Thrust Extreme

Community Forums/Showcase/Thrust Extreme

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi All

After my Geometry Wars game (Grid Assault), I wanted to re-visit my favourite classic from the 80's: Thrust. I already made Thrust Deluxe in 2001, but now it's time for the Extreme Edition

Using the same bmax engine I used for Grid Assault, I am quite pleased with the look of the new game. It's all vector graphics, which will be used to the max in this new game. The first levels will be like the original (or maybe I will let the player select 'classic' or 'extreme') and the later levels will be full of new gameplay features, as well as revamped Thrust Deluxe additions.

I'm planning new features like:

* rotating levels
* rotating parts of levels
* moveable (dragge-able) parts of levels
* tanks
* lasers
* proximity mines
* drafty tunnels
* destroyable walls
* (rotating) asteroid fields

Most of these will make it into the game, but the list is not yet final... these features are relatively easy to add to the game though, so expect to see them all. Also planned (and already fully functional) is a object and level editor, which you can use to create custom levels and objects (heh). The editor is very intuitive already, letting you drop, select, scale, and edit worlds. These worlds can be added to the playlist (a simple text file) which you can edit to create your custom order of worlds. I'm planning more stuff but that is all i can tell for now. I'm not sure if the tools will ship with the game yet though.

There is no demo yet, but once I have the game running (gotta clean up some annoying little things) at my quality standards I will post a '6 classic levels' demo, to get some real-world feedback.
I'll also be looking for someone who can test the tools for me, and to create some levels which may make it into the game if they are cool enough =) The idea is that the world is also a vector object, which you create and edit in the object editor. After that, you import it into the world and add childobjects to it.

We'll see it when we get there though. For now, my focus is on the game and the classic
levels.

Click on these to see larger images:

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
Man that looks so good I could just eat it.

Glowing Lines?

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#3]
As glowing as they can get :)

How do I create thumbnail links to images?? I can link to the large versions.

[edit]nm, you can click on the images now!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#4]
THIS LOOKS AWESOME!

HappyCat(Posted 2006) [#5]
Oh yummie! Looking forward to this one :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
groovy choovy, I'll play this for sure. Hey also how about flying enemies too, or were the in the original? Hey can you sell this if you call it thrust extreme or are you not planning to?

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#7]
holy bejeesus, that looks fun!

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#8]
This has a strong resemblance to the insanely difficult Solar Jetmen for the NES. Is this going to have simular gameplay?

puki(Posted 2006) [#9]
Interesting - not my type of game, but still interesting.

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#10]
Looks fantastic.

Had many happy hours playing Thrust when i should have been out chasing girls - hang on - wait - that didn't come out right - oh nevermind you know what i meant....

I notice in the level editor screen you have a gravity pull down set to 'centre'.
Does this mean you can create a 'rock' that you can fly all the way around (i.e. like in orbit sort of ?)

I remember the original (or a least the version i played) reversed the gravity after you played though the early levels.

Love the look, can't wait for the demo.

Mark

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#11]
Nothing less than I expected... :)

Will the level editor be included?
So people can send in their own levels?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#12]
Get this on Arcade in a Box NOW!

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#13]
Looks great. I've played the delux version quite a bit so looking forward to this. How long for the demo?

Stevie

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#14]
Looks awesome, but that score bar seems a bit out of place.
The rotation thing should allow for some very interesting levels I hope :)

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#15]
Looks like another winner!

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#16]
I want it! In a box!

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#17]
How about in an Arcade-In-A-Box :).

Wiebo, please consider making the controls arcade cabinet friendly as well while you are programming :). I think it would be a great addition to iretrogames.com as long as a great addition to my Arcade Boxes. I like to make games that are a 5 cabinet rating availabe upon purchase of an arcade box.

Oldtimefun(Posted 2006) [#18]
Thrust was a great game, used to play it on an Amstrad cpc464.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#19]
It looks really nice, especially that it doesn't have the repetitious look of tile engines, and also has nice angles and rotated parts, it looks much more natural. I also like the multiple different colors for the lines.

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#20]
niCE :] - love how it looks..all glowy n liney..and..er..stuff :]

Big&(Posted 2006) [#21]
This looks ace fella! Definitely one I am going to keep my eye on :)

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#22]
Thanks for the positive replies guys, it motivates me to make it really great.

Grey Alien: I've been thinking about flying enemies. It would be cool to have some flying saucers and stuff...

