Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just so if anyone's interested ;-), TU dev continues...

Screenie from Level8 - CircuitRing Chasm

As before, the two level demo can be downloaded at
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pajones/TUC_DEMO.zip

(note this is the demo that was released last month i.e. does not contain the above screenshot)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#2]
This looks very original, the colors ae very nice.
Dling now, will post a proper reply later...

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#3]
Ryan

One thing to note - RMB stops the turret rotation. The idea is not to scrabble with the mouse but to use smooth motion to 'swing' it around.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#4]
I t was well worth the DL time in my opinion. Very well done. You put alot of love into this and it shows, it was very immersive which is always what a game should be. I was able to get right in to the game play and loose reality for a few minutes. I'm using an "out of the box" Copaq and the title screen ran at 16 fps (640x480) most of the time.

Overall
Excellent visuals, they all flow very well.
It had a nice sence of poweer to the machine.
Immersive and meaningful play.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#5]
Ryan

Thanks for the comments - glad you enjoyed it!

16fps - ouch. Would be interested to know your computer specs. I'm guessing your Copaq uses integrated graphics - possibly a Celeron CPU? The target is 30fps, anything below and the game starts to choke back the particle fx and turn off the glow fx.

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
Oooh - this looks exciting.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#7]
Really nice tron gfx style :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#8]
Really cool game.

The graphics remind me of a mix between Darwinia and that old game that was a pioneer of 3d in some way or another with the tanks and things all drawn in wireframe :)
In other words, they look beautiful and, unlike Darwinia, they don't blast my eyes out of their sockets in the attempt to achieve that look.

I like how the turret controls don't need me arguing with my mouse pad, but I find the right click to freeze movement thing a little bit odd at times. Have you considered alternative ways to do this that could be mixed in, such as moving the mouse in the opposite direction of movement in order to stop it?
(Would need some kind of gesture system, though, I guess).

The scene with that guy sitting on a chair looks nice, too.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#9]
puki
It's moleboxed - I seem to recall Win98 has probs with molebox and that you're running Win98 ?

filax/Picklesworth

Thanks for the comments (Battlezone was the original wireframe 3d tank game).

As for the turret controls, I need to offer a range of options here. Everyone has their own (sometimes strong)opinion about how a tank should work - some of those opinions are plausible, some are not, but I need to allow for a degree of user customisation.

'The scene with that guy sitting on a chair looks nice, too. '

That's George.