DRAGON SHMUP-DEV Competition Ends

Community Forums/Showcase/DRAGON SHMUP-DEV Competition Ends

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://www.shmup-dev.com/forum/index.php?board=33.0

Well, the Dragon SHMUP Competition is officially over, and we have about 10 entires for you to try out! I will have an official competition page designed and made up within a few weeks.

This competition didn't bring in as many entries as I'd hoped for (especially since we had over 30 registrants) but all in all I still think it was really great!

We are also gearing up for our third competition, so if you have any good ideas please do share :)

Thanks!!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
Cool. I was tempted to enter one of your compos but when I heard it was a dragon one, it sorta put me off a bit. This may have happened to others. It just wasn't my scene + maybe harder to make decent? So ideas for a new one?

Well just another straight shooter could be cool, maybe specify vertical only.

Or a multi-directional scroller with rotating ship?

Or a space invader/galaxians type game?

A Cybernoid (flip screen or just exploring) type game.

A boss-only shooter.

One that plays itself?

Turn-based lol.

Ikari Warriors/Commando style (i.e. men not spacehships)

Um, that's it for now.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#3]
Sweet! Thanks, I agree with you about that with the dragon thing. I'm really looking forward to our next competition, as it's going to be a community picked theme!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
sounds like a good idea. If the community chooses it's fav topic then you'll more entries, traffic, revenue etc :-)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yah I was put off by the dragon theme, not because fantasy type stuff is not an area of interest but because it was too narrow and limited. It seemed you'd have to narrow everything down to squeeze into that definition rather than it giving you creative options.

I agree with Grey Alien. .... probably an interesting compo would be like a galaga game or something.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#6]
Well I would puke if I see another 80's uninspired clone game.
I just say set a shmup sub-genre and leave the theme open.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yah I was put off by the dragon theme, not because fantasy type stuff is not an area of interest but because it was too narrow and limited. It seemed you'd have to narrow everything down to squeeze into that definition rather than it giving you creative options.
Not sure I agree with that, TBH. I just think you need to use your imagination more. :) I bet if this theme was set in a Japanese programming community... ah, nevermind.