Ryan: I'm not familiar with Solar Jetman so I cannot tell if it has similar gameplay.

Mark: Yes, the Center gravity option will pull you to the center of the world and it's intended for asteroid worlds and asteroid fields. I have to implement an area of effect for the gravitation so I can have asteroid fields in gravity and friction free space 'worlds'. Should be fun.
Reverse gravity is also used in this game, and it's as easy as reversing the gravity vector.

Grisu: I'm not sure if the editor will be included in the demo version.

Indie: NOW is too soon I'm afraid =]

Stevie G: The demo will be out when i've fixed the last minor issues and completed the first 6 levels. Working on that now.

Jimbob: I will add the option of a 'minimalist' hud. Rotating worlds are fun, but man, are they hard =]

ArcadEd: How would I make the controls 'arcade-friendly' ??

oldtimefun: I'm a C64 kid, so that's where I played it on. I recently tried the Vectrex version someone made and that was cool too. I've never seen the CPC version, but it should be about the same.

AngelDaniel: Yes, that's what I like about it too. Takes more time to create levels though =]

Thanks for the comments guys, keep em coming, decent suggestions are appreciated!

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#23]
A few ideas ....

How about the ability to morph your ship based on a a power up of sorts. For example ... on one level there is a small gap which your current ship cannot pass ... get the slimline pickup and your ship shrinks on the x axis and with careful manoovering you can slip through.

Rotating tractor beams on the surface which pull you in or push you away.

The ability to land with simple effects like landing gears coming down.

Rather than just picking up the pod ... how about mixing in some features of oids ... e.g. pick up some guys and take them to safety or pick up a package and deliver it to somewhere or collect meteors etc... You could have the weight of the ship affected by the cargo etc..

A last level boss where the entire landscape represents some form of mothership .. with death star style canyon, gun turrets ... allied ships assisting etc... Maybe a bit oTT ;)

Stevie

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#24]
I had a look at this before and thought "Wow, cool - up to Wiebo's usual high standards", but I gotta chime in and say that the more I look at those screenies, the better it's looking!

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#25]
Stevie G: I've had guys to pickup in Thrust Deluxe, and they'll probably end up in this game as well.
Push-away installations on the planet surface sound like fun. I've added it to the ideas-list.
I've been thinking of landing. We'll see
Picking up other stuff: picking up boxes or weights to destroy structures has been an idea, but nothing has been decided.
I have some ideas for the last level, don't worry =]

LineOf7s: "Wow, cool - up to Wiebo's usual high standards" < Wha? =] Thanks!

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#26]
you could land and do a simple platform bit like in atari's old game major havok.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#27]
nooo, no platform stuff, sorry

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#28]
Classic Levels are done. Here are two of em (I think they are level 5 and 6)

Still working on the little bugs in the game, but overall it's coming along pretty good, I really like the way it plays.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#29]
Looking good. This game reminds me of several other games along these lines, including Exile, and an Amiga game called The Executioner which was a somewhat hard and slightly dull version. I like the graphical style of your version.

An idea...since your lines glow, which implies energy radiation, how about running pulses or ripples of electrical current around them from time to time? Or just having electrical barriers etc?

Also, will there be a mac version?

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#30]
Wow this looks soo veryyyyy sliiiiiiccck!!! Nice job!

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#31]
Angedaniel: I don't have a Mac, but we'll see if there are volunteers to compile it once I am done with the PC version.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#32]
This looks yummy.

/me licks lips

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#33]
All I can say is *WOW*! Nice work man.

joncom2000(Posted 2006) [#34]
I use to play the original on a BBC Model-B in school, your Thrust deluxe is imho the best conversion there is and I look forward to see the new version :)

RexRhino(Posted 2006) [#35]
How do you get that glowing vector look?

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#36]
Would love to tinker around with yer tools if you release them with the demo, I quite liked the original game, and the whole rotation thing makes the whole thing reappealing to me...

One thing though, are you able to create "solid" portions of level, or is it all outlined only?

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#37]
joncom2000: This one should be better than deluxe. Depnds on what you define as better ofcourse, but I already like the way it plays. It's more 'slick' than Thrust Deluxe already.

RexRhino: I use the texuredpoly module by indiepath

Genexi2: I think I will release the tools with the demo.
Everything is outlined only, so there is no need to define solid portions. All you do is draw the lines in the object editor, and load that object as your world in the world editor. After that, you add child-objects to the world.

