TerraEd Pro (First release)

Community Forums/Showcase/TerraEd Pro (First release)

Filax(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi

Here is the first release of terraed pro :)

Note : I'm changing ISP provider ! i haven't web at home
i can deliver customer only when i'm at job.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=69

North(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi Filax,

this editor looks very nice and polished as far as i can see -> Gratulations!
Is this only usable for Blitz3D or might this work using BMax with MiniB3D, too? Did you do any tests with this?

Thanks

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks pretty nice!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hi North i have absolutly not idea what is miniB3D ?

North(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hi Filax,

Take a look here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=59650

MiniB3D is supposed to mimic B3D features as i understood but to what degree i cannot tell.

It would be interesting to know if I could use TerraEd Pro with BMax.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#6]
:/ It seem interesting but i prefer wait the official bmax
engine.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
@Filax, Your a stinky holdout you ;)

It looks very very impressive.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#8]
Lol :) like a magician :) abracadabra ;)

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#9]
filax: Still waiting for mail from you :)

Filax(Posted 2006) [#10]
?? What ?? :) I'm changing ISP it's very hard to reply emails :/

Kendo(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hi Filax: as user of TerraEd, yes I certainly want to buy the PRO version :-)

But Im not clear where I should email you with my proof of previous purchase to get the previous user purchase link (apologies if I am being stupid)

Is it blitz3d.fr@... or are you saying you have changed?

I look forward to hearing from you. Regards.

Murphy(Posted 2006) [#12]
the new email adress is:

blitz3dfr@...

Filax(Posted 2006) [#13]
No this email has changed look under my profile :)

Cheers

Murphy(Posted 2006) [#14]
hi filax!

how to you create those beautiful colormaps? let terradPro to the calculating and paint from hand a little bit over?

Filax(Posted 2006) [#15]
No the colormap are made directly by TerraED Pro (absolutly
not photoshoped) it's one of the great feature of this
version. In the demo version go to the

Map studio window => Colormap => Load Preset => Generate

Filax(Posted 2006) [#16]
First i'm finishing TerraFormat Pro, i'll add usefull feature.

Like you can see on this screen :) lol :)

Hujiklo(Posted 2006) [#17]
This is one stunning looking terrian editor - well done!

Caligula(Posted 2006) [#18]
Filax - Excellent work as usual. I used the first TerraEd quite a lot, and I am really happy with this new one - it is Absolutely Wonderful. The clouds are also a brilliant touch. Thanks for making this available!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#19]
Many thanks !!! I have worked really hard on this :)

Nathan24(Posted 2006) [#20]
Filax, I have emailed you couple times since realase of terraEd Pro about upgrade. I replyied to the email you sent to me announincg the relase of terraEd pro is this not your new email? Please send me to were I can purchase the upgrade my email is " nathan (@) myenet.com " Thanks.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#21]
Sorry but i seem don't receive it ? email sended now :)

Cheers

Filax(Posted 2006) [#22]
Do you receive it ?

ricky(Posted 2006) [#23]
I bought TerraEdPro yesterday and is amazing how easy and eficcient is to create terrains with it!!!! great job Filax!!!
PS.: thanks a lot for your customer service it was GREAT!!!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#24]
Many thanks ricky for the support, It's normal :)

Jaime(Posted 2006) [#25]
Hi! This product looks really interesting and I'm really tempted to buy it... :D

Is the "Water Tab" coming anytime soon?

Greets and congrats for the great app!! :D

Filax(Posted 2006) [#26]
Many thanks :) For the water TAB i don't know for the
moment because there is two problems :

- If i use cubemapping directly under blitz FPS take a knot :/
and blitz cubemapping have bug with big planes :((( Because
TerraEd can do big big territory.

- And (solution 2) if i use water with DirectX7 Dll there is
problem with Trees branch alpha :(

So for the moment i don't know what can i do :/ If anybody
have examples with DX 7 Dll (without problem with texture
alpha) call me

But for the next release TerraFormat pro coming... I'm
working on ! and next i think made a day / night cycle.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#27]
I'm working on the cycle day / night this week :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=2162&log=610

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#28]
Filax, what gui are you using?

Jaime(Posted 2006) [#29]
I've tried the demo at my home (P4-3.0Ghz, NVidia GeForce 6600) and it showed white trees... I thought it was a object related texture problem.

Today I ran the demo at my office (just curious because the comp is P4-3.0GhzNoHT but with a built in Intel 82865G videocard).

Surprise! The trees looks nice at my office comp (slow as hell, but with green trees :) It has something to do with the latest drivers from NVidia?

Tnx & Greets!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#30]
Chroma : a modified version of FUI

Jaime : hum, strange, maybe a NVidia driver problem ?

