Removal Man Development

Community Forums/Showcase/Removal Man Development

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#1]
Well the game has been finished for years, been on sale, did okay, but this weekend I was going through some old CDs and came across all the backups and lots of old screenshots, so I thought I would put a little website together to document how it progressed.

http://www.100tinsoldiers.com/pages/manorwip.htm
http://www.100tinsoldiers.com/pages/manor.htm

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#2]
Your stuff looks good.
What do you use for modeling? Texturing? Rendering?

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
I had a look at this when I was over at Idigicon - It is very nice looking.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
reminds me a little of super mario - then again I see Spongebob in every brick.

Nice work!

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#5]
great work

more TerraHawks more Tiger more Zelda more more...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
yeah this looks pretty good. Played Luigi's Manshion at all?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
A good read - I remember the game very well.

Its funny you should mention that the testers went for ages without noticing you'd taken out the 'jump' feature. The often shoddy standard of testing/feedback was always a bone of contention for me.

Why did you take out all the puzzles??

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#8]
Excellent. I still have my copy of it right here next to me, it was a great game and still is. One of the best of Blitz for sure. Really great ending too :)

Jason.

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#9]
blitznerd: mainly Lightwave and Modo, I used Lightwave for Removal Man.

scribbla: if I ever get time I will, www.terrahawks.com might be of interest.

Grey Alien: hmm it rings a bell ;)

GfK: good to see you are still about, will have to catch up soon. The puzzles came out because TPTB decided they would take too long to put in, which is strange because the code was in and working, just a case of working the puzzles out and building suitable objects. If I had my way they would still be there.

The other thing is that I only wrote about the good stuff, I kept a weekly log of what happened and reading through it was very interesting :)

testing was a nightmare process and the main reason for not doing much recently.

QuickSilva: glad someone made it to the end, and I appreciate what you said.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#10]
No probs, as I said I really enjoyed playing from start to finish. I`m still hoping for some more games from you, do you still use Blitz? I love your Lightwave renders, some great memories there for me.

Jason.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#11]
GfK: good to see you are still about, will have to catch up soon.
Yep. I still float about on IRC from time to time but real life's kinda been getting in the way of late - I just moved house a week ago, plus a bunch of other stuff going on.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#12]
Hey, cool read. The other comparable development diary for a Blitz game is the Super Hamster Ball/Gerball one. Stuff like this is what inspired me in keeping a development diary for my current project.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#13]
I really like the look of that. Reminds of the old 'Everyone's a Wally' games. Is that what they were called?

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#14]
QuickSilva: there are rumblings, but that might be the curry, the first is a platform game, viewed from behind the character with, lots of bouncing, a few bosses and a lot of fun (hopefully), the second isn't exactly a follow up to RM but will be more of that style, based somewhere a bit different, new characters due to the RM contract, but if you liked RM you will like the new game.

I'm still with Blitz, mainly BlitzMax at the moment because of wanting go support the Mac but for 3D its still Blitz3D, until the 3D module comes out.

Jhocking: if it inspires anyone in anyway I'll be happy, like I said it was all written after the event with the aid of my weekly log (stardate 060603 ;) but I'm glad I left it a while before writing it.

JohnPickford: Everyone's A Wally was certainly an influence, along with Dizzy mainly because of the adventure stuff, as Grey Alien pointed out the viewpoint is borrowed from Luigis Mansion on the Gamecube, simply because that camera method works very well for enclosed rooms, and no getting the camera stuck behind something so you can't see what is going on.

GFK: hopefully catch you on IRC.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#15]
I love RM too, was good fun.
It had a fun and enjoyable element and was very nintendoesque :)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#16]
I'm still with Blitz, mainly BlitzMax at the moment because of wanting go support the Mac but for 3D its still Blitz3D, until the 3D module comes out.
Don't you find that incredibly confusing? I can't work with Blitz3D any more.

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#17]
thats why I haven't done anything in Blitz3D for ages, I've tried to stick with BlitzMax and XCode

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#18]
Is there a demo somewhere?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#19]
None that I'm aware of. Idigicon were never really huge on releasing restricted level demos. Pity, really.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#20]
> The often shoddy standard of testing/feedback
> was always a bone of contention for me.

Send your finished games to me, I'll certainly break them for you ;)

Zace(Posted 2006) [#21]
Hmm - looking at the WIP page - im Sure I saw REMOVAL MAN 2 !!!
Are you working on this?

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#22]
To drag an old topic up from the depths, I missed replying to a couple of posts.

GRISU: Yep there is a demo on my website http://www.100tinsoldiers.com/ftp/removaldemo.exe

Zace: There certainly was a Removal Man 2 planned, actually there was a Removal Man 3 planned as well. However with the IP tied up with Idigicon I don't think it will be worked on anytime soon, unless I can get the rights back.

Instead I'm working on a different game.

So would there be any interest in a Removal Man 2?

I'd be interested in doing a similar styled game, complete with the missing adventure elements.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#23]
Personally I`d love to see another Removal Man game after such an ace first one.

Are you still working with Blitz for your latest game? And how about a sneak peak :)

Jason.

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#24]
Yep still working in Blitz for the new one, BlitzMax this time.

Sneak Peak, hmm not too much to show at the moment, just a few concept drawings, a prototype and a healthy document.

I really would like to revisit Removal Man, but I have to admit that I have tried to get the rights from Idigicon before with no luck. It might have to be a similar styled game but with a different set of characters.

However I hope that anyone who liked Removal Man will love GhostTown: Ghoulham Woods. I would hope everyone who hated Removal Man would love GhostTown as well :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#25]
Sounds cool. I know for one that I am sure to love it :) If you ever need a tester then just ask, I would be honoured.

Jason.

andy_mc(Posted 2006) [#26]
I've tried keeping my own diaries. But they get depresing when you realise how little time you dedicate to writing the games, (and the games look terrible).
Still, here's an example of one:
http://www.andymcadam.dnsalias.com/games/rpg.html

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#27]
If that does not tell folks for the last time exactly why Lightwave is worth getting into then nothing will!

I bet it's even got kinda neat sound.

Seriously nice job there Mr.

An all too rare joy to see. Genuinely fascinating.

Thanks for the opportunity to be 99.9% positive, it really don't happen all that often. (never had a 100%, so don't sweat on that 99.9!) ;O)

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#28]
Jason: It might not be for a few months but I'll keep your offer in mind.

Ian: glad I made it to 99.9%, going to have to work on the .1% :)

Telesto: If I took all the time that I spent on features that never made it I would probably be really depressed, but there is no point leaving something in there that doesn't benefit the game just because you spent a long time on it.

Things don't always work out, I have 3 failed games since Removal Man, 2 made it to prototype but weren't fun, 1 made it to full gameplay mecahnics when I found out it wasn't working (it had nice features that I'm using again)

I've never been afraid to kill a game that isn't working.

Also if I'm working to a deadline it really helps keep me motivated.

Telesto: Stick with it.