I am thinking of ways to liven up the 'solid' parts of the level though. As I don't draw the stars anymore when you enter the cave, the screen is a bit empty. Its not too bad, and you don't really notice it when you are playing (there is no time really to look at other things) but screenshots etc look a little bland because of all the empty space. It DOES add to the solitude atmosphere though. Oh well, there is enough time to tinker around with that.

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#38]
My friend is slavering over this. Actually, me too.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#39]
I am thinking of ways to liven up the 'solid' parts of the level though.

What's the chance of a very subtle particle effect that occurs only within the solid portions doing the trick?

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#40]
Genexi2, that might be it. Maybe I can add particle emitters 'outside' the level and let those generate subtle particles, which die when they hit a line... I can add the emitters to the level editor for precise placement...

You know, the main problem is that there is not inside or outside, just lines. So I cannot define an outside. But with placing a grid of particle emitters on the 'other' side of the lines, I might get an interesting effect.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#41]
Looks good!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#42]
Does Thrust Extreme support higher-res such as 1280x1024?

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#43]
Does Thrust Extreme support higher-res such as 1280x1024?
If you click the thumbnails, you'd see the shots were captured @ 1280x1024.

You know, the main problem is that there is not inside or outside, just lines.

That's how I figured it was, and was worried that may cause some confusion on the player-end of things with regards to navigation around more complicated levels.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#44]
Grisu: What Genexi2 said =]

Genexi2: No it doesn't really cause confusion, as I have played the current version 6 classic levels a few times now and I never have trouble navigating the levels. But I want to add a little bit of spice.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#45]
can't the solid parts just be a faint (dark) blue or purple or whatever the colour that the walls are?

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#46]
Grey: If you can tell me how I can detect how to draw that based on a level being made only out of lines, then I'm willing to give that a try.

Everything is possible, I'm collecting ideas and letting them rest for a while, while I work on the tools (did a lot of optimisation and streamlining on those tonight) and some game issues. The eye candy can be added any time , really.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#47]
For solid colouring you would probably need a polygon tessalate function. There are a couple in the archives for b3d but not sure if this is possible in max? Personally, I think it isn't worth the effort ;)

Stevie

big10p(Posted 2006) [#48]
You could try hatching out the solid areas with diagonal, parallel lines. Maybe have the hatching fainter, or use a darker colour (purple, or something), so as not to make them too obtrusive.

Would this not be easy(ish) to do in your editor? Not sure if adding so many extra lines/vectors would slow things down any but, then again, you could have the lines spaced reasonably far apart, so as not to choke the system too much.

Just a thought.

RexRhino(Posted 2006) [#49]
Yeah, I agree with big10p... diagonal, parallel lines would be the way to go for solids. I think have shapes filled in would kind of ruin the vector look and feel of it. I like that it looks like an actual vector beam display, that is part of the novelty of the game!

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#50]
Yup.

u2o(Posted 2006) [#51]
This is looking very sweet, and something I am looking forwards to have a play with.

As for the solids, yes, solid parallel lines, just like on the old C64:

Keep up the good work!

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#52]
I tried to add dim lines to the outside of the level, and unfortunatly it looks dull. :/ The glowing lines are best viewed when they are bright, making them more subdued makes then just.. lines.. Ugly compared to the neon like rest of the display. Gotta try something else...

But I think the game doesnt need it to make it clearer what is open space and what is solid... It's just that screens look a bit dull. There is never a dull moment in the game though =]

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#53]
OK! I've uploaded a zip file to my website, containing the beta of the game and editors.

in game controls:
A: rotate left
S: rotate right
SHIFT: shield / beam
ENTER: fire
ESC: quit
P: Pause
0: Skip level

The game ENDS after you have finished the last level, there is no sound, reverse gravity or invisible levels mode yet. Hi-scores are buggy... (very buggy :)) )

Other than that, I am looking for indications of performance, bugs, OF THE CLASSIC LEVELS AND GAMEPLAY and suggestions on the editors.

editing:

Press F1 in the editors to read about the controls.
You can load the .wob files of the game into the world editor to see how I've created them.
After you create a level, add it the the playlist to try it in-game. You CAN create rotating worlds, but you cannot finish them, so be prepared for that :)

If you have questions, just ask here.

oh, I nearly forgot : http://members.home.nl/wdw/files/TEBeta.zip
Just unpack with folders intact, and the game uses OpenGL!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#54]
Will test this soon!

Btw:
Your default control keys are quite unusual. As in thrust deluxe. How about cursor keys or normal "wasd" as default?

