Farmsim (and a request)

Community Forums/Showcase/Farmsim (and a request)

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi all

As a paying job, I've been developing a small educational game.

The idea is to make the farm 'sustainable' - both environmentally and financially. The player spends 'farm points' to implement farm management practices (buttons on the left). After pressing go, the player will get more points depending on how well the farm's faring. The points can then be spent buying more management practices. The player can also buy/sell cows for points.

The request part: It's almost done, but I need a digger model. I've found the following;

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pajones/excavator.max

but I need someone with Max to convert it to a 3ds and email me (pajones@...). Could anyone oblige? Would be much appreciated.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#2]
Thats pretty good looking. Do you make the menus and stuff in photoshop?

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#3]
The buttons etc were created with Coreldraw, the interface was set up with SpriteCandy.

(and you can't help me with converting the Max model can you?)

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#4]
Either my MAX is a bit old or it doesn't have the neccessary plug-ins to open that particular file.

Does it have to be that excavator ? or would one similar looking be OK ?

Mark

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#5]
Mark

Definitely - if you've got one on hand.

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#6]
bah!

Sorry to mess you around, that model is probably OK - its my MAX that's bust.
No models from me until i've fixed it.

Sorry.....

Mark

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#7]
I sent you the model - checked even the exported model with Deep Explorer and it seemed pretty OK, few faces need flipping though.

Oh, and cool farm you got there!

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#8]
Mustang

Thanks muchly - I'll be using it in a short mpeg animation, so it should be fine. I'll post the anim when I'm done.

Mark
Just had a play around with your Simsail demo - great stuff.
For fun, I set up 9 AI sails and set the game to 'rolling demo' mode and the camera to cockpit view. I have a VR headset and when the computer got some a good speed up, it was actually kind of frightening - felt like it was going to come a cropper.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#9]
I grew up on a farm MadJack...so if you want some personal experiences or more on the inner workings of a farm feel free.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#10]
Chroma

Thanks for the offer. The game's pretty much done - it's part of an exhibit (for an environmental agency) at the Waikato Fieldays - day after tomorrow.

Trying to get the farmers to change their ways - i.e. don't let their bloody cows into the waterways etc..

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#11]
Looks interesting and very original! I think I remember you posting screenshots of this around when you started work on it.

I guess that's a bit of educational stuff in there, too?

I think you should get it published after the exhibit :)

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#12]
Oops - meant to post a link to the Fieldays site

http://www.fieldays.co.nz/

Mr. Picklesworth

It got shown at last year's Fieldays and there was a bit of interest in it, so I got funding to further develop it. As for publishing it, unfortunately I don't own the rights and the agency's going to make it freely available - but I've done alright out of it.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hmm, maybe this may look too much like WarCraft III to me, but you probably could add some WC elements into your game, since some farming sim actions are used in WarCraft games much of the time...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
Hey this looks pretty impressive! Well done with it.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#15]
Looking good man :o)

N(Posted 2006) [#16]
And here I was hoping for something like Harvest Moon :/

Oh well, looks good, I don't really enjoy these kinds of sims much though so I'll just exclude anything regarding gameplay.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#17]
Dont know if it's me, but the HUD is too crowded for my tastes, more-so in the lower-right corner, those circles are much too big imo.

But then again you did mention this was an educational game, so a different target audience is at mind, where things should be big & easy to work with no?

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#18]
Noel

It's designed around each game lasting a short time - 15 turns. You probably wouldn't find it very challenging, or perhaps interesting except as a curiosity - but it's more designed to educate and get farmers and the general public thinking about farm management practices - rather than challenge your average gamer.

Genexi2
Yeah - it has to work for a non-gaming audience, so everything has to be big. In the first iteration (for example), I had the GO button bottom right, not much smaller, and many non-gaming people were missing it (particularly girls for some reason? It's always difficult when someone's playtesting your game, there's a big purple GO button in the corner, and they're saying 'but what do I do now?' Jeez, what do you think that button that says 'GO!' is for? 'Oh, I didn't see that.' WTF?)

Thanks for the comments.