Jaime(Posted 2006) [#31]
I'm looking for version 2 demo on my old CD's... I'm pretty sure the trees worked fine...

Would you have a working link for that version? I tried with the old ones, but they didn't work (like this one: www.blitz3dfr.com/terraed_projet/TerraEd.zip)

Greets!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#32]
All is here :

http://www.blitz3dfr.com/phpfrench/content.php?content.24

I have updated the demo, there is now day / night cycle :)

Jaime(Posted 2006) [#33]
I couldn't find the previous version (the non Pro one) :(

And about the day / night cycle, congrats!! I'm going to re-download the demo right now :D

Thanks a lot!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#34]
Ah ok ! you want the old demo !? i have trash it :/ Arghh !

Tim(Posted 2006) [#35]
its pity that you've decided to get money for that, even if a person bought this product.. im one of those and since i know how much its worth and that you've just only dollars in your brain, it bewares me to buy it again :)
i can just only say lol to the price.. i bought your old terra ed and now you want money for the new version.. another lol
have a look on leadwerks for example.. an update doesn't cost money there.. and its much much better.. it can export to b3d or other formats and has better terrain possibilities.. but even ale or something similar has better product quality since they don't just think in money..

in short.. i will never buy any of your products again and can just warn everybody to buy terraed cause the next update you can buy again and again..
those products are quick worked and not for the happy customer.. you can code something like that yourself in about a week.. theres much code used in terraed pro already in the board..

all thumbs down to all those thinking only in money and not for the community or the customer.. its fundamentically that happy customers will bring more money than just many angry customers.. you will see yourself!
you are doing nice looking screens.. but this is mentioned to catch customers. it was a reason for me to buy terraed and when you talked about ted pro i was happy, cause finally the bought of ted weren't a mistake but that was a short thought.

so save your money and buy 3dws from leadwerks or ale or just wait for terraed 2 and after that terraed 2 pro :)
it will still cost too much and will just be an update (new written but still just update) of an older ted

3dws is expensive too, but:
- nice support
- community
- engine independent
- export many formats
- create meshes, create landscapes and add your stuff and entities..

ted isn't bad, but its not the money worth. when you bought it you will feel bad after 2 days, thinking it was a mistake..
you can't export terrain meshes or something, just the code to create the terrain..

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#36]

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#37]
Tim, tim, tim,

TerraEd and 3DWS are quite different. I have both.

Both are fantastic.

This 'Pro' version of TerraEd has some really nice new features in it, which make it worth looking at. The upgrade price for old TerraEd users is less than £15.00 and includes new media (palm tree, other trees, animated birds and butterflys).

Clouds, multiple terrains, shiny new gui, day/night cycle, in built animation for objects, glow filter, ability to simply change the relative address of all your files, multiple undo/redo, load other terrain programme files in and other stuff planned.

There are still a few things which Philippe (Filax) has to attend to, but in the main a nice steady upgrade and with future promise too. Updates to the Pro version are free, and you know Filax of old, he is a really fantastic coder so you know it will be great.

Dont give Filax too much of a hard time and try the day night cycle demo - its fab.

IPete2.

P.S. Oh and just in case you are still not convinced, 3DWS is actaully Cartography Shop version 5 (i.e.CShop4.x with a number of additional features which are all fab), I have been an avid CShop supporter and user since day 1, and I had to pay a lot more that £15.00 for the upgrade, but it was WELL WORTH IT TOO!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#38]
Tim, your comments make me sad :( it's your choice
to not like me and my products :) But don't say that the
people are stupid when they buy them ..

But say that i am a swindler who makes pay the upgrades is
WRONG ! Terraed is only one product of which i have make pay
the updates. Because this one have needed more than 6 months
of daily work (and not one week ..) i have rewrite fully
the code from nothing !

So, finally to answer you tires me :) Go to hell:) if you
don't like me, i don't like you :)

But I would be very curious to see your Terraed after one
or two weeks of code:)

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#39]
Well, you should expect this attitude from some customers, I would say they are justified in being upset for
upgrade fees for a small time program. Its not 3DSMAX after all, its a blitz made terrain editor. Loyalty to the customer is what initial buyers want, and i think a big draw to the small time editor market is the dedication of the developer to his users. I havent used the filax terrain editor, So i cannot comment on it in general. But I for one would be miffed if I bought a blitz product, then had to pay for an upgraded version , even if the upgrade cost was 5 bucks.

Two Good examples of small time editors that understand this are Milkshape and UltimateUnwrap3D. I wouldnt ask anyone who like the product not to defend it, but I also wouldnt argue with somoene who is upset about the method of sales who had previously bought into it, unless filax made it clear to begin with that upgrades would cost. I think its a bad move to charge for the upgrade, but thats just me and my 2 cents..