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#55]
The default keys are akin to those of the original Thrust (at least the Commodore 64 version). They work remarkably well for the game once you've played it for a few seconds, despite appearances. :o)

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#56]
Grisu: what's normal about "wasd" for a game which has only rotate and thrust as movement?
Also, what LineOf7s said: it's like the c64 version, and it works really well.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#57]
Had a very quick play (couldn't resist!). It's very nice and smooth. I noticed that you've gone for a segmented pod cord, which changes play/dynamics quite a lot. Not sure yet whether thats good or bad. Maybe you could make it a different number of segments in different levels. :)

CopperCircle(Posted 2006) [#58]
Hi, I tried it and the ThrustMain wont run, just flashes up a window and closes, the editors run but show no gfx, and have some of the desktop showing through?

Im running XP and a Intel 915GL Express Gfx Card.

Screens shots look great, cant wait to play :)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#59]
Similar here. When I double-click the game exe, nothing happens - not even a window flashing up.

If the game runs in a mode > 800x600, I won't be able to play, anyway. :(

win98SE, GeForce2 GTS 32MB

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#60]
I know that these are the c64 control keys!
Nevertheless I hope you have the configuration menu up soon.

The game runs fine for me (smooth and all) = x850xt-pe.
But I have no sounds/music at all! I only have an onboard chip!

Could you add some engine particles to the ship?

And yes, somehow this game looks cool but a bit "empty".

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#61]
Beak: yes, it changed the gameplay a bit, but that's what I want to do. Make it a bit more of this time.

CopperCircle: That's strange. I'm using nothing special in the editors, just GUI commands and a canvas to draw on. And the game, have you extracted with folders intact? It should contain a media folder.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#62]
Grisu:
The game ENDS after you have finished the last level, there is no sound, reverse gravity or invisible levels mode yet. Hi-scores are buggy... (very buggy :)) )

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#63]
Grisu: i mentioned in the post that there is no sound yet. It's beta you know, and probably the only version i will send out publically before release.
particles to ship? dunno yet. I don't like the look of it really in this game.

I'm gonna add a decent graphicsmode checker to the game soon. That should solve most your problems with starting the game. I tried on 3 machines over here and the game just runs (nvidia, ati and on-board chip) so I thought it was good enough for now.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#64]
I've updated the archive, and included an exe which will scan for available grpahicsmodes before it starts. Just a quick fix to get you guys with problems going.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#65]
Sweet, I could waste all day playing this.

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#66]
Plays fine here. Very cool.

I can understand the segmented cord thing from the 'making it a bit different' angle, but combined with the stretchyness just goes too far I feel. It feels more like its there to be clever rather than add anything.

I mean what space scientist in their right mind would develop a 'tractor beam cord thing' that is so damn difficult to control ?

If it stays, then there should be pod to ship collisions too.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#67]
Suggestions for the editor:

1. Could you add some sliders, so that when one uses a smaller resolution, the user can scroll the grid + button bar?

2. An UNDO Button (haven't found one).

For the game:
Will the game save if you have passed a level.
So one won't need these passwords as in thrust deluxe?

P.S.: Yes the highscores are still VERY buggy! ;)

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#68]
Grisu:

* You can scroll the grid now with holding the right mouse button and moveing. As the grid is infinite, it's very hard to add a slider :))
* Yes, sliders need to be added to the toolbar. will do.
* Undo: thought of it. will do.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#69]
Just downloaded again but the new exe to check graphics modes doesn't seem to be there. I'm still getting the same result when running the main exe i.e. nothing happens.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#70]
Very nice and smooth. I like it alot!!

P4 3mhz , gfx440mx

Bug Report : On the first level I killed the limpet, shot the reacton until countdown started, picked up the orb and flew upwards ... I thought I'd made it but exploded and lives counter continued to go down to -1000 before I had to quit using the task manager.

The gravity seems a touch too strong but as I haven't played the original for a while I could be wrong!

Will try the editor in later on.

Stevie

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#71]
Possible AI glitch:

The tanks sometimes fire on the ground right "in front" of them. - Can't remember if that was in the original as well.
They should always shoot "away" (depending on their position) from them...

Oldtimefun(Posted 2006) [#72]
The movement feels great and the gravity i think is spot on. The turrets seem to fire blind as Grisu says, i remember them being more of a pain when dropping down into the planet.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#73]
Love it so far, only had about 5 min to play, works good so far...a couple of notes..

i) The Warp-line idea I feel breaks the immersion slightly, possibly remove it to make the transitions seamless?

