Nuclear Reactor Simulator

Community Forums/Showcase/Nuclear Reactor Simulator

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://dylanmccall.googlepages.com/NuclearReactorSim.exe (696 kB)
http://dylanmccall.googlepages.com/NuclearReactorSim.zip (777 kB)
This is a Monte-Carlo style (fancy word for fake) simulation that I wrote a while ago with Blitz3d and WinBlitz3d.

Here is a screenshot, showing a stable chain reaction:

The simulator gives a basic overview of the fundamental concepts behind a nuclear reactor core including some ways that reactions can be manipulated to avoid them going out of control.

The program uses a somewhat flexible scene modelling language which shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you want to design your own nuclear reactor core. (I don't trust it, but that's probably because I wrote it).
Remember: It's fake and unrealistic :P

Hope you like it!

Source code is available if you want; Just email me.

Edit:
Source code now available in the package.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#2]
Very funny ! :) it's the first time that i understand how
work a nuclear reactor ! :)

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#3]
What is the safety procedure in the unlikely event of a CPU meltdown?

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
Oooh.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
When I was a kid, I went on a science trip to Hinkley Point (Nuclear power station) and we were walking through this room full of flashing lights etc all around us and they said it ws the computer that controlled the reactor. Fair enough I said, how much memory does it have? 64K. I was gobsmacked, I had a C64 at the time and was a bit worried that a computer the size of a house was running a nuclear reactor. Must have been valve driven and had reel to reel.

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#6]
This reminds me of the Three Mile Island game for the Apple II. It was quite a qood game then...

Barney

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#7]
[Edit: Moved screenshot to top. Sorry if this post no longer makes sense]

Sorry about the misjudged screen size; I had to take a random guess to get what I wanted because I didn't feel like an arbitrary seeming solution where I ask Windows how much space its window decorations are taking up.
(And I forgot to test it at 800x600 resolution).

Thanks for the comments!
Yes, it's childishly simple, really.
Strange, considering how big of a thing nuclear energy is. I was afraid that I had missed something, but apparently I did not. (Except for cooling stuff, as this simulation doesn't simulate meltdowns).

Edit: Very important update uploaded, fixing the excessively wide label for the Height textbox seen in that screenshot :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
Edit: Very important update uploaded, fixing the excessively wide label for the Height textbox seen in that screenshot :P
I can't believe you released this with such a glaring problem as that. Thank god it's fixed now or your credibility would go right down.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#9]
yeah... not to mention the potential for a nuclear meltdown... my god, how irresponsible!!!

:)

GA... you'd be surprised at the power of the onboard computer that the Apollo moon ship that landed a man on the moon had when compared to your C64...

--Mike

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#10]
C64 was prolly more powerful.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hell yeah of course it was as the C64 was 1982 and the moohn landing was 1969.