 7 out of 7 think it's impossible makes me worry.

Curtastic(Posted 2006) [#18]
I got to 70 feet on easy. I felt annoying but I did it. It was really hard to get some momentum to acutually move upward when i'm just hanging. I think you should change the controls so instead of holding the arrow keys, you just tap them for sudden bursts of movement

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#19]
najdorf - I worked out I had to do the up/down stuff to propel myself, but that really isn't how a rope should work. You should swing yourself up. Anyway, this game needs some powerups or something, to add some variety to the gameplay.

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#20]
Woo 70 feet curtastic, great job!

I understand what you mean warpy, it's more up-down than left-right. i.e. the rope is more a rubber band than a rope. That's mainly due to technical problems for which i having problems to keep the rope from extending :/

Call it a rubber band and you're all set! :D

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#21]
For big10p and others for which it ran too fast i've uploaded a fixed version.

Same link:

http://www.ragdollsoft.com/rocky3.zip

Cheers,

Matteo

big10p(Posted 2006) [#22]
Cheers, I'll check it out later. I'm a bit busy at the mo. :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2006) [#23]
I tried the fixed version. I think it could be really good, but it's just way too hard, and on the default Medium setting the water rises way too fast.

It's hard to figure out how to get momentum up if you're attached to a ball and need to swing fast to reach another one.

I do like the overall look of it, though, and the basic idea.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#24]
OK, it's better now the speed issue is fixed, but - like others have said - I find it way too hard to play/control. Frustrating.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#25]
holy crap....this game reminds of the concept of another blitzplus game made a while back (which in turn was a remake of a java game)....but damm this was way harder....

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#26]
Great Game. I got to 102ft in practice before it made me stop then 91ft in meduim. It was fun.

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#27]

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#28]
I made an in-game tutorial and made the game free :) (ooh!)

Rck(Posted 2006) [#29]
Plays nicely, reminds me of the joy of the spiderman game, but requires more skill! Surely an advanced game in terms of control difficulty. Something to think about.

SSS(Posted 2006) [#30]
I really liked it. I don't know why people are saying it's too hard. During my first try on "Medium" mode I got to 156ft. Good Job!

Pragun(Posted 2006) [#31]
holy crap....this game reminds of the concept of another blitzplus game made a while back (which in turn was a remake of a java game)....but damm this was way harder....

It was called something redux. I played it a couple of times, it was tons of fun..

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#32]
wire hang redux ;)

AlexO(Posted 2006) [#33]
w0ot 210 ft! Fun game. While I will agree the controls were akward to get use for 'pick-up-and-play' gameplay, but they are no where near "impossible" like several people seem to think. While it doesn't seem to behave like I'd think a rope would I never questioned the fact that it might not be a rope in the first place :0. It's a game mechanic, that's all. idk, I tend to enjoy challenging skill-based games whereas most everyone else likes easy/instant-gratification :\.

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#34]
idk ?

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#35]
This (1mb exe) is how I think this game should work. Keys left-to-right to swing, up or down to adjust rope. Click to shoot tail / detach.

Najdorf(Posted 2006) [#36]
Well yeah that's another control system. As an old zen master could say, "There's nothing as "how a game should work", just how different games work".

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#37]
Some people come off as being really harsh, I dont think they actually mean to be like that its more like they see the potential for a nice adictive little game and they wana see it finished.

For a start, the control system isnt all that bad, it takes a few go's to get it right, but what really hurts it, isnt the controls its the fact that you cant see enough of the level to plan your moves, so most people above probably spent a lot of time slamming into balls instead of swinging through the tree's like they should.

Increase the view area by about double the size, Try not to clump up balls so close to the start so people can get the hang of the system before they get shoved into anythign to tricky.

I think you have something really good here, stick with is and take on board what others have said, that does not mean you need to do what they say, just be aware of it.

Good luck. and very nice game idea.

Jason W.(Posted 2006) [#38]
Fun game...a tad hard to control, but could be mastered with some time. I love the physics, funny, and the music fits.

The rope thing reminds me of the Atari 2600 version of Spiderman. That was very hard at first too....I think you did a great job Matteo!!

Jason

Madcap13(Posted 2006) [#39]
The main problem for me is just that the mouse pointer disappeared in full screen mode and that in windowed mode, the mouse pointers accuracy depended on how far the top left corner was away from the top left corner of the screen. But besides that, it's strangely fun.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#40]
Warpy is correct! thats how the movement should be. You could infact get away with making it all keyboard controlled.. much like worms does the rope.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#41]
apart from the aiming...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#42]
I agree with Yavin on the it'd be nice to see further up the screen issue.

Very nice smooth graphics.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#43]
I used to play worms armageddon on a "shoppa" mode hours a day. It was purely based on having skills with the rope swing. That relied on timing your rope throws. no mouse aiming at all.

Vertex(Posted 2006) [#44]
I love it!

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#45]
If this game is meant to sell then the controls need to be addressed (or at least have a tutorial teach you how to play)... otherwise... you probably only have a few minutes before the players closes the game out and doesn't make the purchase.

I tried the game without reading the instructions at first (which I'd think most people will) and almost closed it out after a few minutes of trying but then gave the instructions a try.... tried again... and gave up after a bit because it's too hard to even see any type of progress, and even if the player did progress, what's the reward? More banannas?

I think you have an interesting prototype here but it needs a good bit of polishing. Mainly some control work and some tips while playing or an interactive tutorial that moves on after you complete each goal. There also has to be some sort of 'advancement' for getting to the top and maybe moving on to another level.

If you did this as an experiment or just for fun then none of this is really relevant unless you want to take it to the next level.