2) When out of fuel, if you hold both the thrust and the tractor keys, fuel goes to -1.

Dont know if it's me, but from what I can recall, didn't the original game have a little less gravity/air friction? Haven't tried the editor yet, but I'll play with it for a bit afterwards when I got more time.

Quite love the fact the interface/graphics style is the same as your previous project Grid Assault, any plans for another project doing the same after this?

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#74]
Absolutely superb! Runs smooth as silk here, and the playability feels spot on.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the ship "warp" when you reach orbit.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#75]
Had a very quick play (couldn't resist!). It's very nice and smooth. I noticed that you've gone for a segmented pod cord, which changes play/dynamics quite a lot. Not sure yet whether thats good or bad. Maybe you could make it a different number of segments in different levels. :)
The jury is still out on the segmented line. some like it, others loathe it. I'm going to make it less 'stringy' first though.
I can understand the segmented cord thing from the 'making it a bit different' angle, but combined with the stretchyness just goes too far I feel. It feels more like its there to be clever rather than add anything.

I mean what space scientist in their right mind would develop a 'tractor beam cord thing' that is so damn difficult to control ?

If it stays, then there should be pod to ship collisions too.

Well, the rod isn't there to be clever, I really want to do something with it. Orb > ship collision sounds interesting, and it's something that wasn't possible in the old game.
LOL about the space scientist :)

Will the game save if you have passed a level.
So one won't need these passwords as in thrust deluxe?

That would require a player profile, which sounds great. I'll look into it.

Just downloaded again but the new exe to check graphics modes doesn't seem to be there. I'm still getting the same result when running the main exe i.e. nothing happens.

OK , I'll create a more robust screen resolution scanner and add a proper config menu.

Bug Report : On the first level I killed the limpet, shot the reacton until countdown started, picked up the orb and flew upwards ... I thought I'd made it but exploded and lives counter continued to go down to -1000 before I had to quit using the task manager.

The gravity seems a touch too strong but as I haven't played the original for a while I could be wrong!

Thanks for the bug, I will check it out. The gravity seems fine by me, really.

Possible AI glitch:

The tanks sometimes fire on the ground right "in front" of them. - Can't remember if that was in the original as well.
They should always shoot "away" (depending on their position) from them...

True. I also noticed this. They also fire at a fixed rate right now, but that will be changed later on as well.

i) The Warp-line idea I feel breaks the immersion slightly, possibly remove it to make the transitions seamless?
2) When out of fuel, if you hold both the thrust and the tractor keys, fuel goes to -1.

1: You mean the Wrap line? Yes, it's supposed to be hidden. I forgot :)
2: Thanks, will fix that.

Quite love the fact the interface/graphics style is the same as your previous project Grid Assault, any plans for another project doing the same after this?

I hope so, I have a few game designs laying around.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the ship "warp" when you reach orbit.

I agree, I need something more spectacular.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Very helpful.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#76]
Just wanted to say that I like the "warp" anim at the end of the level. - What a dislike a bit is the fading in and out when I crash my ship though.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#77]
Been playing around some more, made me a map, but soon realized that the scale was too small, should have inserted a player ship when creating the world object. :P

Do the wrap lines have to be perfectly lined up to work btw? Didn't seem to work on my map.

I also seem to have some difficulty selecting objects that are not snapped to the grid...

And a gameplay thing, your ship can move faster then the screen can scroll.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#78]
Hi Genexi2,

Yes, "insert" is handy for that. I also use it to insert prefabs into the level, like the doorholder.

The wrap lines do not have to be lined up. But the one on the left must have as name "left" and the one on the right, you guessed it, must have the name "right"

Objects not snapped to grid: change the grid scale, so it overlaps.. sorry, there is no other way.

scroll speed: I'm aware of that little issue.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#79]
Currently finding the editor a slight bit of a pain to work with, mainly there's a couple things that bug me..

i) The lines are real thin, making specific chosen colors not easily viewed with the grey background, maybe give a user-option to set a width to easily see where the lines are currently placed?

ii) The editor apps seem to want to lock-up when you swap scales a bit and do a bit of zooming, seems to occur mainly when using the smallest scale
(where the most points to plot on are present)

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#80]
1 : good idea
2 : the grid probably should not be drawn when the smallest scale is used as thats mainly used for naviating, not editing, so i'll look into that.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#81]
Please give the player a fresh tank of gas when they die!!!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#82]
Gas is expensive, you know? :)

joncom2000(Posted 2006) [#83]
I second the fuel when you die, respawning each time with no fuel means you just die again and again untill all your lives are gone, not that much fun ;)

Apart from that I like the look and feel apart from the stringy tractor beam but it could grow on me.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#84]
hi all

OK, I'm back after a problem with my eyes (infection. ugh) so now I can see the screen again, which helps you know.

