New Dune 2 clone

Community Forums/Showcase/New Dune 2 clone

Drackbolt(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello all,
Just wanted to let everybody know I just completed a major release of Dune 2: The Sleeper Has Awakened, written entirely in Blitz3d. Please check it out:
http://dune2.workpad.com

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
Heh, this is really recognisable as Dune - brings back memories of the Amiga version. I used to love playing this.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#3]
Do you have multiple unit selection? Man that was painful.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
Was dune a predecessor to C&C or did it come afterwards?

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
I thought it came before.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#6]
it was the first of the rts's
it's what spawned C&C.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
DUNE 2 was a classic. It was the first RTS, BUT, if you played as anyone but the harconiens(sic) you got Two nuclear bombs falling on you every 5 mins in the last level

Chad(Posted 2006) [#8]
This is great!

Anyone want to play me? Lets set up a time and date and play.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#9]
Really great idea. :)

What I dislike from the first look:

Could you please convert the tons of bmps to png (256, 16 colors where possible)?

The interface eats up too much space of the screen.
Could you streamline it. Especially you could get rid of the top menu bar! Waste of space!

Could you enable image filtering as option?

Try finding a better free webhost.

Koriolis(Posted 2006) [#10]
Cool, I just loved Dune 2. Spent hours on it back in the days. Doh, feeling old...

Matty(Posted 2006) [#11]
How do you view the screenshots - I keep getting a message with a link back to the screenshots when I click on them?

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#12]
Actually, wasn't there a turn-based strategy on this franchise, as well? It's one game that may prove to be superior in both aspects of a game like this to have both RTS and TBS elements thrown right into it...

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#13]
It wasn't the first RTS, just the first widely known. ;)

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#14]
This is sweet..er..only multi-player :/ - now i have to wait
for zenny to appear on irc so i can beat the bejebus outa
him..with some spice havesting badass firepower..or maybe
ill jst run him over :]

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#15]
nice remake but wasnt dune 2000 a really good remake anyway?

Pete

Drackbolt(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks everybody!

Dune 2000 was not a remake, it was a C&C clone, and it sucked all manner of vile things.

If you want to get used to the interface, you can host a game and play by yourself, but there is no single-player campaign and there never will be.

You can select multiple units by clicking on them (cancel your selection by right-clicking). My interface is different from most RTS games but after you get used to it it's very efficient.

Why would I convert the images? PNGs get uncompressed back into BMPs the moment they get loaded in memory anyway.

I admit the web site is a bit slow, but I was already invested in it and I don't want to redo everything.

The menu bars will not change. If I showed any more of the screen at once it would start to bog down computers.

Can't use image filtering because, although it was written in Blitz3d, it turned out to be much faster on most computers if it was all controlled in 2d, which I opted for.

Now anyone can have nukes (and Sardaukar) if they ally with House Corrino. :0)

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#17]
Because PNGs are efficient for storage, saves you bandwidth, and saves people from waiting longer for it to download. BMP is dead as a storage medium. :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#18]
As Zenith.

See the "Granada Racer" topic eg. The installer with low-res textures was 160MB with high-res textures was around 250 MB.

After converting some images to proper png/jpg it was around 85 MB with high-res textures.

Imho it's just stupid to use bmp nowaddays as image format, especially on websites!

If you code on a game for years, you should be able to invest 10 minutes optimising your media and cleaning the filenames.
If you fear the additional work, there isn't much as you can leave the file extension. Just save a png/jpg with bmp extension and they still will load up.

Drackbolt(Posted 2006) [#19]
Too bad for your insightful remarks that the game is downloadable as a compressed exe installer, which saves all the same bandwidth. It's one file at 1.8 megs. Want to go back to what you were doing before now?

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#20]
Yes, it may be compressed, but not once you install it, then its fat again and wasting my hard drive space with bloat.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#21]
Zenith, instal it into a compressed folder if it bothers you that much

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#22]
It doesn't, I'm just ranting :D

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#23]
I really dislike people attitude to system resources.

Like: I'm on 5Mbit cable here, my pc has 400 gb hdds, 3 GB Ra and a 6 GHZ CPU - So I don't care if I waste your resources.

Wait for Windows Vista and you'll have what your're after.

gosse(Posted 2006) [#24]
Ohhh very nice!
But.. I wasn't able to exit it except by killing the process.

Drackbolt(Posted 2006) [#25]
Control-X exits the game, like it says on the web site.

Dislike what you want. I don't know anyone who can't afford an uncompressed size of 11 megs. So, if it's alright with you, I'll leave my files as bmps, since they were easier for me to edit that way (especially with cut & paste operations, which is how I had to get some graphics from the original).