Clockwork Shooter - a day's work

Community Forums/Showcase/Clockwork Shooter - a day's work

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I feel bad posting new topics for something that took me a few hours when people are posting stuff that's taken them a year, but I'm not putting this in some other goon's thread.

So: refined, erudite .zip for your pleasure.

A story, why not?
---
So someone finally got the Swiss angry, and they've conquered the known universe, prompting every Heroic Little Dude to climb in his spaceship and head for Lake Geneva. It's your job as the Swiss master watchmaker to build the clockwork machinery of destruction that will defend your beloved alpine nation from the villainous forces of liberty and imprecise timekeeping. Connect the cogs together, shoot the Heroic Little Dudes, eat some cheese with holes in it.
---

An explanation, because someone's bound to ask:
Link cogs together by clicking where you want them to go. The large pegs on the cogs are what push the other cogs round. Red lines on cogs show where they will shoot when turned. The bullets from ships either shoot out the large pegs, or damage the cogs. Cogs turn red the more they get damaged, but repair themselves when they are turned. There's no end to the game, I can never be bothered to put an end in my games.

A picture, because they're worth a thousand words and my fingers are tired:

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#2]
MADNESS!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
I like your wacky ideas, Warpy.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
That's completely bonkers.

I like it tho...

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#5]
This sounds really interesting. I'll give it a try tonight.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#6]
Here's a new game!

PLATE SPINNING

This screenshot makes it look lots less fun than it is:

So I've had a revelation - there is a God, and He has a plan for us all....
His plan for this little dude is for him to spend eternity doing a cosmic plate-spinning routine. God works in mysterious ways.

Anyway, you control the dude's fate! Asteroid-ish controls for when he's flying: arrow keys provide turning and thrust. Fly into a plate to send it spinning, then press the up key to spin it more. When you want to get off, point the mouse in the direction you want to go (there's a line drawn from the centre of the plate to help you) and left-click. The dude will detach from the plate at the right point. If that isn't fast enough for you, right-click to detach right away.

The aim of the game is to get every plate spinning so it's pure red. Plates go dark when they're not spinning, and yellow when they're spinning too fast. If the plate the dude is on is spinning too fast, he'll be thrown off.

wily woodsman .zip

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#7]
Warpy, your ideas are pure genius!

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#8]
Great stuff! Keep it up.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#9]
If you'd care to download again I've added zooming and stuff, and an editor.

Thanks for your nice comments, everyone :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
I only read this, but it seems to me that's a totally new game idea, so I can only suggest you release this asap with an explicit copyright statement concerning the Idea and the concept of the game.

Then add some nice graphics and I'm sure there's a market for it.

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#11]
or, given that I've had more ideas like this than hot dinners, I'll leave it as it is for now.

...I can't do graphics anyway, I lack the skillz...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#12]
These ideas are great. You should try to become the offizial copyright owner. Like eg. Tetris, that is a big license deal, even a matter of prestige between Atari, Sony, Nintendo etc.

I am sure you would find somebody to add polished graphics.

How about to implement this in 3D? Doesn't seem to be to hard.
And it surely would look great. If you want, I could try to help you.