I've collected all the suggestions and bug reports and will fix them in the coming days. Thanks all!! =]

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#85]
Stevie G:

I cannot replicate this. Can you re-try it an tell me exactly what you do/see?

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#86]
Couple more things I've noticed.

- The orb thiner (which you need to rescue) just feels a bit too elascticy here, possibility of stiffening those joints or something?

- Your timing system doesn't seem perfect, my PC jerks for a second at the start of a level, then my ship then flies downwards at a high speed and crashes, rather then gradually building momentum on its own and crashing after a few seconds.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#87]
Genexi:
I already made the rope more stiff.. it's much better already.
speed up: does it ALWAYS do this or only when your pc is busy?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#88]

Stevie G:

I cannot replicate this. Can you re-try it an tell me exactly what you do/see?

I've had another few goes and I can't recreate either!! I promise that it did happen though. The ship just exploded continuously and the life counter went down at a fair rate.

It seemed to be the case that I almost made it to the 'safe' distance but not quite. Is it possible to get to the safe zone at exactly the same time as the countdown has hit zero?

Stevie

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#89]
I'll go check what happens if that occurs! Thanks.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#90]
speed up: does it ALWAYS do this or only when your pc is busy?

Dont know, only occured once so far, as my PC rarely "jerks" for a second. Will play around with it more and see if I can get my system to do it again.

[EDIT] Using FRAPS little video recording system, apparantly it occurs only when the PC is busy.
(for instance, my HD thrashing around finding space to put said recording down onto)

On another note, are you supposed to be allowed to clear a level without picking up the pod (or whatever it's called you tractor in)? Just realized I can just climb the horizon and it clears the stage without said pod.

steve_ancell(Posted 2006) [#91]
I think your masterpiece is great !

I don't like the control config though, I think it would be better to have:

[Up Arrow] Thrust.
[Left/Right Arrows] Rotate.
[Left Shift] Tractor Beam/Shield.
[Left CTRL] Fire.

Apart from this, I think it is the Dogz Dangleyz.

P.S. Or is there going to be a Re-define keys function ?.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#92]
On another note, are you supposed to be allowed to clear a level without picking up the pod (or whatever it's called you tractor in)? Just realized I can just climb the horizon and it clears the stage without said pod.

You can exit the level, but you'll have to return to get the pod.

P.S. Or is there going to be a Re-define keys function ?.

ofcourse

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#93]
On the subject of keys when it comes to pausing the action I would much rather press any key to start things up again.

Its all too easy to die when moving from pressing the unpause key to the control keys.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#94]
Just played your deluxe, your new incarnation looks fantastic .

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#95]
Man, this is so cool - I love vector games.

A couple of points though:

1) The keys are ridiculous - and using shift causes the 'Sticky keys' problem in Windows.

2) And the craft seems too heavy, causing you to crash more than you should.

Other than that keep up the good work.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#96]
The keys are Thrust. If you played Thrust on the C64 then you know the keys.

Wiebo's already said there's going to be the ability to redfine the keys, so why mention it again?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#97]
Why again? Because it seems like more people prefer a normal keyboard layout by default... ;)

Any bugfix update on the demo yet, Wiebo?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#98]

so why mention it again?

Because using the shift key several times the game is actually halted by Windows (thrown back to the desktop) because of the 'Sticky Keys' problem - I don't think anybody mentioned that. This is obviously more than me just being picky.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#99]
Regarding controls, best way to tackle that imo is to have 2 pre-sets, "Classic" (what it is now), & "Modern" (use arrow keys or something).....then an additional set that allows redefining of the keys.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#100]
100th post! :)

Nice looking game by the way, vector gfx always has a nice retro and nostalgic feel to it. :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#101]
Because using the shift key several times the game is actually halted by Windows (thrown back to the desktop) because of the 'Sticky Keys' problem - I don't think anybody mentioned that. This is obviously more than me just being picky.

Yes, that is a fair point and I apologise for neglecting to mention that in my other post - it's not just you being picky.