Filax(Posted 2006) [#40]
RifRaf : I agree too ! but like you say i's not 3DS max :)

The first TerraEd was coded there is two years ! Would the
problem it have been different if I had named TerraEd Pro by
another name? i don't know ...

So don't blame me i'm saling more than 6 products and
TerraEd is the only one with this method .... Nobody is
perfect :) And i do not oblige anybody to buy by the force !

But I also understand your point of view... But i repeat
it's not 3DS max, in france TerraEd Cost 3 boxes of
cigarette...

Its funny the persons who criticize my products or my
methods sale also an world editor's:)

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#41]
I wouldnt pretend that this point of view is based on competition .

I dont even try to pimp my editor on this site anymore, I never compared mine to yours and I never brought it up, you did.

I think your sales tactics of double dipping into existig customers pockets is poor. I wasnt talking about your product, i was talking about your sales methods.

I also wouldnt assume there are only two ppl with this point of view. I would only assume that only two people have posted their views.

I didnt mention anything about the price of your product, I was talking about charging already existing customers to upgrade. The overall price I dont even know what that is, apparently its 3 packs of ciggeretts. I dont think its a bad idea to increase the price as you think it becomes more valuable. My comment was ONLY about recharging existing customers for improvements on what they already bought.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#42]
I am reassured:) I thought that the world hated me :)

After this very enthralling discution:) I think adding a
module like SpeedTree to manage high quality trees on the
grounds, i started tests and that result is very cool.

Stay connected :)

Kornflex(Posted 2006) [#43]
Woot very nice !!! well done filax again :p

Kissme(Posted 2006) [#44]
Very impressive ! your trees rocks better than aliencodec !

Caligula(Posted 2006) [#45]
Filax, I am a satisfied customer of all your products and did not mind purchasing the Pro version even though I bought the first version way back when. I thought the upgrade was reasonable, and the additional features and enhancements were well worth the price. If indeed you are adding something like Speedtree, then I guess I will get even more bang for the buck!

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are many great software choices in the Blitz community. I personally like to try and support some of the long time Blitz contributors (like Filax, Halo, SSwift, the JV-ODE guys along with many others) through buying their products when I can afford them. Most of these guys (and gals?) have also contributed free source code and demos as well.

The bottom line is that they save me a lot of time and make some of the more mundane aspects of game creation much easier. Also, realizing the amount of work that goes into some of these applications, they actually seem incredibly cheap to me sometimes. Hell, it blows my mind how cheap (and wonderfully capable) Blitz3D is in the first place.

I wish people wouldn't resort to trashing each other on the forums so much -whether you like something or not, just vote with your dollars.

Anyway - Sorry for the long winded spiel ;)

maximo(Posted 2006) [#46]
Filax, what does it mean that you will add speedtree to your editor? Is't speedtree really expensive to license for game engines? What are then benifits and who will be able to use it if expensive license is needed? But it would look damn good if we could have trees like this in blitz

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#47]
Maximo,

I think he means along the lines of not actually SpeedTree. Filax is experimenting with something similar.

IPete2.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#48]
Hi :)

Hum :) i clarify ! i'm making my hown system 'like' speedtree :)

This system (like the sun / day ) will be integrated directly
under terraed. But i'm working before with external include,
test them, and when i think that good, i merge them under terra.

The screenshot (above) is the result of this module under blitz.
I'm fighting for the moment with zorder problem, but i'm obstinated :)

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#49]
Filax, if you're using single surface for the trees then there's no reason to hide the trees as they get farther away. You'll still pay the tris rendering if you "hide" them. The only way to cut down on the polys that way is to destroy the tree. Even if you move the tree -50000 on the y axis it will still be rendered because in a single surface system everything is being rendered no matter where it is. The benefit of a single surface system is that even though you're rendering everything regardless of where it's positioned, you're only rendering 1 mesh of 1000 trees instead of 1000 separate trees.

I hope you're going to credit Rob for using his single surface stuff...it would be nice.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#50]
Also, you can use 1 mesh for all the leaf sprites for all the same type of trees. So if you have 100 oak trees, all the leaf sprites will count as 1 mesh. Then create a new layer for the oak trunks and lump them all together. So when you're rendering 100 oak trees you're actually only rendering 2 meshes. Rob's sprites will automatically point towards the camers which will be just like SpeedTree.

I'm going to finish up my tree system similar to SpeedTree (SuperTree) and release for all to use. It uses Rob's single surface code just like yours. I won't be charging for it.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#51]
Filax, include many types of trees and make it look good and you will have a KILLAR product, I'll be buying it if you have trees that are looking as good as the one in the screenshot above ;)

sigi(Posted 2006) [#52]
I fully agree with Caligula.

