Gone Gold: Baba's Puzzle!

Community Forums/Showcase/Gone Gold: Baba's Puzzle!

Bukky(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey guys!

After many long months of hard work, our game is finally up and selling!

Check it out here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/downloads/babaspuzzle/index.html

Here are some larger screenshots from the game:

It was programmed in BlitzMax. Thanks go out to everyone who helped us out on this forum. We would've never gotten to this point without your help. Also, thanks a lot for putting up with my rapid-fire questions when we were in crunch mode towards the end.

-Dmitry
Apricot Games Inc.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
Shame it does not work on any of our machines here, I was looking forward to playing this. Btw, I think it's a BFG issue none of their games seem to work at the moment with the updated ActiveMark wrapper (or rather the BFG bug fix).

Bukky(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hmmm...weird. Why wont it run? As far as I know, BFG uses TryMedia's DRM.

-Dmitry
Apricot Games Inc.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#4]
I've emailed the guys at BFG, perhaps they can shed some light on it.

Bukky(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks!

Also, I've uploaded those pics :)

-Dmitry
Apricot Games Inc.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
Works fine on my XP SP2 PC. Seems well put together good luck with this. Nice art style too.

Some observations:

- I know it's a keyboard game, but it might be better if the mouse worked on the menu and if there was a menu button in game that could be clicked (as well as the Escape button)
- No windowed mode!
- When you make a match, there is an annoying delay before the next pieces fall down, why is this?
- Why didn't you anti-alias the edges of your graphics (characters/shapes/bonuses)? This is one of the major advantages of BlitzMax in my opinion.
- How do I know how far the next level is? I got to level 2, but I just seemed to happen after a certain time, there was no indication.

That's it for now. Anyway good one and I hope it does well for you.

Bukky(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hey Grey Alien, thanks for checking out our game!

We thought about the mouse issue, but we figured that it would be best if we had a consistent control scheme throughout the whole game.

There is a windowed mode which can be invoked if you press Alt+Enter. We should have made that clearer though.

Regarding the anti-aliasing...we had to cut out a lot of features to get the RAM consumption as low as possible. We'll try and fix that up in future revisions.

About the levels, it goes by point value. After you have a certain amount of points, the difficulty incements (i.e. the speed increases, you have to contend with more block pieces, etc.) I agree that a counter would have worked here as well.

Thanks again!

-Dmitry
Apricot Games Inc.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
glad you didn't mind my observations. Good luck with the game.

Xip(Posted 2006) [#9]
hmmm.... :P

You know... why do i get this feeling like iv played this game already ... oh... now i remember!
I wrote this game already! :P

LOL, yeas... thats nice, I'm glad i inspired anyone hehe, It might not be a 100% rip of, but it seems dam close to me!:P
dont you think?;P haha

http://xip.servebeer.com/?page=project&id=2

well, i don't mind... still, but i do think it might be polite to send me a tiiiny tiny email? or somthing ;)

i mean seriusly... not only do you have that special 3+ color-in-a-row insted of classical tetris side-to-side, but you also got those special blocks... and a TNT block, cumun dude! ;)

even more funny is, that i wrote the original Tetravus game over 10 years back, and it had bouble blocks that bursted on pressure, and special clear-all-blocks-in-a-single-color type of block...

i was not able to play your game very long... it had some screen problems on my laptop... but ther was a hammer block?:P and a screen-shot abouve that looks like you clear all the blocks in a single color? ... bah but what the hell, im all for coincidences :P

well, congrats for your release anyway... i never got the energy to Finnish my Tetravus2 game... so in a way, you made my tetravus concept live on... wiiiii :P

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#10]
and like 20 other versions before yours xip ;) should he mention everyone?

Xip(Posted 2006) [#11]
Show me One game out there, that has thre-color-in-a-line as a tetris game, and where you drop special blocks, and a TNT block that blows other blocks away... give me an url pleas :)

its obvious he played my game... but like i wrote, i don't mind, its nice to inspire someone :)

When i first created the Tetravus concept, it was in my 5th grade ... and i was what?... uhm... 13? 14?... I'm 25yr now, so thats ... 11 years? ... how well spread was the Internet back then?

at that time i doubt there was any game like that... so if there is nother games exactly like tetravus, the are probably inspired by my game to, i do believe i was first with this idea for a puzzle game ;)

look, I don't mind, and I'm not trying to be a bad as, I'm happy for him, and maybe it is all coincidences, but it does look a bit suspicious to me :P

Cheers dude

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
Xip: There are loads of games like this. It's just match-3 + tetris combined, an obvious concept with lots of clones. If you didn't drop down special items it would be boring and TNT/Bomb is a totally obvious powerup to add to a game like this. I have both in my Xmas and Easter Bonus games...

Xip(Posted 2006) [#13]
maybe... but i wont give up, i will fight this, moahahaha :P

nahh, I'm kidding, but i think you are wrong doh :)
never seen a game like this before i wrote mine 10 years back, and now evry one is making them huh? ... go figure ;)

Show me a game with exactly those rules, that is over 12 years old :)

its always obvious when you know about those simple ideas, I'm sure the creator of pac-man thought it was brilliant and original ...

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#14]
Uhh, how do I see this as another Ralph Baer vs. Nolan Bushnell incident all over again? I see this as being another time that someone wants to be more popular than the other. Good luck, but don't bring that flamewar here, okay?

Xip(Posted 2006) [#15]
lol, i just love how people Love to misunderstands every thing i write.

i say "oh, I'm happy i inspired you" and you say "uhh, flame war, you wants to be more popular... "

don't make this out to more than it is.

so, you are serious, i say, i wrote a game 12 years a go and now there is tons of games that works the same way... and you don't think ther is a slight shanse that i started it? or inspierd any one ho spread it on a larger base?

thats all, I'm not claiming rights, I'm not claiming fame, I'm not claiming anything... hell.. its my own falt, i even forget to put my name on the orgiginal Tetravus, or even the year it was written(i think? don't remeber)... so i gues my "claims" is a bit weak, but what can you expect, it was 12 years ago, it was my very first game, and i was ... 13-14? go figure.

you are right, maby thay did figured it out by ther own, and maby the never ever playd the Tetravus game... but if some one whould write a game with a yellow cirkle, walking around in a mizz, eating dots trying to avoide ghosts, don't even try and say the never was inspierd of a spesific game in the first place... dosent mather how primetiv that idea is.

now don't make this out to be more than it is, I'm not looking for trolls or flamings, i was happy some one wrote the same concept i did over 10 years back, i find that interesting... thats it?

so think what ever you want dude, and congrats to Bukky again!:)

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#16]
Hehe, okay... Maybe I must not've had that big cup of Chai Tea from Starbucks today. I'll be more careful... Hehe.

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#17]
columns on sega genesis.
Magic Jewelry on the famicon

both 1990.

i'm just saying, he didnt steal or was inspired by your game, but probably by columns which was a big hit and also had an arcade version.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#18]
Yeah, now if only you'd do a version of Hexic where you have to line up a triangle or diamond of objects in order to score? That would be awesome to consider a game like that.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#19]
I like the graphics. The font could be a little less Arial-like. I'm sure there are lots of free funny fonts out there. You only have to put the font file into the game folder and use the full filename with LoadFont (also make sure to use a filename that fits the internal fontname)

Xip(Posted 2006) [#20]
I agree with jfk, but i recommend that you draw your own font by hand, takes a bit more time... but looks alot nicer in the end :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#21]
@Bukky, cute looking graphics, pleasing on the eye. It all helps to make a finished product.