Sticky Keys, for the record, surely has to be among the most annoying 'enhancements' ever.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#102]
Least you can turn off StickyKeys...
(for those unsure how, Control Panel -> Accessibility Options -> Sticky Keys "Settings" button -> Uncheck "Use shortcut")

But for the record, it is on by default, and as we probably already know, alot of people still haven't turned it off.

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#103]
will there be gamepad control?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#104]
^^ with force feedback support? :)

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#105]
This looks cool.
Love the graphics, What program did you use to make those lines neon?

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#106]
What program did you use to make those lines neon?

From a week ago earlier in this same thread:
RexRhino: I use the texuredpoly module by indiepath

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#107]
oh coool i loved your first remake

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#108]
Thanks all.

Due to hot weather and therefore lots of swimming and family trips, World of Warcraft and a busy period at work I haven't been able to do anything with the game. I will continue when I have time though!! :)

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#109]
Wiebo, I sent you an email to the account you have listed in your profile about the arcade-in-a-box stuff. FYI

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#110]
Hi,

If you've sent it to wdw AT home dot nl, then something went wrong becuase I haven't recieved it yet... Maybe you want to resend it....

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#111]
Hmm, weird. I'll send it again.

Do you have a spam filter? The subject was Thrust Extreme, I could see how a spam filter could filter that :).

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#112]
Back from the dead!!! It's still alive folks.

Can you guys give this build a whirl?!? I've added and tweaked lots of things so don't ask me what has been changed/added, just play and tell me what you think ok? This pack does not include the editors.

linkie: http://members.home.nl/wdw/files/ThrustExtreme03.zip

BlitzSupport(Posted 2006) [#113]
Looks beautiful! Couple of li'l bugs:

· Hold right shift to boost, hold left shift, then release right shift, then release left shift -- the boost gets stuck on until you hit right shift again.

· If you run out of fuel and die, you restart with no fuel!

· May be wrong, but weren't bullets affected by gravity in the original?

I love the look and feel, though, and Thrust will always rule.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#114]
awesome... I like the 'glow' effects of your graphics. Nice physics.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#115]
Great!

If you Alt-Tab out and then in again your ship is somewhere off screen and the viewport scrolls (away?) endlessly. I only noticed this cos I held Shift for too long and Windows StickyKeys popped up.

After the first time this happened I turned off StickyKeys, and tried Alt-Tabbing instead.

I don't get any sound. I guess there isn't any?

Really nice tho.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#116]
Nice!! No sound either but I guess that was intentional? As James mentions .. when you die with no fuel you re-spawn with none.

It's been a while since I played the last version but the orb seems easier to fly with .. which is a bonus.

Stevie

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#117]
wweeeuurrrg, still can't get my head around the controls. And apparently, you can't get to the menu while the "Press Fire" message is on-screen, after you die.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#118]
James:

· Hold right shift to boost, hold left shift, then release right shift, then release left shift -- the boost gets stuck on until you hit right shift again.

Weird. I get that here too... thanks for that one!

· May be wrong, but weren't bullets affected by gravity in the original?

You're wrong :) They were given the ship velocity. Will add that tonight.

I love the look and feel, though, and Thrust will always rule.

Right on!

Beaker, old m8!
If you Alt-Tab out and then in again your ship is somewhere off screen and the viewport scrolls (away?) endlessly. I only noticed this cos I held Shift for too long and Windows StickyKeys popped up.

I had that problem with stickykeys as well. It sucks but there's nothig I can do about that. Alt-Tab: Can I catch that? If I can I will put the game in pause mode when it happens.

I don't get any sound. I guess there isn't any?

fraid so. That's on the list after this bug hunt.

Stevie G:
It's been a while since I played the last version but the orb seems easier to fly with .. which is a bonus.

Yup, gave the ship a bit more power. Speeds up the gameplay a bit as well.

Warpy:
wweeeuurrrg, still can't get my head around the controls. And apparently, you can't get to the menu while the "Press Fire" message is on-screen, after you die.

I think I've fixed that bug. Did it happen when you had no score at all? There was a hole in the bonus counter method.

Thanks all for these quick responses. I will fix them and test a bit more :)

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#119]
OK! there is a new version for you to test.
I added a screen resolution changer, and fixed some menu problems. All settings should be correctly saved and applied now.
I made the rope a bit shorter, and added more segments.
I also added the 'classic' rope. Just select it from the configuration menu and tell me how all works out, ok?