Nielsporter(Posted 2006) [#53]
Cant wait to se the next update. Filax . Speedtree like module. Its look like Bethsofts Oblivion. A Question , will there
be weather cycles too.
I am Stunned. The colors in the first release of TerraEdit are beutifull.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#54]
"will there be weather cycles too" : Hehe :) Do you read my
brain ? ;)

Chroma : I'm not using Rob ss system because it's impossible
to download it ! I'm using a modified version of the single
surface library of Gignops from http://blitzklan.free.fr

But i have many problems with sprite Zorder :/ But we are
working on :)

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#55]
Here's the link Filax:

http://www.gamefreax.fsnet.co.uk/downloads/singlesurfacestuff.zip

It's very nice and easy to understand.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#56]
Work on Filax, If you put this into your system I'm buying, and make lots of trees. Otherwise no reason for me to buy just editor with those old simple trees is nothing special, but these trees and any other goodies you can throw in would be damn interesting! ;)

maximo(Posted 2006) [#57]
Filax I demand an answer!!!

and screenshots so I know that the hostage is alive!

If you keep to hold the "TerraEd Pro" as hostage, and not release as we demand from you we'll break in and free it!!!

Also we'll be sure to free speedtree!

Our demands must be met or we will attack!

:D

Filax(Posted 2006) [#58]
Lol :) i'm affraid :)

maximo(Posted 2006) [#59]
Filax take a look at this for inspiration:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=395037

homepage:
http://www.fluidinteractive.com/graphics/planta

video:
http://www.fluidinteractive.com/public/dnlcounter/odtrack.php?url=hugePlantaMovie01MR

This thing is free for non-comercial use.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#60]

maximo(Posted 2006) [#61]
hi filax ;) report in!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#62]
I'm trying :) but for the moment i have a fuc.... problem
with Zorder :( s..t

maximo(Posted 2006) [#63]
don't give up, look for help from other coders if you need! next time report with some screenshots ;)

ricky(Posted 2006) [#64]
Ja,ja,ja!! Hey Maximo let the man work... we“ll see a great work at the end, don“t doubt it!!!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#65]
Before continue trees i must finish to put sun /night under terraed :/ :)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#66]
yes please ...

IPete2.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#67]
Don't panic IPete2 :)

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#68]
heh..moaning gits..
- buy it or dont...upgrade or dont...stop bitchin..

;):p

Tim(Posted 2006) [#69]
"Tim, your comments make me sad :( it's your choice
to not like me and my products :) But don't say that the
people are stupid when they buy them ..

But say that i am a swindler who makes pay the upgrades is
WRONG ! Terraed is only one product of which i have make pay
the updates. Because this one have needed more than 6 months
of daily work (and not one week ..) i have rewrite fully
the code from nothing !

So, finally to answer you tires me :) Go to hell:) if you
don't like me, i don't like you :)

But I would be very curious to see your Terraed after one
or two weeks of code:)

"I don't like the drug, but the drug like me !" M.Manson"

i just don't like that everybody just wants to earn money with a product.. sure its important, but are happy customers not important?

i know you are doing good stuff.. but if you sell it, make a more fair price..
especially for your customers (!), but otherwise i can just warn everybody..
terraed 1 wasn't cheap! why should i pay so much for an upgrade? even if it was much work??

so if you decide to buy terraed (im a customer of terraed) then listen to this words:

"So, finally to answer you tires me :) Go to hell:) if you
don't like me, i don't like you :)"

this will be the words you hear when you say you dont want to pay so much for an upgrade... and as i said: try 3d worldstudio from leadwerks instead..

so again: all thumbs down mr. filax!

IKG(Posted 2006) [#70]
@ Tim: If anyone is "tricking" people into buying something they shouldn't have to buy, it's you. You can go browsing around and view the other threads too if you don't believe me. Your so called "free" texture pack tricks its users into "donating" money. Don't be such a hypocrite.

By the way, 3DWS has terrible support (or at least it did the first few months after it was released; wouldn't know now since I left its community because of its support)

Filax(Posted 2006) [#71]
TIM : For me the subject is closed... Thank you for your opinion

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#72]
..i have first version of teraEd, source license, so, whats the price for same license, for new version??

Filax(Posted 2006) [#73]
For older customer :

13 for the normal version (terraed + sample map)
20 for the full (terraed + demo code + medias)

But i don't sale the source code with this version ! carreful !!

maximo(Posted 2006) [#74]
let's go filax, show me the screeeenshots! :D the screenshots!