Once i've fixed the inevitable bugs in this build I will start to add sound!
new linkie: http://members.home.nl/wdw/files/ThrustExtreme03a.zip

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#120]
You could try this:
StickKeys DLL

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#121]
Also this:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43250

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#122]
cool m8, thanks!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#123]
Stunning.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#124]
he, thanks :) I'm working on the sounds now. Nearly have all of them added already!

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#125]
Utterly brilliant! I can see this getting really addictive...

Two things: If you start pressing a direction key while the Get Ready message is up, it doesn't register when gameplay starts; and gameplay-wise, I think it might make it a bit too hard not to give some extra fuel when you die, since you have to go back a bit.

Really cool though. :)

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#126]
He Thrust junkies!

I've uploaded the latest version to teh Intarnet! Get it here: http://members.home.nl/wdw/files/Thrust%20Extreme05.zip

This version adds:

* Sounds
* Complete Game loop
* Reverse gravity
* Invisible worlds
* Hiscore ranks

Please play it and tell me how it goes, ok? I'm looking for sound bugs, game loop bugs, etc.
Please don't be harsh, I've played reverse gravity and invisible worlds all afternoon and my adrenaline level has reached an all time high !!! I can't believe the bloody corner in the final level, with reverse gravity it's a real nail biter!

I've updated all spawn points so insta-deaths like in Thrust Deluxe should be out of the question... whee

Angus(Posted 2006) [#127]
Really gorgeous little demo. I've played it several times, right through to the end.

I've always quite liked thrust games, but never really put much time into playing them. The presentation and speed of this game just make it a pleasure to play.

Any chance of mouse control for rotation? I like that kind of thing.

Congratuations on a great demo.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#128]
Still has the issue with the fuel not reseting when you loose a life. Other than that ... very nice so far!

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#129]
Stevie G: The fuel issue is not really an issue. I took it out :)

Angus: I'm not too sure yet about mouse control. We'll see.

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#130]
Cool game, but the demo went psycho on me. I destroyed the reactor thingy in level two and I was flying right-to-left close the ground near the big hole in the bottom of the map when the meltdown timer ran out. My ship exploded and then just kept exploding infinitely while the "Lives" counter kept decreasing and decreasing; it got into the -hundreds before I CTRL-ALT-DELeted the game away. I believe I was on my last life at the time.

Edit: Yep, it's repeatable. I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone else reported it, yet. I intentionally lost my first two lives in level one then destroyed the reactor in level 2 and got the infinite explosion/life countdown effect.

SpaceAce

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#131]
Interesting bug! It was mentioned before but i could not replicate it. It looks like i now can. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#132]
Seems like the bug I discovered in the first build ... I couldn't recreate though.

Stevie G: The fuel issue is not really an issue. I took it out :)

Why, seems a bit harsh to me?

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#133]
Well, I can play the game and finish the first 6 levels with 7000 fuel left. It's not really an issue once you learn how to control your ship and minimize your thrust bursts...

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#134]
Eh .. yeah but you've had a fair amount of practice ;)

Whatever you want to do but you'd be best to just go straight to 'game over' if you crash with no fuel.

Stevie

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#135]
And not see you cry each time you crash? :) hehe, nm, I'll think about the issue...

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#136]
Well, I fixed that die bug. Turned out I didn't tell the world that it already had exploded, so it kept on killing the player. But ONLY in the game over loop. It's fixed now! Thanks for that little nasty one Stevie and SpaceAce.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#137]
Just to let those interested know: I'm no longer updating this thread unless there is a new test version to download. I'm updating my blog with development news instead? Why not a work log on this site? Well, not enough functionality, and seemingly not dependable. and, I can post non-development logs as well.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#138]
ok, everyone. This is probably the final beta demo. But this one contains the Thrust Deluxe levels and 2 new Xtreme levels, so try it out! Get it here: http://members.home.nl/wdw/files/ThrustXtreme08b.zip
I'm interested in sound and play bugs!

Next week I'll be working on 4 more new levels (which will take the game even further) and getting the complete game done, so there won't be a new beta version out anymore. I think the game is as feature complete as I want it to be (the tanks are done, but not in this version, he he)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#139]
Could you start a new thread please? This one is getting quite long.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#140]
I'm no longer updating this thread unless there is a new test version to download.
there won't be a new beta version out anymore

I wouldn't expect Wiebo to be adding to this thread much more. I'm sure he'll start a nice new one with big shiny flashing lights when it's out of beta though. :o)